True Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Trulaske

Pros
  • Great people and opportunities abound at True (in 6 reviews)

• It's a steady job with decent benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They do not care about the people that work for the company at all (in 4 reviews)

• it is hard work in a non air conditioned environment (in 2 reviews)

1. "Schlatter operator"

Current Employee - Schlatter Operator in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Schlatter Operator in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at True Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company that does a lot for its employees

Cons

Not a whole lot of wiggle room on attendance

Advice to Management

None

Apr 17, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your positive review.

2. "The Honda Civic of jobs"

Former Employee - Sheet Metal, Office Administrative, Wire Shelves, Schlatter Operator in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aside from the recent "restructuring", good job security and steady hours. Decent benefits too. Good people in HR who try to take care of employees. Mostly a decent place to work. I miss some of my coworkers!

Thanks to training sessions at True, I was exposed to refrigeration and ultimately decided to attend night classes for HVAC. A very important stepping stone where I decided that I wanted more for myself - not just a job but a promising career.

Cons

Not much upside for many of the people working there. Hard work is often rewarded with more responsibility for the same pay. People who don't pull their weight get paid the same as the ones who get stuff done. They're still behind the times despite recent changes. It seems like everybody knows somebody who works/ worked at True and most of them don't have positive things to say.

I worked in both the factory and office and was not able to move up despite going to school for HVAC and becoming a certified technician.

I transferred back to the factory so I could go to night school for HVAC. I waited 3 months for my boss in the office to say yes or no to a schedule change, then ultimately asked to be transferred back to the factory. He tried to keep me under his thumb in a factory position closely related to my office job, but I did not want to work for him anymore after the schedule change shenanigans. Thankfully HR listened to my concerns and allowed me to transfer to a different factory job. My boss wouldn't even look at me after that, it was very awkward for those last two weeks in the office. He never shook my hand or said goodbye, simply sent out an email to the whole department telling me "best of luck in your future endeavors".

I applied for a service technician apprenticeship three times, finally got an interview, and they did not offer me the position. Within 3 months I had done several interviews elsewhere and accepted a position with another company. I have True to thank for lighting a fire inside me to want more for myself. I'm now an HVAC installer making a comfortable living and learning new things every day.

Advice to Management

Don't pay your workers just enough to keep some of them around. The recent pay increases have helped, but you're nowhere near the likes of Boeing or GM or the leading manufacturers in the area. Those are the jobs people want, True is the job you have to settle for until something better comes along.

3. "Reconstruction Layoffs"

Former Employee - Sheet Metal Worker in Bowling Green, MO
    Former Employee - Sheet Metal Worker in Bowling Green, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time

Pros

Great pay, terrible benefits, but they have a nice 401K with contributions. Working there it is all about who you know that determines how far you go. It is a good place to be if you like to work. I enjoyed my job very much and the paycheck makes up for alot. In addition with the contributions from the company if you take 11% out of your check and put it to your 401k or windup with $1000000 or more depending on how old you are when you retire which is always nice. I personally love to work and very much enjoyed what I was doing even if I had to do more than I should have sometimes. Most of the people that work there are friendly and good willed. I will miss the nice pay and some of my coworkers. That's all the nice remotely positive thoughts about that place.

Cons

They say that they care about their employees which is partially true to an extent. Essentially you are just an number as long as you prove yourself worthy. If you don't have any problems with the attendance or behavior anything like that you should be fine. However recently they've invested millions of dollars into hydrocarbon refrigeration to Elizabeth the competition. Which essentially means they made this big fancy fridge that's economically friendly for no reason. They have just laid off a lot of workers in all their facilities but they call it reconstruction not layoffs. They are currently starting to invest in million-dollar robotics that will eventually lead to the layoff of most the people that work there with no prior notice. They will need people to oversee the robotics but other than that you won't be much more than a number which can and will be expelled when they don't need you anymore. Some of the supervisors that work there and especially assistant supervisors are walking lawsuits being overly flirtatious with the help and become irritated when you ask questions or even need help. So in a way it's kind of figure it out and do it yourself and try not to ''bother'' anyone important. Many of the people that are still there are spoiled and hate their jobs thinking they have it bad and that their worked too hard and this is not the case they get paid exceptionally well for thier work performed. If you apply there or if you work there I say good luck because there will be a day sooner versus later we're going to get a letter for whatever reason saying that they don't need you anymore. All and all I would have to say True Manufacturing is by far the worst company I have ever worked 4. They look fancy and they talked fancy but the reality when you get into the warehouses is anything but what you might be led to believe after your training. Beware of the truth and don't let this review discourage you from applying and attempting to be better than you were yesterday. Simply proceed with caution. Don't get comfortable. The direction that place is going is either bankruptcy or robotics. You won't be anything more than a number. Most importantly tell your coworkers how good of a job they do because management does not. It's scientificly proven that people work better when they are led to believe they are doing well. Even of it is not true.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management there is that you are supposed to lead by example. Not be on your phones, not be a flirtatious walking lawsuit thinking that your position is going to get you laid because to most others it looks pathetic, and most importantly you should be leading by example and not getting mad at people for asking questions and are needing help from time to time. I was there for a while and I was actually pretty glad to be let go as part of their so-called reconstruction to an extent. Most of the people there are so irritated with their jobs and they can't be bothered to help you. When you are clearly always mad and literally yelling at people at work it is time to rethink what you're doing and how your place of business is ran. I will say that in the Bowling Green Missouri location the main supervisor for the second shift did a great job. I have been all around the U.S. and have met and worked with many. I can say he does exceptionally well. Most there should be taking lessons from him. That's all I will say. I'm not into bashing or anything like that I just thought I would get on here and leave review for anyone that might be looking at working there. My only advice is beware and don't get too comfortable there. I was there for about a month or so before I was setting up my own machine. That doesn't really happen there that much at all. There were some that didn't agree with it but my main supervisor had faith in me and let me do it. I did a good job. I would hope that somewhere somehow I made him slightly proud on at least taking a chance on me in that aspect. It brightened up my work attitude and my work day all around. I did exceptionally well at what I did and was very proud of it but not cocky. Hats off to my supervisor on 2nd shift. Subtle and quiet yet effective and friendly. On a side note invest in leadership classes for management. Strongly recommended.

