The Local Pages Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Kelly Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can make as much money as you want if you are willing to work for it (in 3 reviews)

• As an outside sales rep, my pay is based on my ability to sell (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't think there are any cons but I do feel this job requires you to be away from home a lot (in 6 reviews)

• Often the outside sales reps have to handle difficult situations that many times they are not trained to handle when they first start (in 4 reviews)

1. "Its not everyone cup of tea, but for some its one of the best cup of tea!"

Current Employee - Advertising Consultant
    Current Employee - Advertising Consultant

I have been working at The Local Pages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an Outside Sales or "Advertising Consultant" as the company calls us, you work with amazing people your co-workers in time will become more like family. The pay is what you make of it, you have the ability to make, as much or as little as you want, depending on your motivation. This company will give you flexibility and freedom that few company offer. Travel is expected, but if can handle life on the road this company offers opportunity to become immersed in the small towns of the west. My medical benefits are great and at reasonable cost. I can say I do love my job and the people I interact with everyday working here.

Cons

There are cons, the being on the road is the largest of them. In this job you are often on the road for 8 to 9 months of the year. If you don't like to travel or you expect the company to book you in Ritz Carlton every time you go away from home for a week, you will be upset and start writing bad review on websites.

You are selling advertising for a living, you are selling print ads. That is easier in some markets then it is in others (tougher markets away from home will always burn out even the greatest sales people in the world). But those that say that selling phone books is the problem, they should try selling newspaper ads, radio spots, or even websites, they all have the same problem they are advertising, so you have to have thick skin because you are going to hear "No" more often then "Yes."

Sometimes the instructions from the Corporate office make no sense to the people in the field. Some sales teams will get negative because it makes them feel like they are not listening too the realities that they are facing. It takes time to make changes and no management team will ever be nimble enough to solve the problems the next day. Many times the Corporate instructions, you need to follow up with clarifying questions. The Corporate office doesn't spoon feed their outside sales team, but they also don't micromanage them either.

There are angry customers, when a company handles thousands of contracts a week sometimes there are mistakes. Often the outside sales reps have to handle difficult situations that many times they are not trained to handle when they first start. These one in a thousand customers makes the job more challenging and frustrating, but you are selling adverting and so it should go with your job expectations.

Like any Commission based sales job, pay can be a challenge to earn. Not every sales rep is as honest and upstanding as you are, so the company will often hold out payment to clarify that the contract is legitimate. While sometimes it makes it hard when you are expecting a commission, and there is a delay in receiving it but you will get paid for it eventually, but not always at the time you want it.

Advice to Management

Make realistic expectations in projections. Ask more input from the rank and file outside sales people, not just from the high performers.

2. "Salesman/Opener"

Former Employee - Salesman in Stanton, CA
    Former Employee - Salesman in Stanton, CA

I worked at The Local Pages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission based pay with opportunities to make pretty good money. It was easy to jump right in on my first day. Friendly staff. They give you the tools and strategies to be successful. The managers didn't usually micromanage everyone unless they felt that it would be helpful and productive.

Cons

Slow days for sales. It felt as if it was the luck of the draw certain times. Every now and then I would get cursed at by very rude people on the phone. Extremely repetitive and tedious. Minimum wage pay if commission goal wasn't reached for the week.

Advice to Management

I thought that the management was good overall. They were friendly and helpful. The only thing that I would say hurt sales a couple times were the dated phones , system, and headsets. In April most of the employees were sent home 6 hours early because of technical issues on two separate occasions. Management was done well and they maintained a professional, yet casual image. I really enjoyed the bonuses (we would spin a wheel with various prizes once we met certain sales goals), the raffles, and other fun incentives that management would give the salespeople in order to keep the job more interesting and lucrative.

3. "Who uses a phone book anymore?"

I worked at The Local Pages full-time

Pros

Travel. You get to travel. And if you can actually still convince people in the value of putting ink into stacks of dead trees hoping for when someone might not have internet access and have to resort to guessing what kind of service you have you can make decent commission.

Cons

Seriously, no one uses the phone book anymore. And people know it. So sales were really difficult. And customers are convinced they are entitled to free listing. And the company has been giving it to them for years and then and you to go pitch it to them or you'll "pull their listing".

Advice to Management

What efforts are you making to move into the twenty first century?

4. "Started out great but went downhill"

I worked at The Local Pages full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours. You work mostly independently. You can listen to music or audiobooks while you work.

Cons

The upper management is a mess. They only care about the bottom line. No raises. Some pretty shady business practices.

Advice to Management

Stop tricking people into doing business with you. Just be nicer and earn their business. Show more respect and appreciation for your employees.

5. "Lies, Lies and More Lies"

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant in Vancouver, WA

I worked at The Local Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working at the beach.

Cons

The lies and very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp.

6. "Manager"

I have been working at The Local Pages full-time

Pros

Great hours (no weekends), great employees, you mean something to the company (you aren't just a number).

Cons

The commute can be long.

7. "Book Manager"

Current Employee - Book Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Book Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Well you can stay in Hotels for 5 days a week at a time & eat free at Restaurants on Hotel & Lodging & Food Trade.

Cons

The downside is a lot of favoritism at The Local Pages & a lot of Racism as well on the down low

Advice to Management

My advice would be on Management the micro-management needs to stop & favortism & racism as well.

"Graphic designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Local Pages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the people there and enjoyed the system of producing ads. My boss was wonderful.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I couldn't pay my bills. There is no review process or potential for growth.

Advice to Management

Increase what you pay your designers. They are talented, hard working people and deserve to be compensated as such. Provide them with an opportunity for pay raises and growth within the company.

"Out side sales"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Sierra Vista, AZ

Pros

Travel....Love to travel, customers are great, commission is getting better

Cons

If management doesn't like you, you don't make money. Most can't pay the bills with what they offer

Advice to Management

Customer is number 1 and your policies dont include them.

10. "Corporate Recruiter"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Local Pages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay structure, wonderful people to work with, B2B sales (my fave), intelligent management decisions, fun to travel, structured training.

Cons

I can't think of any. I have been here for 2 1/2 years and I love everything about the company and my job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work