Texas Workforce Commission Reviews | Glassdoor

Texas Workforce Commission Reviews

Updated Sep 3, 2019

Found 149 reviews

Texas Workforce Commission CEO Thomas W. Pauken (no image)
Thomas W. Pauken
Pros
  • "Stability, Great Benefits, Helps Customers who want to help themselves(in 12 reviews)

• "they do have good benefits plans(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, no upward mobility, inflexible schedule(in 11 reviews)

• "pay sucks, traffic sucks, no room for advancement or pay raises(in 5 reviews)

"Best Co-Workers-Supervisors I've had in a long time!"

Former Employee - CSR2 in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly and helpful culture including Supervisors. Awesome Trainers that do their best to teach you the antiquated system; Kudos to them! Awesome help desk people for they really try to help and, I only complained about one that was not in that building. Very, Awesome and, Fantastic people whom I would have loved to continue to call my coworkers if circumstances were different. Love and miss you all! ... Management at that office is the best I've encounter. I gave this place a five only because of the wonderful people that work there because it is they that make the place great.

Cons

Biggest Con will have to be the Parking issues; That's because there is no parking available. You have to park 5 1/2 blocks away at the parking lot of a church that the state pays for. Try doing that morning and afternoon and it gets old especially, in very hot weather or very cold weather. You have to call every morning to see if there is parking available at the actual site were the building is at and most of... the time there isn't. You only get parking at the site if someone is out for the day and, there is Zero chance of ever getting a permanent parking space because honestly someone has to leave the company in order for one to become available and when that happens there is a waiting list. Also their, systems is outdated and, not user friendly. Honestly what they need is to be moved to a better sight were they can offer parking for all of their employees but, since its a State office I doubt that will ever happen. I would like to add that having to call for parking on a daily basis does take its toll. Career Opportunities are not that good though.

Advice to Management

My advice is not really to management at the Dwyer building but, to the State of Texas-Governor Abbot; Move this people to a better sight were all can have a parking space for it is the number one reason why the place is a revolving door and while you are at it please bring the system up to the 21st century. I say this with the upmost respect because I actually like the Governor. As a matter of a fact the... antiquated system makes the work more difficult than it ought to be and, may be contributing to delays in peoples claim/payments.

Texas Workforce Commission2019-02-07
  2. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Risk Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people, good leadership atmosphere, good work life balance, meaningful work.

Cons

They pay in the lower range of the salary band for most jobs.

Advice to Management

You'll get a better selection of people if you offer salaries that can compete with those offered by Health and Human SErvices

Texas Workforce Commission2019-09-04
  3. "Good job security, bad pay."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst IV

I have been working at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance. Work from home days. Job security.

Cons

Low pay compared to private sector.

Texas Workforce Commission2019-07-17
  4. "Good place to work if you want work/life balance and retirement benefits."

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to choose projects based on your interests; plenty of creative freedom. Flexible work schedules and ability to telework once a week.

Cons

They are behind on technology. Facilities are old, outdated. Hard to get promoted.

Texas Workforce Commission2019-06-06
  5. "Great Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Heath insurance, PTO and schedule

Cons

Pay is really low for the amount of work required

Texas Workforce Commission2019-06-04
  6. "Behind the scenes politicking effects everyone"

Current Employee - Clerk IV in Austin, TX

I have been working at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free health insurance Paid Holidays Sick & Vacation leave

Cons

Management plays favorites and those select few can have far too much influence

Texas Workforce Commission2019-05-24
  7. "run, dont walk"

Former Employee - Transition Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Temple, TX

I worked at Texas Workforce Commission full-time for less than a year

Pros

the position has a great benefit for the community

Cons

The office in Temple has terrible leadership and it also goes up the chain for region 7

Texas Workforce Commission2019-05-28
  8. "Nice Place to work"

Current Employee - Account Examiner in Tyler, TX

Pros

*Lots of days off *not micro managed *doing audits at different companies

Cons

*Pay is not great. *paid once a month

Advice to Management

none

Texas Workforce Commission2019-04-25
  9. "twc"

I have been working at Texas Workforce Commission full-time

Pros

they do have good benefits plans

Cons

management on some department not the greatest and there is a lot of favoritism. the pay is low for all the challenges you encounter and growth is slow.

Texas Workforce Commission2019-04-17
  10. "Good if you don't mind bad pay"

Current Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Austin, TX

Pros

Great counselors, great work culture and support, flexible and lots of paid time off, decent health insurance and free for employed person

Cons

lazy/incompetent support staff, no pay raises, constantly covering caseloads because counselors leave for higher paying jobs, management does not advocate for staff pay, work culture varies wildly by each office, even in the same city. Poor retirement benefits for new workers.

Advice to Management

getting higher pay for staff needs to be the number one priority

Texas Workforce Commission2019-04-11