Vault Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark D. McDonnell

1. "Generalist"

Pros

Flexible schedule and ability to work remotely.

Cons

Clients in different global time zones sometimes posed scheduling challenges.

Advice to Management

Continued timely responsiveness to questions, new ideas.

2. "learning exprience"

Pros

learned a lot, flexible work environment, work ebbed and flowed so not consistently burned out.

Cons

awful management, several takeovers, loss of vision, misguided planning

3. "job review"

Pros

good pay and decent benifts

Cons

some complication on payments but overall good

"Great company UNTIL it was acquired by Infobase Learning"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Vault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The few employees that remain work in sales, research and editorial; mostly supporting the Legal vertical. These employees are dedicated, knowledgeable and great to be around. There are also a handful of sales people that sell subscription services to colleges career offices. The small team of sales and research employees are what's left of the original company; without them there would be NO reason to consider working here.

Cons

The acquiring company (Infobase Learning), is majority owned by the CEO and a private equity group (VSS). The ONLY thing the owner cares about is $$$. Every year there are layoffs and every year departments get their budgets cut. You can imagine the working environment this creates...actually, you can't until you work here. Every year you have to perform with less support, less marketing, aging product and inferior technology. Fellow employees, Vault and Infobase Learning, constantly complain about their pay (no raises in years), poor website development, the management, and the Infobase Learning benefit's package. The number one reason people leave here is low pay, NO employee recognition, over monitored work environment (email & phone calls), NO raises and technology that is flawed or simply doesn't work.

Advice to Management

Sell us to a company that "gets it".

"A great company till it was acquired by Infobase"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Vault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Work Environment, Great People, Chance to excel and grow.

Cons

After Acquisition the company laid off a lot of people, the direction is cloudy and the C executives won't to show positive revenue by cost cutting.

Advice to Management

Learn about the digital space before one acquires a digital company.

"We are becoming irrelevant to our audience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have provided career related content to some of the most prestigious academic institutions in the world through Vault.com and Career Insider, now Vault Campus. The company was acquired by Infobase Learning, a publishing company, several years ago. Infobase Learning, as another co-worker recently published, has reasonable hours and is located near Penn Station. Commuting here is easy. Virtually everyone piles into the elevators at 5:00 PM.

Cons

What used to be a very entrepreneurial company with co-workers that loved their company is no more. The management team from Infobase Learning has squashed the entrepreneurial spirit of Vault. Marketing is non existent (our traffic is at the lowest point ever) and our web development team takes months to make needed changes to the website. Vault has gone through year after year of layoffs. Most recently we released our Chief Revenue Officer, the backbone of Vault, along with another very knowledgeable employee, who oversaw a sales department and survey enrollment. We now have less than 20 people.

As mentioned in another co-worker's review. Vault inherited Infobase Learning's dysfunctional corporate culture. The CEO micromanages every aspect of the company. Everything is monitored, your work space your email and your phone calls. The pay is low and the benefits are costly. Not that you can afford it, but there is no 401K matching.

Advice to Management

None. I'm not optimistic about the future of Vault. I've finally made the decision to leave.

"A dysfunctional company that's lost in another dysfunctional company (Infobase Publishing)"

I have been working at Vault full-time

Pros

Vault law group is very well respected. Flexible work hours so you can take off without much hassle. The few employees that remain make the work environment almost sufferable. "We're in this together". If you can afford to work here, it is a place to start your career.

Cons

The pay is not good. You start low and there are no raises, ever. The benefits are minimal. Healthcare is costly to purchase and you still pay high deductibles. No development resources; updates take forever; no investment in marketing; HIGHLY monitored work environment. Layoff after layoff of good employees; no, great employees. Why?

Advice to Management

Work on the "Cons"

9. "A company that really cares about its business and employees equally!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Vault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is amazing and they promote within. They are for their employees and make sure appreciation is always given. I always felt supported and needed. my manager and coworkers work together to make sure everyone felt confident. The perks are great as well!

Cons

My commute is long, since I live in NJ.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. With the new resource live, the company is going to continue to grow and grow, because management knows what they are doing.

"Ironic - the company that profiles other companies' working conditions was pretty shitty itself."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Some very nice people there.

Cons

Um, salary cuts and 7 or 8 rounds of layoffs? blatant cronyism? no HR department?

Advice to Management

VC firm that bought company installed a CEO that did not have the talent to see the company through an economic downturn. He was very good at hiring his buddies though.

"Scoop on careers with a career publishing company"

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

Pros

Great co-workers, decent benefits, pretty regular schedule for a publishing/internet company

Cons

The company is struggling to survive right now, but that is pretty typical during the recession. Not as many opportunites to advance as I would have liked.

Advice to Management

Employees are worried abut the company's future.