KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Virtual Reviews

Updated Oct 3, 2021

Found 44 of over 70 reviews

3.7
Virtual CEO Andy Freed (no image)
Andy Freed
Pros
  • "Wonderful work environment that really fosters career growth(in 7 reviews)

• "Work-home life balance is great and I love the opportunity to work from home if need be(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "upper management(in 2 reviews)

• "management seems(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company!

May 7, 2021 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, great team, fun work culture.

Cons

A lot of work and a little understaffed.

CEO

This is great to see---its always nice to know that the things we do to create a great culture are working and are appreciated. I hear you on "a lot of work and a little understaffed". There are times when one of those gets ahead of the other--and we do our best to hire to keep up. Heck, we've filled 34 positions in 2021--all over Zoom! I can't wait to find out how tall all these new people are....

2. 3.0

Good Benefits but Bad Management

Aug 12, 2021 - Program Manager in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Virtual has one of the best benefit packages out there. Great insurance, unlimited vacation. 100% Remote capability. Great employees - the ones who actually do all the work.

Cons

Salary - OK but not great. No forward mobility-Instead of promoting within they decide to hire new people for director or higher levels. Or only people in some locations get the promotions. Over worked - 100%. Expected to only put in X number of hours for clients. But impossible to do so because of client expectations or having to do extra work that really should be done by the person above you. Even with the cons I would have stayed at Virtual if I didn't have the supervisor I did. He was a complete joke. Because he is buddy, buddy with the CEO he is allowed to get away with doing nothing. ( see CEO out of office video this year)All his Program Managers/Coordinators do his work for him. He is not technically able to nor does he think he should do all the work. He gets paid to do half the work that the people below him get for a fraction of the salary. Absolutely the only reason I left. Otherwise I would have stayed at Virtual; as I LOVED working with my clients and LOVED the other people I worked with and as stated in the Pros the benefits are fantastic.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I'm glad you appreciate much about the company, we're proud of our benefits, fantastic team and great clients. I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with your manager. It's been a long time since I read To Kill a Mockingbird in Mrs. Boersma's ninth grade English class, but I do remember one of the central messages--you don't really understand someone until you walk in their shoes. In that spirit, I'll assure you having walked in the shoes of our Directors that they do quite a bit of important work. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. On your concern on forward mobility, I'll just let the numbers speak for themselves. We've had 39 internal promotions in the last 18 months. That's in a company of a little over 200 people--put another way, about 20% of the company has gotten a promotion in the last 18 months. I totally understand your concern on the workload. It's hard to balance client needs, client wishes and client budgets. But that's a challenge for every professional service firm. Thanks again for writing. We listen to everything that we hear.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Outstanding, thoughtful, generous employer

Apr 22, 2021 - Senior Director in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The senior management team of Virtual -- and especially the President -- always has the welfare of employees at top of mind -- along with the welfare of clients. This is a creative, inspiring environment to develop a career in.

Cons

It's hard to work with a team spread out over multiple offices, but to the extent that it can be done, Virtual is doing it -- with frequent staff zoom meetings -- and when it is possible again, face to face annual gatherings.

CEO

Thanks for your kind words and glad to here you're happy here! In the end, this is a simple business--our mission is to drive client success. And the best way to do that is with happy, engaged employees. I'm delighted to hear that you're one of them!

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Pros and Cons

Jul 7, 2021 - Program Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome learning opportunity and exposure to major companies and orgs Ability to be 100% remote Tons of opportunity to travel internationally Not a lot of micromanaging

Cons

OVERWORKED! Heavy client load and managements in ability to care or adjust to make load more bearable Rapid growth / not enough staffing to handle client load

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your honest review and feedback. You're right on the positives--we work with more than half of the Fortune 100 amongst the members of our clients, have embraced remote work long before COVID (it's why we're named "Virtual") and work internationally frequently. In recent years had client events in Australia, South Africa, Japan, Paris, Sao Paulo and much, much more. On the negatives, there is now doubt that we ask people to work hard. We do look at workload balancing constantly--and we've added more than 30 staff this year alone. Unfortunately, workload growth often comes hand in hand with client growth--we'll keep working at how we can balance the two, but at times it requires creativity and extra effort to manage client expectations.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

From Intern to Full-Time

Oct 22, 2020 - Web Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started at Virtual, Inc as an intern in 2017. I was just beginning to find my footing in the corporate world. Being a first generation college student, I was determined to find an internship early in my college career. Virtual embraced me with open arms. They walked me with through the basics and welcomed questions. In the first couple of weeks, I began working with high-level companies who impact the world in many facts people may not know. For example, I began performing website updates for one of our clients, Near-Field Communication Organization who manufacture technology that allows devices to connect wirelessly. After showing a willingness to learn all that I can, Virtual granted me more responsibility from managing websites to developing full web experiences for our clients. Although, I learned the basics and simulations in college, Virtual provided me with real-world experience which looks great on a resume. I'm going on my 3rd year at Virtual as a Web Developer and couldn't be happier to continue to grow.

