Swift Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Bill Toler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall Good Place to Work"

I worked at Swift Communications full-time

Pros

Company is fairly transparent with employees and provides good benefits. Lots of possibility for career growth.

Cons

Low entry-level pay, long hours, often stressful and deadline-driven work

2. "Okay"

I worked at Swift Communications full-time

Pros

Great Management and good people

Cons

terrible commission structure that didn't help out reps

3. "Saled administration"

Current Employee - Sales Administrator in Grass Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Administrator in Grass Valley, CA

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment. Good management.

Cons

Salary compensation could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your customers and employees. Keep doing team building exercises.

4. "Reporter"

Current Employee - Reporter in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Reporter in Reno, NV

I have been working at Swift Communications part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good media company, decent people, some great talent, always looking forward, respects the journalistic craft

Cons

Sometimes communication lacks since numerous offices run by the parent company

Advice to Management

Keep trying like you are

5. "So-so"

Pros

Really hard-working people, lower level management does the best they can with what they have.

Cons

Lack of direction, hesitant to evolve, resources are scarce and employees are stretched too thin more often than not.

6. "Got acquired by this company....so far not great"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Swift Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Finally some flexibility with schedule (This took 6 months).

Cons

They don't invest in their people or in technology even though the company is moving into "digital" instead of print ....so why is it impossible to get new equipment and computers for the staff to be able to do their jobs? Management and staff get laid off or quit, but never replaced. The budget is never talked about ...so where is the money going from all these people leaving? There are constant new challenges, not in a positive "learn something way" but just systems and computers not working. I am underpaid by about $10k and can barely make a living as a single person without kids or a lot of bills...This is a 'professional job' and I've been in the field of graphic design and print for over 7 years. Had to get a part time job and freelance in addition to this job. No room for advancement. You get hired on as an entry level designer for entry level pay (because its hard to get consistent work with benefits in ski resort towns so you take it)...work hard for a few years, work overtime and grow resentful of it when it doesn't go anywhere. They have job opportunities in other towns, but they don't pay more so why would I uproot my life? Constantly considering waiting tables and being a ski bum instead of my profession because I'll somehow make more money that way. My skills and talent are going to waste and positive attitude has diminished. I roll my eyes at this place.

Advice to Management

Pay your people more and offer better competitive opportunities like bonuses. Be open and communicate better with all staff. Set reasonable goals and budgets. Department managers need a budget in order to run the department and they haven't seen the numbers. Provide the resources people need to do their jobs and hourly pay that is fair, at market rate and goes with employees' education.

7. "Nice people... no plan."

I worked at Swift Communications full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is A+. Location of most properties is in resort towns, so the opportunity for travel (to cool places) is also great.

Cons

They are, first & foremost, a print media company. There seems to be little advancement in replacing print revenues with alternative revenues. Outlook may be bleak.

8. "Good Company but hard to make a living"

Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist
    Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist

Pros

Great people, great ideas, and forward thinking.

Cons

It was hard to support myself on the salary.
    I was an intern for over a year even though I had a degree and experience.

"Interesting experience"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer

I worked at Swift Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Swift Communications has some great projects and some good people are working here. If you work in one of the mountain towns you can enjoy the mountain lifestyle too.

Cons

Unfortunately their main product, the local mountain town newspapers lack quality news reporting and I would think that is the main reason why they are not successful.

While some co workers where really nice you have to ask yourself why some of the others and most of the leaders are still there. Some mediocre at best survive while others, hard working with great ideas don't last. This was actually the most surprising thing with Swift.

They also had a lot of silly projects the team leaders good reviewed on which didn't do anything to actually improve something within the company.

There is a big disconnect between what they want to be: A great family company and what they actually are: A great dysfunctional family.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you hired. Otherwise don't hire them. Pay higher wages so that people can actually survive in the expensive mountain towns.

"Once a nice place to work"

I worked at Swift Communications full-time

Pros

It's a great group of employees but the management leaves a lot to be desired. Pretty good pay for the area but no raises since 2008.

Cons

Still trying to charge premium prices for a substandard product. Out of touch with their actual worth.

Advice to Management

How is that full rate pricing going for you?