Utility Risk Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Adam Rousselle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Management sunk this ship"

I worked at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Bad people to work for

2. "Bad executives, Good people, Poor execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stowe, VT

I worked at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff in engineering, field operations, QA, and GIS were excellent.
    Many smart and innovative ideas came from people with unimpressive positions and titles.
    People rallied together to meet unrealistic deadlines and expectations, often times over and over again.

Cons

CEO was toxic, abusive, and made everyone around him do worse work.
    He constantly changed his mind about direction at the last minute, pressured his executives with delusional expectations, and avoided responsibility after making massive mistakes.
    Vendors and contract employees were worked like rented mules and then dumped.
    Financials were dubious at best, with many unscrupulous practices and accounting tricks.

Advice to Management

Former CEO should retire and spare others from his incompetence and wrath.

3. "Very Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stowe, VT

I worked at Utility Risk Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers- fun and friendly, had a basketball hoop in the parking lot. Very youthful culture.

Middle management- very pleasant, approachable people, unfortunately hamstrung by poor communication and disorganized objectives from senior management.

Beautiful location-Stowe was a treat, and the 45 minute drive to work every day was very pleasant.

Challenging work- I was very interested in LiDAR and some of the novel technologies I was introduced to during my time at URMC. There was a lot of talent and passion crammed into a very small space, and the energy was fantastic.

Cons

Extremely bad management- I'm sure every "former employee" says this, but it's true. A company who's primary resources are electricity and bandwidth should not be located in a rural area. Stowe is also one of the most expensive towns on the East Coast, in property costs and taxes. The company was only there so people could ski during work.

Senior management and sales were located in PA, over 300 miles from the production arm of the company. If the CEO wanted to give us a pep talk, he had to get on a plane, fly two hours, drive an hour from the airport, then turn around and head home. Usually he would just talk to us on speakerphone.

The company was in bankruptcy in 2008, when they were saved by the New York Blackout (which was caused by a vegetation incursion). All electric utilities in the United States were ordered to survey their lines within three years. From 2009-2012, URMC was swimming in money, but this surplus was so badly managed that within six months of this burst of work ending, 90% of employees had been laid off.

I wish there was a way to "Strongly Disapprove" of the CEO. He was the single biggest problem with the company.

Location- As I said about, Stowe is very rural. My commute was 45 minutes, which was common for employees.

I was interested in making a career at URMC, I liked the people and I enjoyed the work we were doing. Overall, my experience was one of wasted potential.

Advice to Management

Adam, I don't know who you're trying to fool with those two reviews in 2013. They're pretty funny. Honestly, I thought the company had folded six months before that. No one is going to believe them, they read like a press release.

My advice would be to take whatever money is left and retire to somewhere in Central America. Somewhere warm, where your creditors can't find you. Please don't start another company, for everyone's sake.

"Dynamic, Fast-Paced Work Environment"

I have been working at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

URMC offers unique experience that few other firms could provide. Being an industry leader in the energy sector gives both a detailed view and a big-picture outlook of the world that is second-to-none. In my time at URMC I feel that I have gained a level of experience commensurate with peers that have spent a decade at their respective firms. And best of all, the work being done can be directly associated with improvements in the reliability, safety, and performance of the nation's electric grid.

Cons

The changing landscape of the company has no doubt contributed to it being a bumpy ride over the past few years, but presently there is real traction and a positive outlook on the future.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, and continue striving to reach our goals.

"Proud to work at URMC"

Current Employee - Engineer in Stowe, VT

I have been working at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Our senior team focuses on the financial success of our clients and our firm. I like learning from our experiences. Direct dealings with senior executives at major US corporations. Making a difference. Equity in the results of our work. Reducing the carbon footprint directly.

Cons

Pushing advanced technologies is a long process. Sometimes requires a perpetual schedule. Always being on the edge of technology and balacing this with being on the edge of financial success.

Advice to Management

Stay true to what we have been doing for 5 years.Our technology has found massive excess capacity and we are on to something.

"Evolving Company"

I have been working at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company - Over several years at URMC the work has constantly been exciting and challenging as well as being unique. The technology URMC applies has developed significantly through both the industry's and URMC's advances. The applications of this technology and business strategies at URMC have constantly evolved due to changes in regulations and opportunities in the energy market. Being able to understand these changes and discover different and unique market opportunities is what has made URMC successful in the past and will continue to give URMC success in the future.

Compensation & Benefits - Salaries have and continue to be fair and competitive at all levels. The benefit package provided to all employees is very comprehensive and shows a concern and understanding to life outside of work.

The Culture and Work/Life Balance at URMC has been one of my favorite aspects. URMC has developed a culture that is easy and fun to work in while still allowing employees to be efficient contributors. The Work/Life Balance has allowed many employees to pursue outside interests to their full extent.

Cons

As referenced in the Pros section, URMC's applications and business strategies have evolved throughout its existence. While this has created many successful business opportunities for the company, it has also caused the company to grow and shrink in employee size (sometimes rapidly) to meet demands. In the past, this has caused employees to be let go for non-performance related reasons and has caused added stress to management on all levels. Unpredictable growth and shrinkage has caused employees to have doubts on job security. Senior management understood this concern and would take into consideration during business decisions.

