Victor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Douglas Scott, Ph.D.

Pros
  • Working with severely emotionally disturbed children gives you a chance to make a difference in the lives of these kids (in 3 reviews)

• Great support team depending upon what department you work for (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management team (Office Manager, Executive Director (in 4 reviews)

• Further, the lack of staff creates an unsafe work environment (in 3 reviews)

1. "OSS"

Former Employee - Office Support in Lake Elsinore, CA
    Former Employee - Office Support in Lake Elsinore, CA

I worked at Victor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were very supportive through my training and they were always available to answer any questions.

Cons

Weekly supervision reviews in which the supervisor was unclear of her expectations.

2. "Clinician"

Current Employee - Clinician in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Victor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Fair salary
    *Great team atmosphere
    *Supportive supervising staff
    *Excellent training opportunities
    *Flexible schedule
    *Good benefits
    *mileage reimbursement
    *Management makes employees truly feel valued for their hard work
    *direct services with clients and their families can be very rewarding

Cons

*Lots of paperwork (but it comes with the territory in mental health)
    *Service percentage is an emphasis
    *Wear and tear on your vehicle if you are field based

Mar 14, 2017 – PR

Thanks for the review! We appreciate your input and are so glad you are a part of our team.

3. "Making a Difference in the Lives of Others"

Current Employee - Director of Administrative Services in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Administrative Services in Chico, CA

Pros

I love working at Victor! It has been such a great support to me in my goals. I hear over and over many staff expressing how much they love working here, because of the ability to help kids and make a difference in their lives, and because they are valued withing the agency for the work they do. It is also great to hear all the many success stories of our clients. I love being a part of setting the strategic goals for the agency and hearing information about the financial and managerial strength that is shared by our CEO with the entire agency.

Cons

I do not have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Victor is an amazing company.

Dec 12, 2016 – PR

Thanks for the comment. We appreciate and value our employees and are thrilled that you love your job!

"Am residential counselor"

Former Employee - Instructional Aid/AM Residential Counselor in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Aid/AM Residential Counselor in Stockton, CA

I worked at Victor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Christmas parties and awards.

Cons

Work you to death, miss use of funds, never about the children.

Advice to Management

None

Dec 12, 2016 – PR

First of all, thank you for 10 years of service. That is amazing. We are sorry you felt overworked and that we did not convey the depth of care we have for the children we serve. We are constantly ... More

6. "OSS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gardena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gardena, CA

I have been working at Victor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an organization that has county resources to help the community.

Cons

Over worked and under paid. Corporate doesn't have a clue how stressed and overwhelmed the employee's are. Not sure if they really care. Seems to be more interested in making sure that upper management is happy. Meaning the Regional and Executive Directors.

Advice to Management

Corporate should spend an entire week at each site to get the full picture of how sites function. One day is not enough time to get the full effects of how hard the employees really work. I think corporate would then review the low pay scales and appreciate lower level employees.

Dec 12, 2016 – PR

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We will take your advice under consideration. We do recognize that working with the population we serve can be challenging.

7. "A Wonderful Place to Work and Play!"

Current Employee - Program Staff in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Program Staff in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Victor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Victor has more than sixty years of serving the most emotionally disturbed children in the state of California. The work is emotionally and mentally challenging but the leadership and management staff of this stellar agency constantly strive to create a work culture that supports the mission, values, and the employees providing the much needed services. The agency has had only two CEO's in its history and this continuity of leadership has helped to ensure the mission and values of the agency are alive and real throughout the many work sites. I would say that Victor is filled with people who are dedicated to trying to make the world a better place, along with making the work culture a happy and fulfilling place to be. I have seen many examples of where the leadership makes decisions that are in the best interest of the employees, including maximizing health and other employee benefits while other agencies and companies are just charging more and more to their employees for these things, or not providing them at all. I have worked at five different agencies/companies in my career and have made Victor my home! There are always "pockets" of negative employees, but overall, the culture is one of care for one another, respect for differences, and a constant striving for excellence in all that is being done.

