Vevo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Erik Huggers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly co-workers, beautiful views of the city, very reasonable work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The people, happy hours, artist performances, the opportunity to bring yourself to a role, those who raise their hands are rewarded (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • New management doesn't like participation but delegation as said so in his first meeting (in 2 reviews)

• Used to be over sales focused, now a bit directionless (in 2 reviews)

1. "Production Coordinator"

I have been working at Vevo full-time

Pros

Great benefits, vacation time, relaxed environment, good work life balance. Town halls to discuss future of the company, free lunches on a monthly basis, snacks in the kitchen!

Cons

ongoing changes, certain departments are diverse whereas others are not. Not enough women on the senior leadership team. Uncertainty about the future of the companu

2. "Designer"

I have been working at Vevo full-time

Pros

Solid coworkers and good company culture

Cons

Process and therefore opportunities lost

Advice to Management

None

"VP Software Engineering"

Current Employee - Vice President Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Vevo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, fun product and lovely artist audience.

Cons

Ever moving targets, Remote CTO

Advice to Management

Pull CTO to USA! Or hire a new one.

"I learned how to start up a company from scratch using my music experience and knowledge."

Former Employee - Content Programming and Label Relations Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at Vevo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedules and great company perks like concerts. Great health benefits with full coverage at low cost to the employee

Cons

Hard to move up the latter even with much experience in the field. Ideas are only heard but not acknowledged. Amazing group of very smart individuals who aren't completely appreciated for their full potential to excel.

Advice to Management

Pay attention closely to your upper management and how their teams are managed.

"Love the people that worked here."

Former Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Vevo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best coworkers. Great energy and fun environment. Honestly one of my favorite companies I've ever worked for and if certain changes are made - I would work for them again.

Cons

Poor leadership. This company has so much potential to be something amazing, but the leadership is what is causing this place to be held back. If a couple of leaders were replaced, I would have never left the company.

Advice to Management

Know your strengths and your weaknesses. There are a lot of people here that see the great potential of what Vevo could be, but with poor leadership, good talent will continue to leave.

6. "Vevo"

I have been working at Vevo full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture.

Cons

Some of the internal process is inefficient.

"Overall Ok"

I worked at Vevo full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere, you work in the music industry, great co-workers

Cons

Can't really move the product forward without a lot of music industry politics.

Advice to Management

Listen to your core demographic more

"Love It"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Vevo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Stable company with inspiring leaders
    - nice work/life balance
    - lots of opportunity to get ahead

Cons

- growing pains (but the change is all for the best)

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Good if you're a code monkey, bad if you want to think for yourself. Other developers have average competence."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Vevo (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, isolated from the rest of the company, free to work on Engineering problems and not deal with broader politics.

If you just want a stable job where you just do what you're told and get to go home on time, this is it.

Cons

If you like be involved in and have a say in the overall architecture, or be self-directed and work with others, this job is not a good fit. I left very quickly for the following reasons.

Several teammates said they prefer to be code monkeys and not learn new things. Big red flag.

Manager had no respect for other teams, thought ours was the only competent one. Made it very difficult to be effective at my job by micro managing and requiring solutions be done his way. Unacceptable style for a team of senior engineers.

Manager had a massive ego, and despite having no more experience than I, would not consider my point of view. Seems like a pretty big problem that he'll have with anyone that he disagrees with in the future.

Numerous embarrassing bugs in the codebase. For example, shortly before going live with a big new product, a casually noticed endpoints that were just completely missing the right authentication or authorization checks. There were many other examples in the code where the authors didn't consider corner cases. For a team of senior engineers, this didn't seem right.

Advice to Management

Train your managers. Don't let people manage people until they know how to. Consider yielding to the expertise of your team members.

"Headed in the right direction but long term future remains to be seen"

I have been working at Vevo full-time

Pros

A recent culture shift brought on by our new CEO has definitely changed the company for the better. Erik Huggers has a clear and concise plan for what he wants to do and while the progress is slow it's definitely happening.

Cons

Before new management was in place the company was riddled with arrogant middle managers who siloed departments and refused to collaborate. The new culture has been pretty successful at weeding out the bad apples and the overall dynamic has improved, however those who remain hinder growth and development and are more egregious than ever because they refuse to adapt (this is only bad if you have the misfortune of working in such a department).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing but recognize there are positive people who are on board with the plan being held back by malcontents who need to go!