UDig Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
UDig CEO & Founder Andy Frank
Andy Frank

Pros
  • Great company, excellent compensation and benefits (in 6 reviews)

• My recruiter Jeff Bonniwell worked with the account managers there at UDig and setup a conference call with my wife and I to discuss our concerns (in 3 reviews)

Cons

1. "One of the few I recommend"

Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UDig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked and interviewed at all kinds of places in RVA. UDig is one of the few places that combines the small team culture while working on big time projects effectively. The Studio is an awesome place to come to every day. Everyone is pretty open and honest, there's always exciting work, and if you ever need help with something you can tap on a shoulder and get an answer. We all have standing desks, given the freedom to work with no micromanagement, and the projects are organized brought together with an enterprise mentality - meaning you are always on a team and never on an island.

Cons

A lot of the bugs got worked out in the past couple years from transitioning to a consulting agency. The only con right now is that there's no more room in our Studio, but that's being solved with the CEO buying a building, gutting it, and renovating it.

Advice to Management

Make that new office building awesome, with some phone booth and smaller offices.

2. "Great culture, exciting industry"

Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UDig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big focus on delivering results for the clients
    Exciting projects in varied industries
    Fun, casual culture
    Collaborative environment
    Great work/life balance

Cons

Can't participate in 401k plan for 12 months

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep investing in your people and staying true to the brand strategy.

"Positive outlook - lots of growth"

Current Employee - Business Development in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UDig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Leadership is open and receptive to new ideas and getting them implemented
    - You have a lot of autonomy in your job and how you reach your goals (in the end, the numbers do the talking!)
    - Fun team and work environment with ample collaboration

Cons

- With autonomy comes a lot of self discipline and time management - every day is different and can present unique challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep staying open to feedback and willingness to tweak the process as needed.

5. "Work hard, play hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

UDig pushes each and every person to be the best they can be. You are highly compensated and rewarded for the work that you do. It's a performance based environment, as sales organizations are, but UDig provides you with all the tools and support to be successful. Turnover is inevitable in a sales organization, however, UDig focuses on working as a team. We problem solved together. Leadership invests their time and energy into making UDig not only a great place to work, but also a leader in the industry. It's a reputable company that is respected in the consulting industry. At the end of the day, UDig ALWAYS does what's best for the customer. Integrity at it's finest. If you give 100% to the company, they will give 110% in return.

Cons

As in most business, large or small, change is a constant. UDig is ever evolving so if you like structure and process, it is not the environment for you.
    Lack of growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Rely on those who are in the weeds, grinding day after day, for advice on how to keep moral high, process improvements, and ideas in general on always making UDig a great place to work! If ideas are given, make sure they are followed through with. Hold each other accountable.

6. "Application Developer"

Former Employee - ETL Analyst/Developer in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - ETL Analyst/Developer in Frederick, MD

I worked at UDig (More than a year)

Pros

UDIG management and staff were exceptionally helpful, friendly, and easy-going in my dealings with them as a contract employee. I quickly came to regard them as not just co-workers, but colleagues.

Cons

Timekeeping can be funky, but their coordinator is very approachable and helpful. Fringe benefits are only so-so, but many other contracting companies have 0 benefits, so anything is better than nothing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Great place to build a long term career"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Richmond, VA

I worked at UDig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Potential to make A LOT of money, and it grows continuously over time
    -Great incentives and bonus structure, seems stronger than the competition. Incentive trips to Vegas and tropical locations that are actually attainable by the average employee.
    -Competitive base salary
    -Local clients and candidates that are easier to work with than what you see at national recruiting companies
    -Promotions from within, they definitely reward their employees
    -Young, fun office culture that works hard and is professional
    -Sr. Management takes an active role in developing and mentoring their employees
    -They want to find where your skills and talents are best applied to improve the company, so you have some freedom to work towards other job responsibilities, including managing new hires, opening new branches or moving into business development.
    -Fun company outings like white water rafting and team building exercises
    -Transparent quarterly business meetings so you always know the state of the company's success and can feel more invested in the future of UDig
    -if you are struggling but you have potential, they will work with you to train you and help you succeed, rather than looking at you as an expendable employee like most sales jobs.
    -Ethical management and culture in an industry that could otherwise condone unethical behavior
    -Excellent internal software programs and a quality candidate database.
    -Open door team relationship between recruiters and account managers/ Business Development

Cons

-Lower management consists of top producers who may not actually have the time or interest in training and assisting their subordinates. They tend to focus on their own production and don't make you feel like you can ask questions.
    -The position itself can be very stressful
    -There is so much to do every day you either have to stay late or take work home with you until you've been there for some time and can master your efficiency.
    -High call volume and daily metrics

Not a con so much- they have designed software to manage your metrics so that they don't have to micromanage you, but you are required to perform at a top level every hour of the day even if your overall production is strong. Every call you make or action you take throughout your day is recorded in the database so everything you do is monitored. But if you are doing your job this is a non-issue.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Good Group"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UDig (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive of Contract personnel - postively

Cons

Didn't have any issues with them

"Just another IT staffing firm"

Former Employee - Entry Level Recruter in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Entry Level Recruter in Richmond, VA

I worked at UDig full-time

Pros

I worked for UDig for less than a year, and honestly cannot think of a positive about the organization

Cons

Does the same thing, the same way (even though they'll mislead you and say they don't) as TekSystems and Apex. Always low balling their consultants to get there best "spread", no work life balance because they pay for your cell phone and will remind you of that when you take any kind of PTO, extremely high turnover and misled me through the entire interview process about commission and overall compensation.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your potential hires. I know that will drastically decrease the pool of employees out there, but you owe it to everyone to be honest about turnover rate and commissions.

"Don't be fooled. All the 5 star reviews are from consultants, not corporate UDig employees."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at UDig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other recruiters are great.
    If you make the company money, you will be rewarded with dinners and maybe a trip somewhere cool.

Cons

What you make is entirely dependent on what market you're in. For example, a city like DC with ton's of jobs and people will be a breeze compared to any other city.
    At the end of the day all management cares about is the bottom line. Make them money, or adios.
    Work life balance doesn't exist.
    Hands on management- Activity reports, unrealistically high activity expectations.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees cause at the end of the day, as much as you claim to be unlike other staffing agency, you're exactly the same.

11. "Great place to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UDig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management team is available, open and interested in feedback. Great culture with performance based rewards, fun activities and casual environment. Supportive of work/life balance, provides me with the flexibility to manage my life and my responsibilities at work. Feel like I have an opportunity to impact the business and my contribution matters.

Cons

Some growing pains as to be expected with an organization that is making investments in the business. Competing priorities, evolving roles and changing environment makes communication key.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, sharing vision and progress. Ensure employees understand their connection to the company's goals and progress.