Upsight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Upsight Interview Questions

Interviews at Upsight

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Upsight.

Interview

I was contacted after my university's career fair.
    Initial phone screen with recruiter, then two technical phone interviews with a third party company. These were pretty standard questions: OOD, inheritance & polymorphism, factory & singleton patterns, binary search, hash table basics.
    Subsequent on-site interviews lasted one full day: Introduction to the product and architecture, 3 technical 1-on-1 interviews and 1 non-technical 1-on-1 interview. My experience with all of the recruiters, interviewers and the entire team was very pleasant.
    Technical interview questions included: Design a bounded queue, sort an array in place, and a lot of architectural/design questions tied to prior projects, along with a discussion of performance and process tradeoffs among design choices.
    After the interviews, there was a 2 hour coding project: write a program that reads a configuration of chainable filters from a spec file and applies it to a large amount of text. Interview questions and even the coding project were language-agnostic, which is nice and shows that this company is asking the right type of questions (ie, cultural+conceptual rather than encyclopedia questions about language-specific feature xyz). In the end of the day, we got to sit down with and talk to Jeff, Kontagent's CEO and founder, which was great.

Interview Questions

• "If you had $10m/unlimited resources, how would you scale your past project <xyz> to handle a huge amount of users" – this questions was unexpected more so than difficult, and led to an interesting discussion about design decisions.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted to set up an initial interview but was flaked on 3 different times. The first was to reschedule at the last minute. The second, I never received the call. The third time, I received an email that the person's phone wasn't working. It was really unprofessional and a complete waste of my time.

Account Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty in-depth. It required me to take a skills test and personality test for culture fit. It also required a full day of interviews which were not difficult at all and more of a joy just to talk with employees. Lastly I really enjoyed being taken out to lunch...it was a factor that sold me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Senior S/W Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

All communications were quick and pleasant. I had an insider recommending me so a phase prior to the on-site was very short. Your mileage may vary.
    When I got on-site I was treated with respect and attention. There was no hanging around and waiting on somebody to show up. On-site takes a full day and is packed with one-on-one technical interviews (they will take you to lunch in the middle). A bit heavy process in my view but then at least you know they are thorough. Everybody is cordial and makes you feel welcome (yes, the way it should be but I had seen quite different tackles in the past).
    Really nice touch was seeing CEO first thing in the morning.

Interview Questions

• 500 questions long behavioral assessment   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview process went fairly quick, though a bit disorganized. Initial phone screen was with a friendly tech lead who confessed to having limited experience with interviews and said he was thrown into the position - not a big deal, though certainly an indicator of how the rest of the interview would be conducted.

Next round was a two-part coding challenge to be completed over the weekend. First part was an HTML/ CSS challenge to build out a webpage given an image. Second part was a JavaScript challenge with vaguely written requirements - I ended up assisting another applicant (via their github page) to better understand the logic.

Over the weekend, I double-checked the company's website and noticed that the position that I applied to a few days prior was no longer listed. I thought that was curious, but proceeded with the test anyway. On Monday, I submitted the challenge via github. I experienced a similar outcome to another reviewer whereby not a single pull request was made. After two follow-up attempts, I received word back from a recruiter that while a strong candidate, they went forward with another.

My suspicion, given the lack of pull request on github and the job posting removal, is that Upsight offered the position to a candidate before I started the challenge. Would have been nice to know before spending the time coding. If you apply, confirm the position is still available.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen was common JS definitions. Design challenge was to build out a site given a design image. Coding challenge was to develop a string validator given a list of rules.   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied for an entry-level sales position at Kontagent. I was then contacted by a recruiter who wanted to set up a phone call to speak further. I ended up sending 3 emails to the recruiter trying to nail down a time until finally I was able to schedule a phone interview. We spoke for about 20 minutes where the recruiter gave many positive signs, saying "We just hired a new VP of Sales" "We are looking to ramp-up our sales team" They even asked about compensation range. Things are looking up when they tell me that they are looking for someone with more experience. Overall, a very bad experience applying to Kontagent and a complete waste of my time. A simple "No" after looking at my resume and realizing I was not their ideal candidate would have sufficed. Instead I was jerked around. My review doesn't seem to be the only negative review about Kongtagent, so my advice would be to screen your own recruiters better based on organization and better judgement

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral and did a brief phone screen with a recruiter asking about my experience. Then, I was brought in for a 1:1 with upper management and current employees. The questions were pretty basic and asking about experience with SaaS and what skills I have. The whole process took about 3 hours and I had lunch with the team and got to ask them questions. The interview ended with some skills tests that were average in difficulty. They have a nice office and good culture, but reading the reviews on Glassdoor, it seems like they go through a lot of churn or tend dispose of people who don't succeed in the role. It definitely sounded like a fake culture to me so I'm glad I didn't get the position.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Be prepared for a long day of interviews. The positive to that is the actual process of first contact to finding out if you get offered the job is short and painless. If you can withstand meeting a handful of personable, intelligent potential colleagues and impress them, you will be on the right path.

Interview Questions

• The personality tests are long - expect to spend at least an hour taking these tests.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Sales Recruiter recently contacted me on Linkedin for a Sr. SE role. She and I spoke, but I insisted I was fit for another role and she insisted back that I wasn't fit, but she said she liked my tenacity so she took a chance on me and set me up for a phone screen with the Manager. The Manager also said I didn't have the exact experience for this role, but there's something about me that he likes so he brought me in. They have an amazing office and a really great team who have a great balance in grilling you to make sure you're a fit, yet making sure you feel welcome too. In the end, the team liked me even though I wasn't a fit like the Recruiter said, but I appreciated her for getting me that far and taking a chance.

She said she'd stay in touch because they do open new positions or even create positions for people who they really want in the company, which is something really rare. I thought she was just saying that to be nice, but a few weeks later, she called me back to come in for another role that they just created and she thought I was a great fit! I'm still in the process, but whatever happens, I can actually say this company really does go above and beyond for their candidates. My Recruiter even kept me in the loop throughout the process by texting me and it was very convenient. Hoping to get my foot in the door of this great company soon or in the future!

Interview Questions

• Present your strategy on what you would do to succeed in this role.   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Upsight (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by onsite interview and then a second round of onsite interviews. The initial phone screen was a basic personality and culture fit screen; they covered the basic questions regarding experience and employment history. This was followed by an onsite interview. The onsite interview started off with a basic skills aptitude test, which felt like taking the SAT's again, which was "interesting". This was followed by 1:1's where they assessed my personality and skill set. There were overlapping questions, from interviewers.

One thing that I found refreshing was that the Recruiting Coordinator at the time made the experience very personal, calling me to inform me that I was a pass instead of a sending a generic e-mail.

Interview Questions

• Take the Basic Skills aptitude test   1 Answer