Team One Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Julie Michael

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Smart group that wants to create the remarkable"

I have been working at Team One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a strong group of thinkers that are true to their motto.

Cons

It can sometimes feel like their a little too process-focused, where project management exerts too much influence.

2. "Where beige goes to die cannot be said often enough"

I have been working at Team One full-time

Pros

Work/Life balance heavily tips in favor not spending all hours in office

Cons

Its easy to go home early when there's no culture, camaraderie, or exciting enough projects to make you stay.

3. "country club"

I have been working at Team One full-time

Pros

country club agency, great lifestyle, middling creative shots but friendly people all around.

Cons

not gonna do great work here, but lexus money baby

4. "Media Planner"

Former Employee - Media Planner in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Media Planner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Team One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great name to have on your resume. They have a neat speaker series. There is a wide selection of coffee machines.

Cons

This was the worst agency I've worked for by far. They do not have a system to train or mentor their entry level employees. Raises and promotions take 2-3 years if you're lucky but they are pretty much nonexistent otherwise. Senior management is snooty and reek of politics. This place is more like "Team Everyone for Themselves."

The only account holding them afloat is Lexus so if they were to lose that, everyone is doomed. They try to onboard new clients but can barely hold on to them for more than a year, yes I'm talking about Dacor, PIMCO, and Indian.

Pretty cool office space to distract you from the miserable long hours you will be spending because they will work you to the ground and burn you out.

If you want a promotion, just take your title and apply down the street to Deutsche, OMD, Ogilvy, Mindshare, or any other large corporates available down Jefferson because you're not getting it here.

They were a 4.2 star company when I applied, but now their ratings have checked down to 3 stars. The turnover rate is crazy here because everyone is unhappy and tortured.

Advice to Management

Build a team and focus on promoting from within instead of replacing people with freelancers. Upper Management does not do anything and lets the work trickle down on others. But when clients are unhappy they are quick to blame everyone else even when they barely contributed. Everyone is so corrupt around here it's silly.

"Vying for an obsolete career / skill set in a year? This is the place for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Team One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits for a vanilla life - great work life 9-to-6 balance for those who are mid to senior level in their career and want to see their kids actually grow up. Summer days off. The company offers inspiring speakers, parties and events throughout the beautiful spacious office. Dogs are your co-workers. Enough candy, free food and snacks to sustain any millennial on a budget. Nearby gym, good standard medical coverage, FSA and 401k.

Cons

Nothing new under the advertising sun - if you want to try really hard to devolve into career mediocrity, this is the place to be. Outdated production/delivery practices coupled with people who've never grown from advertising in the 90s live at this office, and any innovation is hard to come by against the "process, process, process" that's in place and their main conservative automotive client.

Office politics can be backstabbing, recognitions are with the in-crowd at best, and frustrations mount over delivery issues that can be solved with this nice little tool called JIRA, which most people tragically find 'new'. There are some rock stars in the crowd (around~5) who innovate and try to push the envelope, mostly in tech and UX. Alas, 90% of the time that fails, and most people devolve into pushing the cart along the rails.

Having moved on to the client side, it's sad to see an agency - which is supposed to be the source of creativity and innovation, carry out such outdated practices, and be so out of touch with reality that they give their client everything but what they actually asked for. Team One needs to poke its head out and get outside of itself to witness the world is evolving a lot faster than they can keep up. But who cares when you're comfortable. Unfortunately, they are too distracted by their summer parties and keeping the veneer of "awesomeness" on the store front to bright-eyed millennials. When the idea of free food in the kitchen gets old, it's time to move on.

Advice to Management

Recognize and welcome the ideas in new hires; get in touch with innovative business practices and make them mandatory or else see yourself totally outdated.

6. "Team One"

I have been working at Team One full-time

Pros

Work life balance and people here are the best.

Cons

They don't pay competitively and the work is not very cutting-edge.

"Manager"

I have been working at Team One full-time

Pros

Very welcoming, fun, light hearted agency
    GREAT PEOPLE
    Solution focused attitude
    Great open modern office aesthetic

Cons

Management/leadership keeps long term plans quiet until last minute
    Hard to tell where you stand within the company

Advice to Management

Be clear, open and honest with your employees at ALL levels. There seems to be a major barrier between the lower level positions and higher level positions. Fix this an turn over would be reduced greatly

"You can do it your own way If it’s done just how they say"

Former Employee - Group Director in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Group Director in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Team One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great PTO, Nice office, Dog friendly, good benefits, In the heart of Silicon Beach. Close to the beach, beer and cake on Fridays. Departmental free lunches from time to time and agency lunches as well. Good work life balance. Nice 401K and medical package.

Cons

This place is an absolute mess! Management is psychotic and backstabbing. You have to do things their way even if it is WRONG and BEYOND stupid. You'll probably only work with Lexus, who absolutely hates Team One and often says it. The biggest Anti Team One -ism from the Lexus client is "Team One always over promises and under delivers." True statement. The work is absolutely terrible and they can't even win any new business. Team One couldn't sell cleaning supplies to a maid. It's a very controlled environment. You are not allowed to be creative or float any creative ideas. The atmosphere at Team One reminds me of the Metallica Song "Eye of the Beholder". here are the lyrics to said song:

Do you see what I see?
    Truth is an offence
    Your silence for your confidence

Do you hear what I hear?
    Doors are slamming shut
    Limit your imagination, keep you where they must

Do you feel what I feel?
    Bittering distress
    Who decides what you express?

Do you take what I take?
    Endurance is the word
    Moving back instead of forward seems to me absurd

Freedom with their exception

Do you fear what I fear?
    Living properly
    Truths to you are lies to me

Do you choose what I choose?
    More alternatives
    Energy derives from both the plus and negative

Do you need what I need?
    Boundaries overthrown
    Look inside, to each his own

Do you trust what I trust?
    Me, myself and I
    Penetrate the smoke screen, I see through the selfish lie

Freedom with their exception

Do you know what I know?
    Your money and your wealth
    Your silence just to hear yourself

Do you want what I want?
    Desire not a thing
    I hunger after independence, lengthen freedom’s ring

Speech is words that they will bend
    Freedom no longer frees you
    If it’s done just how I say

Advice to Management

None. You guys will eventually implode under the weight of your own stupidity. Lexus deserves better than the clown car style agency you all are running.

"Lack of Leadership"

Pros

Fairly relaxed environment/hours. Nice office. Plenty of freedom to do your job, not too much micro-management going on.

Cons

There does not seem to be much engagement or involvement from upper management, which leads to lack of team building and comradery across departments. It's like Lord of the Flies in some of these meetings. Also, you've got some departments now which are comprised of mostly freelance employees who are making major decisions and changes without any involvement from their managers.

Communication is weak and infrequent from upper management which leads to a lot of confusion/speculation etc. Raises/promotions are few and far between. In my almost 2 years at Team One I think I can count on one hand how many people were promoted. It's run like a Socialist society where everyone gets the same, no matter how good or bad your performance is, you get what you get. This leads to mediocrity & apathy which pretty much sums up the agency in a nutshell.

Advice to Management

Bring in some actual Leaders. People who lead by example, can mentor/coach, and help support their teams.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Media Planner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Media Planner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Team One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, great benefits, GREAT culture. They want you to succeed. Many opportunities to learn about the industry and grow.

Cons

Promotions and raises are very standardized- can be hard to come by. Pay is average in my opinion. Politics definitely plays a factor.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about the culture -it's very motivating to employees.