Vertive Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vertive Founder & CEO Steve Schaffer
Steve Schaffer

1. "Great Team and great work environment"

Current Employee - Online Marketing in Austin, TX

Pros

- Everyone in the team is very friendly, smart and hard-working. It's enjoyable to work hard with them.
    - Great upper management. They give great advice and are always open for new ideas and discussion. CEO is very nice and has great vision for the company.
    - Very systematic and organized company culture.
    - Good weekly catered lunch and lots of fun activities.

Cons

- It can get very busy during the holiday and work/life balance can be challenging.

Advice to Management

I admire the company core values and hope we continued to bear that in mind to keep the business growing.

2. "Love my job"

Current Employee - Online Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vertive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- We are in dynamic and interesting industry that gives us many opportunities to grow
    - I work with a great, dedicated team of really smart people. Our team hangs out outside of work fairly often (happy hours, movies, etc), and is amongst the most dedicated and fun people I have had the pleasure of working with
    - The company has made great strides in improving the experience of our website for consumers, and the pride in that really shows throughout the company
    - More than ever, we have the right right people working here. Cross-team communication, interaction and collaboration are at an all time high
    - Voiced concerns about the office, kitchen staples, company benefits, etc are addressed quickly in most cases

Cons

- Work/life balance can be a challenge for some teams at times given all of the opportunities for us to impact the business, especially around the shopping holidays
    - Office location is not the most convenient for easy access to lunch (which is offset by our frequent catered lunches, breakfast tacos, etc)

Advice to Management

Overall, my experience here is very positive and has been improving. Quite frankly, the most I have enjoyed working anywhere to date. My advice would be to keep doing what you are doing, especially helping to find ways for us all to continue to grow and progress, as well as expand our products in creative ways.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Non-management Personnel in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Non-management Personnel in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vertive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the Vertive for over three years and I love my job and the people I work with. I couldn’t imagine working anywhere else. A few of the reasons why I feel this way are:

Our corporate culture promotes professional growth and development, teamwork and collaboration and sharing of new ideas. We have a great leadership team, they lead by example, they are constantly seeking ways to improve our company and website and, in the process, challenge each of us to turn our ideas into realities, which are implemented within the company or on our website. They recognize that we are a talented, highly skilled group of people and they want us to continue to grow and reach for new goals. We are even given the opportunity to take continuing education courses that pertain to our job at the company’s expense.

Communication throughout the organization is great; it was one of the first things I noticed when I joined the company. We have a weekly company meeting to keep the entire office abreast of what is going on within the company. We have monthly and quarterly company meetings, as well. Many organizations only take the time to talk to their employees once a quarter, if then.

I think our CEO is a very smart, hard working man who is often misunderstood as being unapproachable. The truth is, he spends much of his day (and evening) in meetings and on phone calls, leaving little time for casual social interaction. He is trying to find ways to grow the company, which will benefit us all in the long term. I’d much rather he do that than chat with me over a cup of coffee each day! He does make it clear to all of us that his door is always open if we need to speak with him and he makes time for us if we ask for his help.

Our benefits are outstanding. Our company cares about us and shows us in so many ways – but this is the most telling of all. I have worked for several large public and private organizations throughout my career and I would compare our benefits to any of theirs and we would come out ahead every time. We have a very competitive 401k match, a superior healthcare program, paid vacation and holidays and we even have separate paid sick days (the leaders actually encourage you to stay home if you are sick so that you can rest and recuperate quickly).

In my opinion, Vertive is a great place to work and I can’t wait to see where the future will take us!

Cons

The few disgruntled, negative employees that every organization seems to have. My thought is, if you are generally unhappy, try to talk it out and find a solution or just go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and help us all to grow an additional 20% this year!

"Stagnant culture, little opportunity for mobility, not female friendly."

Former Employee - Content Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Management in Austin, TX

I worked at Vertive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning opportunity-- learn what not to do. Get performance marketing experience and learn more about the affiliate marketing business.

Cons

Upper management is robotic and close-minded. The Schaffer brothers are totalitarian. Not a lot of growth opportunities for female professionals because of the good-old-boy business mentality.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your employees and create genuine and empathetic relationships with them. They are the pillars of your business.

