Systems Made Simple Reviews | Glassdoor

Ron Fishbeck

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at Systems Made Simple (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was so nice and friendly who worked there

Cons

Don't have any cons

2. "Tumultuous World of Government Contracts"

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Risk Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Systems Made Simple (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly think SMS is trying to take care of their employees. They communicate with them and try to provide training and promotion opportunities. The market of government contracts is volatile. Having unexpected things happen to contracts is not unique to SMS. I think the merge with Lockheed Martin was a good move for stability going forward.

Cons

However, I think SMS could be better at the political game. They seem to be blindsided by not winning or losing contracts more than they should. I don't know if there are problems with other contracts I was not a part that affect other projects or not. The quality of your work experience seems to be determined by who is the Project Manager. There is a wide range of experience and management styles in the PMs. It would be good to see that more consistent project to project.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with employees and have them know their vital to SMS's success. Forge better relationships with customers and "play the game" to secure future business.

"No Five Star Deserved"

Current Employee - Not Willing to Provide in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Not Willing to Provide in Austin, TX

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck and average benefits. Great place to go into partial retirement if you keep your mouth closed. Good transition job until you find something better. If you are in a technical position, then you might be career position.

Cons

Poor leadership. If you believe any of the positive reviews, they obviously come from upper management because they receive a sweet salary and stock options. There is very poor communication between the VA leadership and SMS in Austin. There is a lot of complaining about the pace and impact of the projects. The VA project management process is over complicated and a headache.

Advice to Management

Create a career path for everyone. Streamline communication. Stop putting program managers in charge that hide the facts and throw others under the bus to protect their own mismanagement.

"Office drama, incompetence and the party train"

Former Employee - Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Systems Made Simple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New office in 2014, Ruth Chris downstairs

Cons

Incompetence in every dept. if leadership were present, incompetence there as well. Clearly never had a plan or understanding of business after receiving a token VA award. The party started the day they won and the data losses, high attrition and customer failures started the next day. Leadership put a for sale sign up and a well known integrator bought them , no doubt without the knowledge of the ongoing investigation and latest media article. All but certain they will be off the VA contracts, their only real customer, due to past performance , loosing the SDVOSB designation and the aforementioned article. Google for yourself. Belive the bad reviews, they are from former employees. The good ones from current employees in HR trying to balance things out.

Advice to Management

Pray the gov decides not to go after you and the new owners never realize the effort spent obfuscating the company reality , numbers and stability. Never create another company, federal or commercial again. The tax payers will thank you.

"Great"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

SMS offers competitive salaries, benefits, etc. Upper level management is not untouchable. In other words, they make themselves available whenever you have a question or need to chat. They take care of their employees. My job was in jeapodary 3 times due to budget cuts by our clients and each time the SMS management staff found me other positions within the company; all of which were beneficial to my career.

Cons

I wish they had more permanent positions vs contract.

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees how much you care and you'll be a huge success going forward!

"Leading Company with bright future"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management values this company is very different than others that I have worked for. They are flexible with work hours and telecommuting. The culture is one of hard work and success, failure is not an option. Pay is good and career growth does look achievable. Fair play seems to be part of their DNA, which is something I like.

Cons

I would say that their marketing needs to be better focused within the Healthcare IT domain, they seem to be all over the place when it comes to chasing down opportunities.

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to be seen more often, you get the impression these guys have their heads down "grinding" all the time. They need to pop their collective heads up and be more engaging across the company.

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a contracting company they are great to work for. The pay is good and there is not a lot of "overhead" to deal with. I could see staying with this company for an extended period.

Cons

Since the headquarters are a long way away, they really don't know what we do here so they are out of touch with this contract. But that's not a bad thing always.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of people working on the contract in Austin. When you come to talk to them tailor your speech to what they do, don't show them a recorded speech that has nothing to do with what happens in Austin. They are making you a lot of money, treat them accordingly.

8. "Excellent Company to work for providing many opportunities for growth and professional development!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is very progressive in the market. Company provides many benefits to employees such as flexible work schedules, good health plans, and 401K pension planning. Employees have a small waiting period for contributing to the pension plan but are full invested with company match.
    Company is very pro family and allowed me to work from home during a minor crisis.

Cons

Would like to see better communication among senior level staff. New location in Vienna is not the easiest to get to as traffic difficult in this area.

Advice to Management

Senior people should continue to be more consistent in communication to employees. Allow managers to have full accountability in managing their staff.

9. "I have been an employee with SMS for 8 months and cannot be any happier as it is a great company."

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Martinsburg, WV
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Communication is top notch and promotion within seems to be very attainable.

Cons

None that I have encountered so far.

10. "An excellent company with high values"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Systems Made Simple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Allows for many people to telecommute
    The company is truly committed to conducting business ethically
    It provides an excellent bench for consultants between gigs
    The company has been around for many years. It has a sound business model and an active capture process.

Cons

Sometimes, SMS bids on work it does not have the best staff members to fulfill.
    It provides decent health insurance but the cost has gone up and the coverage has gone down.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of understanding current capacities (skillset-wise) before bidding on a job.