Vault Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Mark D. McDonnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people. Great work/life balance."

I have been working at Vault full-time

Pros

Great, smart, cool colleagues & managers. Flexible schedules. Great work/life balance. Company's doing well.

Cons

Perks & benefits could be better -- but to me the ability to work from home from time to time & the ability to make commitments & appointments outside of work make up for any lack of extra perks & benefits.

2. "Well respected brand in the industry and great people to work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vault full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, both internally at Vault and the client base are remarkable to work with. I can actually say I enjoy going into work because of the day to day relationships with colleagues. The type of work at Vault is also unique and interesting and clients value the brand. Working on the sales team, I never feel like I'm "in sales". Rather I feel like a consultant and very well respected by clients. Between really enjoying the people at Vault, the collaborative environment of a small team, and close client relationship, working at Vault has been a great career move and has helped me to develop skills as a professional to move up within the company or strategically position me for future opportunities.

Cons

Vault covers a lot of different industries and has connections with a wide range of users and clients. Because of this, the growth vision of the company can be blurred and it's hard to focus on growing one part of the company without the other. Also, since the resource is online based there is always a need to try to keep up with modern designs and user friendly functions.

3. "Good company to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at Vault full-time

Pros

Allows employees the liberty to work on their own, but within a small group. Lots of help along the way.

Cons

Promotion is difficult to come by and raises even harder to get.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries.

"Generalist"

Pros

Flexible schedule and ability to work remotely.

Cons

Clients in different global time zones sometimes posed scheduling challenges.

Advice to Management

Continued timely responsiveness to questions, new ideas.

5. "learning exprience"

Pros

learned a lot, flexible work environment, work ebbed and flowed so not consistently burned out.

Cons

awful management, several takeovers, loss of vision, misguided planning

6. "job review"

Pros

good pay and decent benifts

Cons

some complication on payments but overall good

"Great company UNTIL it was acquired by Infobase Learning"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Vault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The few employees that remain work in sales, research and editorial; mostly supporting the Legal vertical. These employees are dedicated, knowledgeable and great to be around. There are also a handful of sales people that sell subscription services to colleges career offices. The small team of sales and research employees are what's left of the original company; without them there would be NO reason to consider working here.

Cons

The acquiring company (Infobase Learning), is majority owned by the CEO and a private equity group (VSS). The ONLY thing the owner cares about is $$$. Every year there are layoffs and every year departments get their budgets cut. You can imagine the working environment this creates...actually, you can't until you work here. Every year you have to perform with less support, less marketing, aging product and inferior technology. Fellow employees, Vault and Infobase Learning, constantly complain about their pay (no raises in years), poor website development, the management, and the Infobase Learning benefit's package. The number one reason people leave here is low pay, NO employee recognition, over monitored work environment (email & phone calls), NO raises and technology that is flawed or simply doesn't work.

Advice to Management

Sell us to a company that "gets it".

"A great company till it was acquired by Infobase"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Vault full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Work Environment, Great People, Chance to excel and grow.

Cons

After Acquisition the company laid off a lot of people, the direction is cloudy and the C executives won't to show positive revenue by cost cutting.

Advice to Management

Learn about the digital space before one acquires a digital company.

"We are becoming irrelevant to our audience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vault full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have provided career related content to some of the most prestigious academic institutions in the world through Vault.com and Career Insider, now Vault Campus. The company was acquired by Infobase Learning, a publishing company, several years ago. Infobase Learning, as another co-worker recently published, has reasonable hours and is located near Penn Station. Commuting here is easy. Virtually everyone piles into the elevators at 5:00 PM.

Cons

What used to be a very entrepreneurial company with co-workers that loved their company is no more. The management team from Infobase Learning has squashed the entrepreneurial spirit of Vault. Marketing is non existent (our traffic is at the lowest point ever) and our web development team takes months to make needed changes to the website. Vault has gone through year after year of layoffs. Most recently we released our Chief Revenue Officer, the backbone of Vault, along with another very knowledgeable employee, who oversaw a sales department and survey enrollment. We now have less than 20 people.

As mentioned in another co-worker's review. Vault inherited Infobase Learning's dysfunctional corporate culture. The CEO micromanages every aspect of the company. Everything is monitored, your work space your email and your phone calls. The pay is low and the benefits are costly. Not that you can afford it, but there is no 401K matching.

Advice to Management

None. I'm not optimistic about the future of Vault. I've finally made the decision to leave.

"A dysfunctional company that's lost in another dysfunctional company (Infobase Publishing)"

I have been working at Vault full-time

Pros

Vault law group is very well respected. Flexible work hours so you can take off without much hassle. The few employees that remain make the work environment almost sufferable. "We're in this together". If you can afford to work here, it is a place to start your career.

Cons

The pay is not good. You start low and there are no raises, ever. The benefits are minimal. Healthcare is costly to purchase and you still pay high deductibles. No development resources; updates take forever; no investment in marketing; HIGHLY monitored work environment. Layoff after layoff of good employees; no, great employees. Why?

Advice to Management

Work on the "Cons"