Talentlab Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Talentlab Reviews

Updated Jan 3, 2018

Found 4 reviews

5.0
Talentlab CEO Doug Martin (no image)
Doug Martin

"Great Opportunity for highly-motivated recruiters"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Talentlab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-interesting and challenging technical roles to work on -biz dev team does a great job connecting us with amazing partners to work with -lots of autonomy, very little micro-management as long as you're performing -driven by results, not metrics. -specialize in whatever vertical, tech stack you prefer

Cons

-lacking some protocols and systems for information exchange between business units opening the door for some administrative misses and communication slip ups. As we continue to grow, tighter processes will become a necessary evil.

Advice to Management

- while navigating our growth, keep the autonomy and results orientation in play rather than bogging down into metrics. Tighter processes don't have to lead to stunted freedom and creativity in getting the job done right.

Talentlab2018-01-03
  2. "Flexible working culture and great comp potential!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Talentlab full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Within a couple of years, you can easily make 120k+ with a manageable workload and lots of work/life balance if you are decent at recruiting/headhunting - Great management that empowers you to create your style of recruitment and develop your own career goals - No stupid KPIs or endless performance discussions! - Crazy flexibility to work from home, set your working hours, and lot's of grace given for... homelife responsibilities - Fair targets that don't demotivate, but still challenge you to do your best - Mentorship is very good. They actually want to see you grow your skills and career, so they will provide opportunities for Account Management, BD or even team leadership

Cons

- Not the place for someone who needs a lot of micro-management, no one will plan your day for you etc, so if you are someone that needs that type of management, this environment would be overwhelming for you - Smaller company that doesn't have offices in every city, so you can't rely on a recognized brand to sell services, you need to be very good at driving new business - Only about one team lunch or... smaller event every quarter, not a lot of pub nights etc - No plans to grow the size of the company and hiring is very slow. They tend to be cautious with new hires, and only bring new people on if the market conditions make sense, and everyone on the current team has signed off

Advice to Management

- Be aware some policies of flexibility or working style will likely have to change as the company grows

Talentlab2017-12-12
  3. "Not your typical agency"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Kanata, ON

I have been working at Talentlab full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small, well established, boutique firm. Lots of freedom, zero micro management. Great place for self-motivated people who don't need someone breathing down their neck, or constant hand holding. The team is supportive, good communication between the team, everyone knows whats going on with each others req's, but there is still a high degree of autonomy. Owners are great, professionally and very friendly and... welcoming from the start. I worked before in an environment with constant metrics, people watching over your shoulder, high turnover, competition between recruiters, etc and this place is the opposite. Small, tight knit team, established clients, knowledgeable about the Tech market, very comfortable work space.

Cons

If you need lots of support/training, micro management, probably not the place for you. It is for people focused in their career who can work autonomously.

Advice to Management

None

Talentlab2015-06-24
  4. "Best job I have ever had...."

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Talentlab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are so many amazing things about this job you're going to think I am the owner, but I am not. I started here 2 1/2 years ago as a Recruiter, and it's been the best job I have ever had. The owners are amazing! They both respect and really care about their employees. They have open and honest conversations about expectations, and work with you to develop a set of yearly targets that are both realistic, and keep... you motivated. They both have backgrounds in recruitment, and really understand how to do the job, and whenever your manager gets what you do, it means they actually can talk to you about how to improve. The clients we have are impressive for a boutique company and it's easier to keep candidates engaged. The real huge difference between Talentlab and any other recruitment companies is the focus on values. We don't lie to make a deal. We don't withhold info from our clients. We don't push someone into a job they don't want. We will never sacrifice our integrity to make money. This isn't just BS that you hear the first day, but its reflected again and again in the way we do our jobs every day. You are expected to actually try to help your clients and candidates find the best match, not just make money. I have never had a sales job before where I felt as proud about what I have done, and where I have never felt pressured to in some way do something 'icky' to make some cash. I can say feeling that sense of pride is priceless. The compensation here is impressive, after comparing it with several companies in the city I can say I don't think you will find a place that gives such a great base, with no draw, that still allows you take home such a high percentage of your placements. It's extremely easy to hit a 100k once you get your stride, and you have a lot of flexibility here. Both owners believe in a work/life balance, and give you a lot of flexibility to take time off, travel, be with your children, and make your life a happy one. You can work remotely, are given all the tools you need to do the job, and have swanky perks package to boot.

Cons

None. Seriously none. No job is perfect, but there aren't any drawbacks I have found worth mentioning to improve on.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Talentlab2015-06-02