SwimOutlet.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Avi Benaroya

Pros
  • Free lunches, discounts on items (in 11 reviews)

• They have many ways to show appriciarion with lunches, contests, party's, and gift cards (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They will mandatory overtime you to death and work you like a circus animal (in 2 reviews)

• You will more than likely never work your set schedule (in 2 reviews)

1. "Its what you make of it."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in West Chester, OH

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a job that is needed to pay bills.

Learn anything you can, and either try to move around in departments or move on.

They have many ways to show appriciarion with lunches, contests, party's, and gift cards.

Benefits are decent.

Customer orders do come first which is good for a retail company.

Cons

It is hot and muggy in the summer but how many warehouses aren't. They have no problem with you getting drinks of water and gatorade which they supply.

The pay is not horrid but the increases leave much to be desired.

You do work overtime with little to no warning. And there can be alot of it at times (months).

The people never seem to be happy about their job ever.

Customers come first but employees need to also. Without them you have no business.

Advice to Management

We get everyone is replaceable including management but it should not seem lije a daily motto to be felt by employees that do their job well. A lil appreciation like "good job" to individuals can go a long way.

2. "Might be better than cleaning a toliet at McDonalds but not by much"

Former Employee - Associate in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Associate in West Chester, OH

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. They give you lunch occasionally, but you have to manage your own drink. 2. Paid time off accumulates for full time workers

Cons

1. You are not allowed to have your cellphone, only job I have ever worked that denies their employees the right to keep cell phones on them. So if poor granny is on her death bed, or your child is in a car crash, good luck getting the message! 2. The owner is from California by way of Israel and very stingy with money, workers are exposed to extreme cold and heat depending on the season and little care is given to their comfort. During the winter the only thing the company offers is dirty used parkas for the workers to wear. Hoodies are not allowed because the owner has a paranoia that everyone wants to steal dirty bathing suits and other merch from him. 3. Employees are constantly on there feet, this is the case at packing stations as well, other warehouses have stools at stations Swimoutlet demands the employees stand at the computer the whole time. If you are old or have knee problems you are in trouble. I would avoid this job if your knees are shot. 4. Pay isn't that great as they are very stingy with raises. 5. They hire a lot of weird people, very weird people. You got to wonder if the hiring team is drunk 24-7 because they make some crazy choices even people with perversions and criminal backgrounds 6. They will mandatory overtime you to death and work you like a circus animal. Mandatory overtime can last for months at a time. If you are full time this can be a problemo as they give out points like candy. Poor management and stretching employees too thin are the reasons. The owner is too cheap to staff the place up with a decent second shift, all the weight falls on first. 7. No drink allowed at the packing stations, they provide a baby bottle sized bottle of water but that is it. If you want a cup a coffee or a bottled drink tough luck. Most other places allow drinks as long as they have a lid. Not swimoutlet. 8. No headphones or music allowed. 9. They treat you like kids, some managers not all as there are a couple of cool ones, talk down to workers and treat them like poo. One even yelled like a crazy woman at an older female employee just for asking a question. 10. They have their favorites and pick on others.

Advice to Management

Go back to managerial school and learn how to talk to people. Employees work harder for people they respect. Treating employees like 2nd graders ain't cutting it. Stop the disrespectful talk and start being more personable. You aren't any better than the workers just because you are a "lead" or "supervisor" Ooooooh you are a big shot at a bathing suit warehouse, you must feel really proud of yourself. Get a life outside of work and quit being jerks. There is so much more to life than dirty swim merch. The owner should be ashamed selling used items as new. SMH

3. "Returnoutlet.com"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I have been working at SwimOutlet.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Christmas party is ok but money could be used for higher wages instead of 4k tvs
    Some paid lunches
    Gift cards sometimes for prizes

Cons

When you're first hired they tell you 8 hr shifts then that switches to 10hr shifts M-Fr with some weekends during "peak" seasons. Managers leave during 10 hr shifts after 8 hrs but tell you that if you leave you will get pointed. Points are handed out like candy by certain managers (you get 23 points until you're fired) but those points quickly add up when they point you for everything. The ipods have been updated to one scan per item which is a disaster and employees with consistent low UPH (units per hour) numbers are not fired because they always get lots of "props" during the monthly birthday meetings. The ipods almost never work and are always messed up. Managers will make you unload trucks, do odd and meaningless tasks that just seem to waste company time and your time that are disguised as "special projects."