"Lack of Integrity, High Turnover and other RED FLAGS"

I worked at Vertive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most of the associate-level employees are personable and pleasant
    -3 weeks PTO, basic holidays, your birthday is a “holiday”
    -Usually flexible about personal errands Ex: dentist appt, sick child, plumber at the house, etc.
    -generous 401k match, competitive benefits & compensation
    - annual bonus (dont expect to get what is in your offer letter, that is a potential max. amount only)
    - snack stocked kitchen & Wednesday free lunch (though the free lunch quality has gone downhill in the last 6 months)
    -minimum overtime required (though it will negatively affect your bonus evaluation if you dont stay late voluntarily)
    -Company outings (improved in last 6 months)

Cons

-no learning or growth opportunities - expect to do this on your own time and dime
    -frequent and unnecessary fire drills in EVERY department, recurring theme & constant frustration for those who want to imp
    - no options for career growth internally (expect to leave the company if you want to move forward in your career)
    -as others have said – FALSE PROMISES – do not believe a word they say, it is to soothe your mind but nothing will come of it
    -Black Friday & thus Thanksgiving are not really holidays – most work during this time due to seasonal nature of the retail industry
    -management loves to micromanage, but claim they do not – very hypocritical in general
    -Some management (CEO included) are intimidating and confrontational making them unapproachable and in general unpleasant to be around
    -Taking initiative, being proactive, & creative problem solving is not rewarded here
    -Unprofessional, negative work environment

Advice to Management

Don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep. Treat your employees with respect. Top-down management is most effective so set an example with your own behavior for employees to follow suit.

Truth be told though - this is a “waste of breath” as management will acknowledge your ideas, but never take them seriously which leads to employee disengagement and apathy. Offers.com won't go out of business anytime soon but it will never be a front-runner in the coupons/deals space.

"Great potential - with an uphill battle ahead"

I worked at Vertive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Vertive is fine for a job right out of college when your expectations are low. They are taking steps in the right direction; however, not at a fast enough pace.

- talented, hard-working, and creative employees
    - 15 days of paid vacation, you get your birthday off, flexible hours to schedule doctor's appointments, personal errands, etc.
    - 401K match program
    - competitive benefits
    - annual bonus
    - free snacks and weekly lunches
    - various team outings (happy hours, catered ice cream, games, etc.)
    - My boss allowed me to have creative control and try new things which I appreciated - this mentality is not true for each department

Cons

- work long and chaotic holiday hours because of the retail space
    - flat or slow-moving career growth - you have to ask for what you want
    - empty promises
    - fearful of innovation and trusting employees expertise
    - lack of non traditional marketing

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and act on your promises. Don't make someone ask for what they already deserve. This will lower your turnover rate and keep valued employees from searching for other opportunities.

"Decent place to work, but not a place to advance your career longterm"

I worked at Vertive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- a lot of great people to work with
    - good benefits, PTO, 401K, weekly lunches, snacks
    - interesting and growing industry to work in

Cons

- old fashioned face time mindset in upper management
    - company tends to take 1 step forward then 2 or 3 back most of the time
    - ceo micromanagement
    - no real career paths exist, lots of promises that never pan out

"Terrible company led by terrible CEO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Vertive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the coworkers there are great. A fully-stocked kitchen.

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. The CEO is that terrible combination of too headstrong to take anyone else's ideas seriously but too unsure to ever commit to a direction or decision. I have never met a person who is happy working there, with the exception of developers (who are the only people the CEO doesn't know enough about to challenge).

Advice to Management

No sense giving advice... it would never be listened to.

"Fast Paced - Learn Fast"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vertive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned how to use data
    Learned a ton on the technical side of how websites work
    Learned Excel really well and took classes online
    Ton of really smart people

Cons

Lots of really smart people, intimidating at times.
    Intense during the holidays

Advice to Management

Share your knowledge with all employees

"Okay"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Vertive part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

mobility, snack room, openness, layout of teams

Cons

lack of passion, drive, future growth

Advice to Management

organization