Cons

Virtual could improve on recruiting individuals with diverse backgrounds.

CEO

I'm glad to hear that your journey with us has been a good one--I love the stories of people who have started with us and interns and go on to great careers with the company. We have some folks that are into double-digits on years of service that started that way. You're right on diversity. It's a place where we can do better--we've prided ourselves over the years on how many employees we hire through referral. While that's a great metric of people loving our company enough to refer their friends, it isn't the best way to diversify. We've got an internal D&I task force and external consultant helping us on this journey.

6. 3.0

short title review

Jun 9, 2021 - Training Coordinator in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

greatest CEO ever had a chance to work with

Cons

Not sharing any cons today

CEO

Thanks for the kind words--glad to hear you valued the leadership that I strive to provide for the company. Of course, the company is about a lot more than just me--we work hard to make sure that every leader develops and grows their teams.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great place for an opportunity with little experience

Jan 18, 2021 - Program Specialist in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company attempts to have a positive culture. Leadership is friendly and open. Very flexible working hours.

Cons

Company seeks quantity over quality when it comes to work. The organization does not seem understand how to properly scale in a way that benefits the clients or it's employees. This is a widespread understanding by everyone below the VP level.

CEO

I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience here and appreciated our culture. Your comments on quantity over quality surprise me--two of the underpinnings of our vision are "Drive client success" and "Excellence Everywhere" Our management team is quite committed to quality work and doing what we need to do in order to build scale for our organization. That's why we've invested heavily in automation and tools. I'm sorry you had a different impression, but glad it appears to have not colored your overall experience.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work.

Mar 18, 2021 - Senior Program Manager in Wakefield, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Trust, Respect, Flexible, Leadership, Team

Cons

Clients can be difficult sometimes.

CEO

Glad to hear you're happy here. I'm with you, clients can be difficult sometimes, but it sure is hard to have the business succeed without them!

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Prepare to be burnt out.

Mar 31, 2021 - Director in Wakefield, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits were always a plus. They try to do different activities to keep employees happy. They would frequently close early for holidays.

Cons

They work you to death and set unreasonable expectations. They tell you that they want you to lead your department but they want you lead THEIR way. They have a bad habit of making the same mistakes repeatedly.

CEO

Thank you for your honest review, and I'm sorry you weren't happy in your time here. It sounds like it wasn't the right place for you. You're right. We have high expectations for our team. We expect people to work hard and drive client success--that's our mission. Sometimes that means putting in extra effort in the form or more hours or harder work, and that's not for everyone. And you're also right, we ascribe to a certain leadership philosophy---its best outlined in Robert Greanleaf's books on Servant Leadership. That's not a style that everyone is comfortable with---it involves a defined set of values and behaviors that are very different from how many companies are led. And you're right again on mistakes. As a company, we do make mistakes. Tom Peters once wrote the key to business is "make mistakes faster." Apple Computer had the Lisa. The Airbus 320 crashed in its first big demonstration. Ford had the Edsel. Those are all pretty big mistakes from companies that are doing ok now. Bottom line, Virtual isn't a place for everyone. I'm ok with that. And I hope you find a place that is more right for you in your next position. PS I'm writing this on a Friday morning--and we're closing today for Easter weekend at noon. So glad we agree on that being a positive! :-)

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Shows a real interest and concern for employees

Oct 26, 2020 - Service Delivery Coordinator in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Virtual genuinely seems to care about its employees and does its best to live by its values. Many of the perks are great and there is always an opportunity for employees to have their voices heard. They are driving initiatives toward diversity and inclusion and seeks to make available a truly inclusive and accepting environment. This is honestly the best place I've ever worked for and I look forward to continuing my career here.

Cons

Base pay in my particular location is not quite at a living wage. The company says that it wants to level pay across locations and positions, but efforts toward this have not yet been seen.

CEO

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback and I'm delighted to hear that this is the best place you've ever worked. That's what we're aspiring to--and part of getting there is doing what you describe, listening to every employee. On the question of pay, we do regular compensation surveys to make sure our pay grades are appropriate for market. Historically, the Nashville market has had a lower cost of living and that has been factored into our compensation plan, but I recognize that's a market that is changing rapidly so we'll need to look at it more frequently. We want to make sure our compensation is fair across the organization.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews