UFG Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"One of the Best!"

Current Employee - Senior Commercial Underwriter in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Commercial Underwriter in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

UFG is the only place I have worked that I can truly say has an employee focused culture. Here you have a face & a name, opposed to just an employee number. Since it is a small/mid-size company your voice actually matters, and the ideas you have can actually change how & the way things are done. They provide their employees with opportunities to grow personally & professionally, and are really focused on the work-life balance.

Cons

Systems upgrade that is being worked on will help with efficiencies and to work more productively.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for knowledge transfer with so many upcoming retirements. With that, hire in advance with growth and retirements, while also continuing to hire the best people. Keep the employee focused culture, which makes it easy to do a good job for the company & our insureds.

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Exciting programs
    - Ongoing education opportunities
    - A genuinely caring workplace

UFG is the first job I've had that didn't just 'talk the talk' about caring for its employees and providing them with opportunities and what they need to succeed. UFG genuinely cares about its employees and providing the best benefits, educations, social programs and opportunities for success available. More than that, upper management makes it a point to appreciate and acknowledge even the lowest level of employees which goes a long way to fostering loyalty. This is the first job where I have felt the company is as loyal to me as I am to them.

Cons

Every concern I might have regarding this workplace is already in the process of being addressed by upper management.

Advice to Management

Stay the course! The current goals for improving company culture and values is definitely the right path and if you stay focused on that, people will be happy. Recognition and acknowledgement are two areas in which you excel (at least in my department) - continue your focus on those, it makes a big difference

"Business Analyst position and PMO office at UFG"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunity, great benefits, and the company invests in their employees

Cons

Culture is very established which can make change/adopting new methodologies slow and somewhat rocky.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in great people along with more efficient technology and methodologies.

4. "Join our team!"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UFG has welcomed me with many smiling faces and helping hands. There is always someone there to help and guide me on my career path. UFG has awesome benefits as well as a great work life balance. I am not overloaded or stressed with work due to the fact that training is taken seriously. All together I feel valued and encouraged at UFG.

Cons

Our systems are old but updates are being made and a new system will be rolling out to eliminate that issue.

5. "Pleasantly surprised, the culture fit was perfect."

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a sense of community at UFG. The company promotes work/life balance for employees, volunteerism, and numerous clubs and activities bringing colleagues together. Benefits are competitive with other well known and successful companies.

Cons

Based on my experiences outside of UFG, I do not have any comments to report in this section.

6. "Corporate Wellness"

Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Health and Wellness Director in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming, friendly, employees who truly have passion and respect for what they do! There is so much opportunity for growth here. I love it.

Cons

The parking is definitely difficult at times, since we are located downtown Cedar Rapids.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Internal Audit in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Internal Audit in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and work environment are great. There is an excellent focus on work life balance. Benefits and compensation are comparable to other large area companies. UFG is one of the few companies that still has a pension plan.

Cons

Technology at the company needs to be improved.

8. "Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, good work stations and office space. It feels as though everyone has an opportunity to contribute to the success of the company.

-Onsite company gym
    -Yearly bonuses
    -Great Benefits
    -Pension Plan
    -Flexible Schedules
    -Competitive Pay

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It seems to be working.

9. "Enjoying my time here so far."

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at UFG Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Tons of options for flexible work hours (four 10 hours days, four 9 hour days and a half day, etc.) which allow you to work when you want to. Working remotely is allowed when a family member is sick or you are sick which helps to maintain PTO.

-Very Unique benefits. Corporate office has a free state of the art fitness center. Lots of employees work out over lunch which is cool to see. Company also still has a pension plan as well as parental leave. Cool wellness program which is easy to earn money in. Tuition reimbursement is offered for those wanting to continue education and Management really encourages people to obtain further education. If you get an A in a class tuition is fully covered.

-Excellent work life balance. In my time here I have never felt overloaded or stressed because of my workload.

Cons

-401(k) Employer matching is a little low compared to what I've seen at other companies. This is most likely due to the pension the company offers.

-Company switched to HSA's only this year which is a little rough when you have kids that have to go to the doctor a lot.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your younger employees. The company has done a great job creating a culture that should be able to retain young talent for the foreseeable future. Some recommendations I can make to improve.

-Make a bigger contribution to first year employee's HSA's so that they can get a better safety net starting out.
    -Look into Student Loan assistance for recent grads and young employees.
    -Add textbook and material reimbursement. This could be offset by lowering the reimbursement percentage for B's and C's.

10. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at UFG Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hourly pay, great introduction to commercial insurance, great employees and management

Cons

No cons pertaining to UFG