Several of the employees hired to the sales team did not meet their expectations.

"Merchant Transmission Developer"

Current Employee - Vice President in New Hope, PA
    Current Employee - Vice President in New Hope, PA

I have been working at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is always looking to benefit the ratepayer and the utilities. We use advanced technologies and its fun to find excess capacity in the grid and know we are lowering the prices people pay for energy. We are the most "green" merchant transmission developer because we reduce the need for new generation by unlocking latent capacity in the grid, Great team strong leadership and committed advisors.

Cons

We are a small company trying to do big things. Cash flow is always tight. We need more engineers and GIS specialists. Hire planning engineers and some market/ trading specialists.

Advice to Management

Grow the firm, place additional responsbilities with our current team.

"This company disgusts me"

Former Employee - Analyst in Stowe, VT
    Former Employee - Analyst in Stowe, VT

I worked at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good experience, the non-management staff are among the best group of people I have ever had the opportunity to work with.

Cons

You will be working 20+ hour days to meet unrealistic deadlines, management is a joke, layoffs galore, poor pay. Look for yourself and read no further past the next sentence. As one reviewer said, go to LinkedIn, and ask other former and current employees.

To give you an idea of how this company operates, rumor has it that there are 4 employees left (down from 50 or 60). If you look at all of the good reviews of the company on this site, you will see 4 reviews all within days of each other. Now that employee count may or may not be slightly out of date but ask anyone who has connections to those still there and they will tell you the company is tiny now. Maybe it will balloon again, but I would not count on it remaining of any size given the hire and layoff cycle that this company almost seems to pride itself on. I also have a difficult time believing it will become a larger company again, at least in Vermont, because it's reputation precedes it among those they used to hire most, locals just out of college. Vermont is a small state and word travels fast. Management clearly did not anticipate this.

The bottom line is that no matter how convincing management is about how they care about you and care about the company "values", ultimately the only care is to make money by driving staff too hard and stabbing hard working employees in the back.

Advice to Management

No more games. As mentioned, 4 good reviews here within days of each other - you may as well stop by everyone's home who is looking at this and wave a giant red flag. The reputation of the company is in the gutter and the only way I see it improving is if the company is sold.

"Titanic Failure - Poor Products and Management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Stowe, VT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Stowe, VT

I worked at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were really nice, it was fun to be able to use some cutting edge software for geo-spatial analysis and data management. The Christmas party's were usually extravagant and fun.

Cons

Just like the Titanic, this company is a sunk ship; there are less than a handful of employees left and more than a handful of people and companies who would like to sue.

The company used to have potential, now there is none. Look up and contact former employees on LinkedIn if you want additional feedback.

The management has no clue what transpires on a day to day basis as they are all holed away in the New Hope PA office, which was only created because the CEO couldn't face his employees after breaking promises he never intended to keep. In a company with less than ten people, one would think that there would be no need to have two large office spaces, especially one in a resort town where real estate is at a prime, and that the money could be better spent elsewhere. However, instead of focusing on the important things, like the employees who's talent makes the company money or developing new hardware/software to stay competitive, the upper management focuses on how they can improve their lifestyle while wringing every last drop of productivity out of the remaining employees.

This company was in bankruptcy once due to mismanagement and it is headed back there at warp speed (they're heading there so fast they've gone to plaid).

The cutting edge technology and advancement was replaced with a sweatshop type production line of technician paid engineers cranking out LiDAR models and reports; all the while being led along by a salesman who promises the moon over the phone. Now there are less than a handful of people who are just struggling along until the eventual end.

There once was a set of values, established in the early stages of the company by a few great consultants; those values went out the window faster than Superman can change into his suit and cape. The lower level employees lived them while the upper management continues to do the opposite.

There was no work/life balance, there was only a work/work balance; the employees were all asked to work nights, weekends and holidays, when it came time for raises and bonuses, there were none. One year there was barely a COLA and no bonus, the next was COLA or raises and a super sub-par bonus.

Advice to Management

The management that is left thinks similarly to the CEO; the only advice I can give is to go to retire so they cannot bring another company down.

"Horrible company to work for, inept CEO"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Stowe, VT
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Stowe, VT

I worked at Utility Risk Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made a lot of good friends

Cons

Plain and simple, this company is going to fail...again. My direct boss was great but the CEO and upper management have no idea how to run a company. The spending by the CEO and executive team is rampant and reckless and is the reason why this company will (and should) close for good soon.

Hours were long and pay was sub-par at best. Promises were made and never kept. Moral was lower than inmates given multiple life sentences at a federal penitentiary. The reason everything is in the past tense is that there are only a handful of employees left, the rest have quit or been let go.

The CEO will speak to you and tries to give the impression that he cares about your well being and your family but you don't have to look to hard to see the greed in his eyes and know that he does not. He prides himself on being a former military sergeant; I get the feeling he would have used his team as human shields if they ever were in a fire fight.

Advice to Management

Since all the management was let go, I can only give advice to the CEO. My advice would be to take some time and reflect on your actions over the past few years and if you have any good inside you, you will see that you acted wrong and should feel bad; I would then call or mail a letter and get in touch with every former employee and say you're truly sorry for how you acted.