Upsight Reviews

Updated Oct 2, 2018

3.9
Upsight CEO Andy Yang (no image)
Andy Yang
Pros
  • "Kontagent is building an incredible product in a rapidly growing market(in 13 reviews)

• "The executive thoroughly believe in a solid work-life balance and go the extra mile to provide a superb work environment(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "rather than giving customers what they want, company instead ops for making overcomplicated features that no one needs(in 4 reviews)

• "Kontagent is not in it's own building so you can't bring your dog to work in this building(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Rough Times But Still Potential, Need New Product Leader

Oct 2, 2018 - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture is hands down the best I've ever experienced. Management really tries to find people who are smart, hardworking *and* kind with the highest integrity. No politics there. You become real friends with your coworkers, and maintain relationships with 90% of the people who move on. For all the business issues at Upsight, the executive team has excelled at building an inspirational culture that is hard to find anywhere else. I miss it. - You learn a lot here about very complex tech that can easily be applied to other industries and companies, and will serve you well in your career long term. But it's not for the faint hearted. You have to be willing to learn and dive deep into hard topics, and take initiatives on your own to advance. - No shortage of opportunities to learn and problems to solve. But again, you have to be a self-starter. Upsight moves fast so there is no hand holding. If you don't try to step up, you won't last long there. - Catered meals, transportation stipend, vacation bonus, fitness allowance, and pretty good benefits for a small startup

Cons

- Changing directions. Market moves fast and Upsight adapts quickly but that can be hard to keep up if you're a regular employee. - Product leader is stubborn and arrogant, and doesn't listen to customers or external facing teams. Technology and engineering teams (some of smartest people I've met) are great but the actual product wasn't built to be easy to use or have defined use cases. Product likes to say no to external feedback and then build stuff they think is interesting but no one wants. Makes it hard for others to sell. Probably main reason nontech people leave. - Need to improve communications internally. Can be frustrating to not know what to focus on.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome People, Product, Leadership and Culture

Mar 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in a lot of different companies and I can say without hesitation that Upsight is one of the best. I normally don't write reviews, but Upsight is a company that deserves to have its vision, value and people praised. The leadership team really cares about the well-being of everyone who works there, they make sure everyone feels heard and appreciated. Upsight also has some of the smartest people you'll have the honor to work with. People here are passionate about marketing tech and have an intense understanding of the marketplace and industry needs. They're also some of the nicest, most inclusive people in Silicon Valley that you'll ever meet, I've made life long friends and business partners here. Upsight's platform is also perhaps the most advance in the market today. It's a diverse offering and addresses real pain points, this means adoption will only continue to grow.

Cons

Leadership and people here are very intelligent. To the uninitiated, this can be intimidating. You'll need to take the time to really learn and understand both the product and the broader industry in order to be successful here. They have high expectations, but they'll never expect you to deliver more that what they themselves can deliver.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture but it has serious problems in management

Mar 13, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, really fun people, innovative product. There's a lot of money for fun things and the company is really concerned about making sure that the fun startup culture doesn't go away. The product is interesting and it's an interesting field to be working in. Lots of perks, swag, and casual office environment. Beautiful offices.

Cons

While the company's culture is great, the management style and strategic directions are overwhelmingly set from a "top down" direction. Unfortunately, many of the company's managers and executives who have come from other companies don't seem to understand the challenges and opportunities in the mobile analytics space. Employees have also found that there is no one at Kontagent to whom an employee can go to offer meaningful feedback, because the very upper management doesn't keep feedback confidential and constructive feedback is punished. The effect of top down management and top down strategic decisions and policies without any possibility for constructive feedback has left the company in a very bad position with regard to its product, its sales performance, expectations on employees and employee morale.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work. They care a lot about culture and have a lot of smart people.

Aug 16, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Care a lot about culture. - Meritocracy, Josh, the CEO is committed to rewarding people who do well. - Amazing product and market opportunity. The fact that the company moves fast with innovation and product changes to fit customer needs means it has a much better outlook than other startups and big data companies. - Smart and friendly people. - Easy commute, it's a block away from the Embarcadero station and Transbay Terminal. - Unlimited PTO.

