Turo Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Turo CEO Andre Haddad
Andre Haddad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone works very hard all the time, but there is a recognition that work-life balance is important and our executives model that behavior" (in 8 reviews)

• "Great culture, incredibly congenial" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Compensation is way below market, and worsening after our most recent performance review raises" (in 3 reviews)

• "Benefits are severely lacking: no 401(k) match, yearly bonus, gym membership and strict PTO" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing people, rapidly growing company"

I have been working at Turo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thoughtful and dedicated leadership from the top, and kind, generous and caring staff throughout. Transparency with all regarding business and plans. Significant effort to engage employees and recognize the hard work and diligence the start up demands. Great perks including $100/month travel credit on Turo, catered lunches, and fun monthly events/happy hours, get togethers. Opportunities to grow career and tackle new challenges.

Everyone works very hard all the time, but there is a recognition that work-life balance is important and our executives model that behavior.

Cons

Many employees in first or second jobs at Turo - I'm not sure they fully appreciate how great of a workplace this is. Turo still maintains many startup qualities, with no real administrative support and some quirky elements to the daily work. But these are minor and add to the character and flavor of the office. The workspace in SF tends to be very quiet, yet every person is friendly, easy to talk to, accessible.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and great intentions as you scale the business, though you will need to be flexible about how Turo "does things" as more employees, projects, lines of business join the company.

2. "Delighted to be with this amazing company and team"

I have been working at Turo full-time

Pros

Interesting, challenging work. Amazing leadership.

Cons

Small company with big goals

"Programmer"

I worked at Turo full-time

Pros

Nothing was good about the company

Cons

Everything was wrong with the company

"Great Company"

I have been working at Turo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard work is very clearly recognized. There is a lot of work and hard work but I knew this coming in. Management is very transparent and wants to make sure you succeed. I love coming to work every day and I love the culture. The benefits are awesome along with the snacks, lunches and the friends I have made here. Wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Compensation could be a bit more competitive but the career growth out-weighs that in my opinion.

"An outstanding place to work!"

I have been working at Turo full-time

Pros

It is a rapidly growing company that offers great opportunities. The work culture is refreshing in that you have so many people who are not fighting one another but rather are consistently helping helping one another be successful on a daily basis. I cannot say enough about the CEO who is one of the sharpest minds in Tech, not only is he brilliant but he is a phenomenal and caring person. The snacks and Thursday catered meal are a great plus!

Cons

Not a con but just a reality for a rapid organization is the onboarding process. It will get smoother as the company staffs up in HR but the HR is staff is really wonderful but they are handling a great load.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to keep this great culture as the company grows.

"Claims Associate"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Turo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch once a week, ergonomically friendly, decent benefits

Cons

LOTS OF WORK, everyone is behind their work, poor management, lack of training, lack of empathy for their employees, the idea of push things through, very casual work environment-people wear yoga pants and tank tops.

LOWEST offered salary for the work
    They hired me Mon-Fri and stated that WFH is aval if you don't have PTO, stated that the biggest thing is to get things done and not how much time we spend. But quickly in 2 weeks after I started, the company started Saturday coverage making mandatory for people to work Saturdays/.

People are constantly working absolutely no time to breathe.

Advice to Management

clear about your employees, and please talk to each other (within the management)

"Decent"

Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Turo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great location (off mission in soma)
    - 1 free catered lunch a week
    - standing desks
    - the company as a whole really cares about Turo's mission, their users, and improving.
    - You will see your work have a direct impact on the business.
    - Successes are highly applauded
    - A very transparent executive leadership style. CEO shares a lot with the company.
    - working remotely for some teams is fine

Cons

- The compensation isn't competitive.
    - The benefits aren't great: No matching 401K, The parental leave, while better than the minimum amount, is still abysmal compared to other tech companies in the area.
    - The raises are barely anything at all.
    - It's hard to hire good talent in certain industries like design and engineering because the salaries are not competitive enough.
    - Engineering is consistently understaffed, slowing progress

Advice to Management

- Improve the benefits package and salaries so that we can hire better candidates

"Customer Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Turo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT CULTURE. Everyone, for the most part, is pretty low-ego and genuinely enjoyable to be around. Happy hours are well - attended.

GREAT Diversity and inclusion. LGBT community, Women's lunches, etc.

AMAZING EXEC team. Approachable, intelligent, genuine human beings.

Cons

No clear growth paths.

Salary is WAY below market.

They don't bring a lot to the table in terms of learning and advancing your career. Nothing in structure and varies from team to team.

Gives off the impression that middle management doesn't care about advancing employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. If there are multiple people complaining/leaving because of one issue - focus on that issue.

Create growth paths and turnaround plans, so that you are prepared and can encourage the growth of your employees and not overwork and drain them.

If you can't make up for downfalls in compensation - make Turo a learning-adjacent company.

You have to bring more to the table to stay competitive.

"Classless and Under managed"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Turo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We spend more money on food then the employees salaries .

Cons

To many egos , poor management and wanna be cool kids . Female claims managers are control freaks and treat everyone like they own the place . There is also alot of in office sexual relationships I hear alot about and see. Adderol is a hug office issue here as well and drug use outside of the office. I will not be working here much longer . This is not what I signed up for. Leadership is horrible . Great company in the SF office but they should open a office with more real people not wanna be Scottsdale socialites.

Advice to Management

Take classes on management

"SF office"

I have been working at Turo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are very friendly and supportive, you can always count on getting advice from others. Management is friendly and somewhat approachable.

Great work/life balance.

Depending on the team, WFH can be flexible, PTO is strictly tracked tho. Depending on the team, it is encouraged to take ownership of your project/work/ideas.

Cons

The compensation package is WAY below market rate. No clear career promotion path, management very obviously has their "favorite".

No year-end bonus structure (which means your % raise really depends on how much your manager wants to fight for you, and how much management likes you - no leveled playground)

Lack of career development training and very few good mid-level managers, sometimes it feels like teenagers lead teenagers in a team.

Agree with other comments that benefits are severely lacking and option package (at least for normal hires) is kinda a joke.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees what we really think about the company before rushing people to participate in numerous employment surveys and then call it a day.

Invest in training employees and provide career development opportunities, if you can't match market rate. People come here to learn and grow, and be part of the mission.