Swift Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Toler

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Frisco, CO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Frisco, CO

Pros

For the most part lots of freedom to sell.

Cons

Get focused on selling products that clients don't need or want but they've been there forever and they don't want to lower revenue forecast to eliminate them.

Advice to Management

Get in the trenches not as a manager but an account executive to really understand the market.

2. "Got acquired by this company....so far not great"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Finally some flexibility with schedule (This took 6 months).

Cons

They don't invest in their people or in technology even though the company is moving into "digital" instead of print ....so why is it impossible to get new equipment and computers for the staff to be able to do their jobs? Management and staff get laid off or quit, but never replaced. The budget is never talked about ...so where is the money going from all these people leaving? There are constant new challenges, not in a positive "learn something way" but just systems and computers not working. I am underpaid by about $10k and can barely make a living as a single person without kids or a lot of bills...This is a 'professional job' and I've been in the field of graphic design and print for over 7 years. Had to get a part time job and freelance in addition to this job. No room for advancement. You get hired on as an entry level designer for entry level pay (because its hard to get consistent work with benefits in ski resort towns so you take it)...work hard for a few years, work overtime and grow resentful of it when it doesn't go anywhere. They have job opportunities in other towns, but they don't pay more so why would I uproot my life? Constantly considering waiting tables and being a ski bum instead of my profession because I'll somehow make more money that way. My skills and talent are going to waste and positive attitude has diminished. I roll my eyes at this place.

Advice to Management

Pay your people more and offer better competitive opportunities like bonuses. Be open and communicate better with all staff. Set reasonable goals and budgets. Department managers need a budget in order to run the department and they haven't seen the numbers. Provide the resources people need to do their jobs and hourly pay that is fair, at market rate and goes with employees' education.

3. "Decent if there are no layoffs"

Former Employee - Reporter in Carson City, NV

Pros

Decent salary and benefits if you can get the editor to give it to you.

Cons

Don't be in the newsroom, because that's the first place when layoffs come.

"Great People"

Current Employee - Internet Ventures Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Internet Ventures Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a workplace full of passion and community. Excellent way to stay in touch with local communities They have great benefits and good core values.

Cons

The news industry is struggling for new revenue models and is slow to adapt to change although they embraced the ideas and concepts the reality of budget cuts and market shifts makes the industry too concerned about pinching pennies and afraid of risk.

6. "Amazing Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Classified Representative in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Classified Representative in Carson City, NV

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership, good company benefits, co-workers and management genuinely cares about you, room for growth, welcoming environment for all employees, company works to build its core on family based values.

Cons

Nothing negative to say, I only left the job because I was moving to a new state

"What have you done for me lately?"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally good peeople to work with, a bit collaborative even though its a sales environment. Work/life balance is better here than in other jobs-no weekends unless you want them.

Cons

The systems to load ads into and use for IT are really cumbersome. There are a few people who are challenging to work with and resistant to change. I wonder how they are allowed to be so stalwart. And there is constant pressure for more and more sales. Do well, your goal increases. Never ever see the senior management.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of noise about new products and sales contests that is all short-term thinking. I get it but create some scenarios where we can look longer-range.

"Great learning with mild poverty"

Former Employee - Reporter in Carson City, NV

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Great learning experience best used as a paid internship — don't let managment know that though.
    • Relative freedom to write what you want
    • You're right near Lake Tahoe and Reno

Cons

• Low pay — forever
    • Shaky newspaper revenues that often lead to editorial layoffs
    • Sketchy hiring: typically this company (Swift Media) will hire directly out of college or close to it. Reporters stay on until they find out there is no financial future in the company and then they'll exit (not necessarily to larger papers). The company repeats this process about every two years, about the time it takes for a reporter to see the writing on the wall and head out.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on your "innovative ideas" and start investing in your employees.

9. "Friendly staff, fun work, slighly disorganized"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Carson City, NV

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff, training and general company community are great. Everyone is very helpful and pleasant to work with. It's a huge company, so lots of room to move around if you are interested in working in the journalism/digital news industry. Great sales training as well.

Cons

After sales training, the connection between managers and staff declines and you're on your own. For the sales staff, you have to enjoy cold calling if you are new to start. The commission scheme is not well laid out and incentive to do well slowly decreases as you improve, which doesn't motivate staff to work hard. Managers are very spread out and sometimes out of touch, since the company is spread across Colorado, California, Nevada and a few other states with smaller media markets.

Advice to Management

All are doing an excellent job from my perspective! The only thing I would suggest is to connect the various teams for quarterly meetings so we all know who we are talking to/working with and we get a better sense of what the sales staff needs, editorial team needs, managers need, etc.

10. "Strong company, great core values and working environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Grass Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Grass Valley, CA

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good , great working environment, nice community

Cons

None, no cons to list

"Large company with local, small town feel at each property."

Pros

Ability to work in a resort community with the support of a large, national company. Company is open to new ideas. Competitive commission structure. Healthy base pay. Good benefit options for employee plus spouse/family.

Cons

Lots of red tape. Lots of questions about what upper level manager's jobs actually are. Change is very slow. Lots of employee turnover. Some hypocrisy with enforced sales processes versus actual expectations in the field. Understaffed.