Cons

Because Victor is a learning organization, believing in the development and growth of its employees while working at Victor, sometimes employees who cannot do the job or do not fit with the positive culture are "held onto" too long. However, there is no easy way to know the precise time to help someone leave....I would rather be a part of a company that give employees a full chance rather than one that is quick to give up on them. So, even this is not really a con.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for excellence in all that the mission and values indicate!

"Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Victorville, CA

Pros

My experience with Victor Community Support Services has been fantastic. From my first contact with HR to set up my candidate interview to the present I was welcomed like one of the family. I've found Victor to be an intentional employer holding very high standards applied to all levels of staff, especially managers and supervisors.

I have only been with Victor for a few years and I have watched several dedicated staff be promoted up through the ranks. One was promoted from Clinician all the way to an Executive Director. I have personally seen Victor make an investment into each staff at my site through clinical and leadership skill building seminars to regular trainings to keep all staff current in their areas of expertise. Victor is a learning centric company and it makes learning and growing a large part of its DNA.
    Working with seriously mentally ill children and their families is very difficult and not for everyone. That's why I feel privileged working with and for the most talented and caring staff. I have watched many staff sacrifice their time and personal needs to help their clients who are struggling to make the best of their lives, while at the same time supporting and encouraging their co-workers.
    If you are looking to work for a company who is dedicated to providing the absolute best care for its clients and is also invested in your future and professional development, then give Victor a look. You will not be disappointed.

Cons

Some will find it difficult working at Victor because we do hold all staff at all levels accountable to provide excellent service with integrity and professionalism. So if you are looking for a company who doesn't care about how services impact their clients and holding to valued standards then don't look to Victor. Moreover, in the ever changing world of being a behavioral health service provider you must be adaptable to change, not because Victor is always changing things but because local and state regulations are in constant change. Again, this is difficult for some to personally navigate and adjust. So if you don't like change this field will be difficult for you. However, at Victor we embrace change and the resilience it brings.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the plethora of opportunities to grow personally and professionally.

Aug 25, 2016 – Marketing/HR

Thanks for the great description of life with Victor! Willingness to change is definitely a key quality among our successful and awesome employees!

"Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I have been working at Victor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Victor offers great services for families. Coworkers are nice and supportive.

Cons

Leadership, Leadership, Leadership! Victor can be an awesome place to work, once you start over with leadership.

Advice to Management

Leaders should have the ability to inspire, be positive, have integrity, support and facilitate a team. Unfortunately I don't see this with some of the leadership at Victor. There are a few leaders you need to get rid of and start over.

Aug 1, 2016 – Marketing/HR

Thank you for your input regarding the need for excellent leadership and management in running a non-profit agency. We fully agree with you that employing leaders and managers who are aligned with ... More

"It must be really bad now..."

Former Employee - Clinician in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Redding, CA

Pros

They are desperate for employees...

Cons

Lack of integrity, lack of character in upper management, manipulation from management, favoritism not based on performance but solely on how much money you bring the program, safety and effective treatment is not a priority but "looking good" to the public is.

Advice to Management

Take accountability and stop trying to make things look better than they are...This place is only a stepping stone for most because it is not what it used to be.

Sep 20, 2016 – Public Relations/HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review. We appreciate and value feedback regarding how we are doing across multiple aspects of our organization. Victor supports a culture of ... More

11. "Licensed Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victorville, CA

Pros

This organization upholds high standards for services delivery to youth and families, is committed to providing services in the communities, has a strong focus on financial strength, leads the way in numerous Counties regarding outcomes and quality care, has sustained during a down turn in the economy, utilizes the Values and Mission as agency compass. A solid place to land and to do great work if you are dedicated and passionate about serving youth and families. It's not often that leadership focuses on health and wellness of employees and compassion for others. This is refreshing and is embedded throughout.

Cons

Redefining and re-organizing to meet the ever demanding needs of State and National standards. Newer leadership still forming, not unlike other similar agencies both non-profit and governmental. Many newer employees aren't equipped to serve such high need youth and families. Some areas are remote and difficult to recruit high quality employees. Tough work...you have to really love it and be willing to be trained. Must be open to learning and professional growth!

Jul 12, 2016 – Marketing/HR

Thanks so much for this review. We work hard to care for our employees and while we don't always get it right, we love knowing that you feel we are living up to that value.