Some co-workers are nice and hardworking but for every two or so there are others who mean mug you and don't even bother to say hi or even act like you exist. The managers in outbound are very strict and like to yell at associates like dogs then expect you to "move fast" and say things like "lets get it" while always putting you down during the start up meetings. The gossip in this place is like the Maury Povich show and if you tell one person something expect it to be all around the building by lunch time. They have tons of returns so it makes you wonder what's going on for them to pour in like they do. Most managers refuse to do things when asked so the employees get that work as well. The pay is very low at $11.00 for all they want you to do and that was actually raised after so many complained about it. I can't really think of anything positive about working here and would only recommend this job if you are a former felon (which they've hired plenty of) or someone who is just looking for part time spare money work.

Advice to Management

Make managers actually stay the full 10 hrs if they make employees.
    Stop hiring former felons
    Don't make prospective employees do free work if they aren't hired yet by picking orders
    Get a heating system for winter and air conditioning for summer
    Better pay instead of 4k tvs and amazon fire sticks
    Let people transfer departments who have been there the longest
    No needless "special projects" that waste company money/time and employee time when they can be doing something productive.
    Make sure departments are covered by enough workers so other ones don't get backed up
    Get air for summer and heat for winter
    Stick to schedules (people aren't robots)

"Better than nothing"

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in West Chester, OH

I have been working at SwimOutlet.com (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ Free lunches
    + Very convenient on work schedules
    + Friendly staff
    + Easy work
    + Fast paced
    + Lots of overtime in summer
    + Allowed to have water bottle and candy on the floor

Cons

+ Pay sucks
    + Coworkers are on a lot of drama
    + People go to HR for no reason
    + Very hot in summer, but very cold in winter

Advice to Management

+ Give raises to those who do the most work
    + Boot out those who do nothing or cannot hit their UPH numbers

"Pick/Pack"

Current Employee - Pick/Pack in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Pick/Pack in West Chester, OH

I have been working at SwimOutlet.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the most part you get to work by yourself. As in walking around picking and at your own packing station. All the people in the front office are very friendly and approachable. Very clean place and everyone is happy to answer questions. It is pretty easy to pick up after the second day i seemed ok being on my own. Just asked other people my questions. It is a good starter job coming into a distribution center.

Cons

There is NO heat or air conditioning. Very cold during winter. Your training is your orientation and then you are one your own. Ten hour days can be long make sure to get good shoes. Most of the employees dont seem too friendly..not necessarily rude.. and dont openly talk. Wish the pay was more.

Advice to Management

Introduce new people to others and explain the protocol more on the first day. In the morning meanings make them more positive than negative. Most of what i have seen seems to be negative not a good way to boost morale in the morning.

"Great for a fullfillment center"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in West Chester, OH

Pros

Free lunches a couple times a month; EASY work; management leaves you alone as long as you stay busy; chance to win gift cards at monthly meetings; great Summer and Christmas parties that are paid; great about taking time off; they give you gatorade on the floor when its hot out; i've seen more higher positions created/open up these past 6 months then the first few years i was here

Cons

Hot in the summer (but wait it's a warehouse so that happens); months of overtime was a pain, but that was because the company is growing; i work my butt off and get paid the same as others that barely do anything and they don't get in trouble

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for not being productive or doing things right; don't promote people or have leads that don't know what they are doing

"Probably the worst job I've ever had."

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in West Chester, OH

I worked at SwimOutlet.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide alot of lunches for their employees and have meetings where they give out gift cards. For their attendance policy they give you 23 points a year.

Cons

The work environment is hot and muggy during the summer. You will more than likely never work your set schedule. They have mandatory overtime. So my hours were 730-400pm when I got hired and two days later they turned into 730-6pm or sometimes 630-5pm. Supervisors and team leaders are constantly on your back about things. My "lead" liked to treat me like a child and be rude to me everyday. Just really long and exhausting days and no life outside of this place.

Advice to Management

When your employees come to you with complaints about leads disrespecting them, take sction. Do something about it. Also, don't work your employees outside of their set schedules for months at a time. It's exhausting. Actually care about the employees instead of treating them like they're suppose to be robots or machines.

9. "Great coworkers, tedious work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at SwimOutlet.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free catered lunches two days a week
    -You can tell that your immediate supervisors care about you and your working environment
    -Helpful, friendly coworkers
    -Doesn't take a lot of thinking
    -Pay increases as you gain experience

Cons

-The electronic system they use is really difficult to get used to.
    -Work is REALLY tedious and involves sitting on your butt all day listening to customers some of which are really mean.
    -Not a lot of room for breaks, etc.

