Toronto Public Library Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Toronto Public Library Chairman of the Board Ron Carinci
Ron Carinci
1 Rating

1. "You're better off working at McDonald's"

Former Employee - Page/PSA in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Page/PSA in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Toronto Public Library (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Great social place to work with your peers.
    - Not all are bad apples, learned a lot about life and be a better person from here.
    - Help paid for part of my tuition and books while in university.

Cons

- Soul sucking place that gives you promises of promotion but in the end gives it to a senior staff member.
    - Promotions are based on number of years of service, nothing close to performance based.

Advice to Management

- Always tight on budget but management always seemed to get promotion after promotion each year.

2. "E-services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Management takes great care to be open in its approach to making everyone feel included and heard. I’ve always felt my ideas and input are thoughtfully considered.

Cons

Haven't found any while working at TPL

Advice to Management

New Management is on-board

3. "Secure job"

Current Employee - Page in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Page in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toronto Public Library part-time

Pros

Security , flexibility for students, vacation time

Cons

Not enough hours, not enough variety

5. "TPL Review"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toronto Public Library (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, TPL is a very good place to work at, with great people, and multiple branches in the system provide many different work locations.

Cons

Often there is a lack of communication and collaboration among internal departments. With a heavy focus on public service, back office management and support staff tend to be less appreciated.

Advice to Management

City Librarian and Directors need to be more involved and connected with the day-to-day business operations of TPL.

6. "Page"

I worked at Toronto Public Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

casual dress code, mandatory breaks

Cons

Not a lot of variety in your duties as a page.
    Not enough hours - shifts at various times throughout the day & on different days, makes it difficult to find another job.
    Everything is seniority based, which often leads to people being awarded positions that they are ill-suited for.
    Physically hard work and extremely repetitive

7. "Great place to work - stress-free and relaxing environment"

Current Employee - Page- Toronto Public Library in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Page- Toronto Public Library in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Toronto Public Library part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Comfortable work environment - little noise, slow-paced
    Easy work
    Great benefits
    Terrific job security
    Very flexible with days off/sick days
    Consistent schedule
    Treated very well

Cons

Bureaucratic
    Promotions based on seniority (not performance based)
    Meticulous, tedious work at times
    Not a lot of hours per week

"Not just about books"

Former Employee - Page in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Page in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Toronto Public Library part-time

Pros

One of the good things I would say is that working at the TPL is good for students who are looking for an entry level job (although I would say it's not completely entry level work) and who only want to work part-time. There are no full-time page positions offered. It is a good place to work for a young person to save up money, pay for stuff and what not. What I appreciated about working here was the opportunities to get to work in quite a few branches across the city and meet different people and experience the vast differences in each branch. No two branches are the same, even as I started in a moderately small branch with a smaller collection there was a lot of ancillary clerical work (and front desk work) to assist with which I enjoyed. It wasn't always about shelving books and materials although they wanted us to do that first and foremost. I liked working with other staff and getting to know regular patrons. I also had the chance to assist with programs and contribute to helping young children with literacy and reading through the TD summer club for reading.

Cons

If anyone reading this is actually looking for a long term career in the library system, I would say that it is not worth the time unless you actually have the credentials for a position that has less competition. In my 5 years of working in the system, I noticed that it was very difficult to build up seniority and most cases getting extra hours was all about being in the right place and at the right time. They do not give you opportunities for advancement based on your merit and job performance (as someone else also mentioned) but rather most, but not all positions are based on your seniority. It can take up to and beyond 10 years to become permanent full-time and most current FT employees are senior employees who started in full-time clerical positions that were hired for in the 1970s/80s, which is something they don't do anymore. Additionally, the supervisor you have is highly different depending on the branch, some of mine have been terribly unreasonable, muddled and some were the opposite. There is a bit of favoritism that goes on with the unionized workers and also with management. Job precarity is also a problem. The reality of the system is that it is changing and there are less less secure job positions because the budget just simply doesn't allow for it financially. In the end, the wrong employees get the wrong jobs and those employees who actually are actually fit for the position and who enjoy the work end up losing out.

Advice to Management

Give opportunities to improve and look more at real, credible skills rather than seniority

9. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Page
    Former Employee - Page

I worked at Toronto Public Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice after school job for high school or university students. Simple duties, pleasant environment. Just shelving books and helping customers occasionally.

Cons

Pay is minimum wage, but that's to be expected.

10. "Page"

I worked at Toronto Public Library part-time

Pros

I had this job during high school and recently quit to pursue my field of study more closely. If I didn't have to leave I wouldn't of. The pay was great and the potential to learn was amazing. Depending on your branch, you could have understanding, cheerful co workers.

Cons

Everything was seniority base, not by when you started but by how many hours you've worked. I was there for over 4 years and because I was balancing a school schedule, another employee that wasn't in school passed my logged hours after 1.5 years of working full time in the same position.

Advice to Management

Be aware of your employees' efforts. Don't scold them for going above and beyond.

11. "Clerk"

I have been working at Toronto Public Library part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The community based work is rewarding and you can see the public appreciates the services.

Cons

Takes 12-15 years to get a permanent full time job for an average clerical employee. Awful shifts and extra shifts worsen your schedule even further but you end up taking them to make money.

Advice to Management

Create more stable schedules. Value your employees more by giving them decent jobs. Maybe do something about low staff morale.