Cons

- Can't bring pets to work. - Lots of work. But such is life in a startup and at least they care about making it nice to work here and seem to care about the well-being of employees. - Unlimited PTO, some people can abuse it.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Upsight is the BOMB.COM !!!!

Jul 8, 2015 - Sales in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- WONDERFUL people, close knit, feels like family - catered lunch, fun happy hours, shuffle board, ping pong, xbox in office - amazing platform that truly is the best - CEO who has an amazing vision for the company and is really friendly, approachable, fun, and sits right in the middle of sales and CSMs - opportunity for growth, and support to move into whatever you want to do - LOVE the culture!

Cons

I don't personally think of this as a con, I see it as a strength to the company but you must be okay with change. As a start up we are constantly changing our tactics and adapting to the mobile world and its trends. I find it exciting and fun, and it is the perfect amount of a challenge. :)

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing Company

Oct 13, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly the best company culture I've ever been a part of. The executive thoroughly believe in a solid work-life balance and go the extra mile to provide a superb work environment. There is never a dull moment. My team is working hard to solve some of the biggest problems in the mobile analytics & marketing world... and its exciting. This product has major potential. The Recruiting and People team are on another level. My experience has been excellent from the day the recruiter contacted me. I am honored to be part of this organization and wake up everyday excited to come to work.

Cons

I guess there could be more transparency and communication around company direction. Other than that, it is hard to think of any negatives.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not as good as it looks

Mar 4, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

There were many smart and talented people there. Great office and decent perks. People did not seem to work long hours. Very thorough hiring process.

Cons

My perspective from the Business side of the company... They were very effective at marketing themselves both internally and externally. Employees seemed to really drink the cool aid, at least early on. The general atmosphere I experienced was a little Frat Boyish. There was almost daily drinking of very expensive whiskey to celebrate the latest sale (this could be a pro for some) and fancy bottles were all over the place. Most troubling was that if an executive decided you weren't a star and wanted to replace you, they would not hesitate to lay you off. Their approach in this regard was callous and short sighted. There's the usual office politics, but this seemed different. Warning: The customer success manager/data scientist/customer insights analyst/??? position is really an account management job. So if your main goal is to gain experience analyzing data and understanding game design, this is not the role for you.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not a good place to work. But a great place to learn.

May 5, 2014 - Sales in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The main pro at this company is that because people quit so fast it's an incredible place to advance your career through title promotion. While the rest of the market doesn't fully see how dysfunctional things have become, having a good title at Kontagent is a great way to lateral over to a good job elsewhere. Lots of folks have taken this route and have done incredibly well for themselves.

Cons

Leadership has been incredibly poor with multiple rounds of layoffs, pep talks, and more layoffs. Josh, the CEO and now - following his stepping down - the chairman of the board, is truly a master at doubletalk. He frequently seems to pour out his heart to the company and is all about sincerity, and then he ignores people, plans secret layoffs, misleads people about their status, etc.

9. 5.0

Amazing People, Touch Interview Process

Dec 17, 2012 - Field Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, good pay, good atmosphere and culture, lunch is catered daily and they have a fully stocked pantry and beer. I'm new here but feel very welcomed and the people have been great. They have a good and capable sales management staff that seem to want all of the reps to succeed.

Cons

Tough Interview Process - essentially you need to dedicate the better part of a day to give presentations, have one on one interviews, and to take a flexibility test (similar to IQ test) Some of the process are not that defined yet, as the company is starting to add more structure, this should get better. Database does not have some information that would be helpful, including lead scoring.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Enterprise Class Technology + Fantastic Culture = Best Startup in SF (OK... the world really)

Feb 15, 2013 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Kontagent clearly has a killer technology that our clients love. We are constantly innovating and interacting (in our big open space). I am surrounded by incredibly gifted and motivated people who take great pride in making something awesome. Our People Team does all kinds of little things to keep us happy. They truly care about making this a great place ... and it shows.

Cons

I guess if I didn't have any self control I would get fat from all the free snacks, food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and beer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 54 Reviews