Advice to Management

Pay CS reps better... we take the brunt of the insults towards the company and yet we are paid the least!

"Stepping stone"

I worked at SwimOutlet.com part-time

Pros

If you're in college, this is an great gig. If you're a new grad, this is a good gig. If you're stuck in hospitality/trade/retail and are looking to pick up some admin or Zendesk experience, this is your ticket. I was working retail, and wanted to transition to some sort of desk job, so I think this was great experience for me. I got the CS/Zendesk experience I needed and got out as soon as I was able to; I recommend this for others in my position. I would even recommend someone who might make more hourly (bartender, waiter, etc) to work here so they can have the experience and move up.
    I appreciate the healthy offerings here: There are fitness classes offered everyday (you must clock out to take them) and there is a gym and showers on premises. The gym could use some major cleanup and overhaul, but I appreciated having a cable machine and some free dumbbells. The kitchen was always stocked with spinach, cereal, milk, hard boiled eggs, oats, and salad items which was great. Lunch was offered twice a week and I actually liked it a lot; I never experienced raw meat and thought there were many great offerings (Costco). The people in my department were very nice; outgoing, welcoming, and helpful. There is a lot of independence in my role which I appreciated, and you get to make your own calls on a lot of things which is great. My immediate supervisor and the CS management team were really helpful.

Cons

I'll go ahead and address what everyone else has already brought up:
    1) Opportunity for advancement: There is no opportunity for advancement here. People have had the exact same job titles (albeit with increasing responsibility and same pay...) for SEVERAL years. Promotions are absolutely unheard of, and senior level management belongs to the CEOs' friends and family. Raises only seem to happen several years into it with employee prodding, and are apparently only a few cents.
    2) Poor compensation and benefits: Compensation is below average, considering that the majority of customer service has bachelor degrees, and these are 9-5 office jobs. There are a lot of people who have the same qualifications and skill sets that work retail jobs for less with unreliable hours and schedule though, so that's something to consider. It's just odd to have a desk job with this much responsibility and independence with such low pay. Benefits are meager, although there have been some small improvements.
    3) Nepotism: Again, all senior level management were college buds with CEO. Because no one gets promoted, you have a people who have been working here for many years swimming amongst a bunch of revolving door folks. There's an unspoken understanding that lifers can take more breaks, longer breaks, work offline, and socialize without consequence while newbies have their every move monitored. Honestly, it's the least that can be done as these people have invested so much of their time here.
    4) Office Equipment: The only thing worse than the chairs and desks are the actual computers. They're old and unreliable, and the headsets are constantly breaking. The software that's used has been hacked so badly that simple order placing takes easily 12 more keystrokes and steps than it should. The sales have outgrown the program, yet there's no movement in investing in another package. Servers routinely get overwhelmed, which is a horrible experience for the customer. The instant messaging software used also crashes constantly, and makes communicating with others extremely difficult.
    5) Other things to mention: Cutting corners is the name of the game here, and it's pretty exhausting. The warehouse is in Ohio, the software engineers are more than half a day ahead in Vietnam, and then there's another Canadian customer service team that steps in at night. You wouldn't think this would bother you, but it's hard to help the customer when there's all these other people in different time zones that are involved. Training is unnecessarily long and expensive, and that could easily be fixed by purchasing new software and retaining employees that have accumulated swim gear knowledge over time.
    Location: Lunch is offered twice a week, which is a great perk that I enjoyed.. However, the facility is sort of in the middle of nowhere, with no restaurants in close proximity. You can barely get to Starbucks (closest thing) and back in 30 minutes, and in CS, you don't dare be late or you'll be written up. I list this as a con, but it taught me to be diligent about packing my lunch. Others who work two jobs or are balancing children in their life will be really affected by this, though.

Advice to Management

At some point, it must be cheaper to retain employees than on-board new ones. The high turnover rate is insane, and recruiting, sourcing, sorting, interviewing, and training someone new every three weeks is a pain, slows everyone's workflow, and doesn't contribute to the customer experience. It's very clear what the problem is, it's time to fix it!

"It's a JOB not a CAREER."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

Free lunches, discounts on items

Cons

LOW PAY for the amount of work you do. Customer Service Reps don't get as much credit and recognition for all the crap they deal with. It's a good temporary job for a student, but it's not a career.