4. "Decent"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Pacific, MO
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Pacific, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady pay, hours, insurance,benefits. Good people, somewhat laid back, just willing to work. Good experience, no major issues with the place

Cons

Need to pay your line grunts more, insurance keep going up, yet coverage goes down. Hard work short breaks. Have to be one of the "cool kids" to get anywhere, willing to throw someone under the bus if need be.

Advice to Management

As stated above

Dec 5, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to recognize the positives of working at True as well as feedback on things that you feel need improvement. True is proud of our rich ... More

5. "Floater"

Former Employee - Floater in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Floater in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job is stable. The benefits are really great. There are many many perks the longer you are employed there. I highly recommend this company.

Cons

There is a very high volume of work. If you can't meet the expectations of the work after 2-3 weeks they will terminate your employment

Oct 2, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the positive review. We value all of our employees and are proud to provide a steady and stable career for our team members. We value our motto of "Safety first, quality second and ... More

6. "Intern"

Current Employee - Co-Op in O Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Co-Op in O Fallon, MO

I have been working at True Manufacturing (Less than a year)

Pros

-Best place to work.
    -Great learning experience
    -enabled me to make real-time decisions

Cons

Less full time opportunities, nothing apart

Advice to Management

I have none

Aug 22, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the wonderful review. Our Intern and Co-op program is a very important part of our company and we are glad you have had a positive experience. We pride ourselves on giving our students ... More

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at True Manufacturing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very strict which I love. Great boss. Love that I get to deal with everyone from Upper management all the way to the shop floor. Steve Trulaske is one of us, he is down to earth and will stop and talk to anyone. Great to see a man of that statue still get down and dirty with his employees.

Cons

Negative nanny people dragging the place down (very bad), I would say only about 5 percent but these people are knowingly doing things they should be fired for. Get these people out of here so we can CONTINUE to make true a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, I plan on spending the rest of my career here.

Jun 16, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the wonderful review. Your description reflects the core principles that our company was founded on which include for all to be accountable to a high work standard, maintain the ... More

8. "Material Handler"

Former Employee - Forklift Driver/Material Handler in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Forklift Driver/Material Handler in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at True Manufacturing (More than 5 years)

Pros

People in general were great to work with. Benefits used to be fantastic but not anymore. Health insurance costs are high with a high deductible.

Cons

Unless you are buddies with the supervisor or manager you will get no merit raises. Only place I have worked at where your work ethic and attendance counted for nothing toward me getting a raise.

Advice to Management

Have the line supervisor that the material Handler drives for give more input on the forklift drivers performance.

Jul 1, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. True appreciates hard work ethic and dedication. In efforts to reward this, merit raises are given to the team members who go above and beyond. In addition, True offers ... More

9. "Solid company; good benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very structured environment and committed to employee work / life balance so expectation is to work 40 hrs a week, no more or no less.

Cons

The culture is changing, but slowly. Strict environment, especially salaried employees. The flex time is not as flexible as other organizations but it is getting better. To much focus on time and attendance versus actual performance by an employee.

Mar 29, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate you taking time to write a review. You are correct that True is committed to giving our team members a work life balance. True is constantly reviewing polices and procedures and ... More

"Industrial Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at True Manufacturing (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot, quickly. It is a fairly fast paced environment with several projects going on at the same time. You also interact with just about every level of the company.

Cons

The company has a very strict attendance policy for all workers. Even if you are on salary, you can't sign in to work any earlier than 10 minutes before and you can't clock out any later than 10 minutes after your shift. If you are a minute late, you stay a minute late. But, if you don't have an attendance problem, it's really not a big deal.

Oct 28, 2015 – True Manufacturing

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you learned a lot while working at True. We pride ourselves on how well our employers are able to interact and collaborate with all levels ... More