Waxman Reviews | Glassdoor

Waxman Reviews

Updated Apr 25, 2018

Found 7 reviews

3.1
Waxman CEO Armond Waxman (no image)
Armond Waxman
  1. "Love Waxman"

I have been working at Waxman full-time

Pros

Amazing team and culture. Willingness to help you achieve your goals personally and professionally. Interview process made you feel comfortable and welcome! Great place to work if you want to advance your career.

Cons

There is always room for improvement :)

Waxman2017-07-21

"LeakSmart: No On-Boarding, No Team Mentality, No Developed Leadership."

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing for LeakSmart in Bedford Heights, OH

I worked at Waxman full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an employee of Waxman's small start-up home automation company LeakSmart, I was excited to walk in on Day 1 and meet many friendly colleagues on the Legacy side of the business who seemed welcoming and happy to help with questions I may have had. While the staff was friendly and out-going, there was a definite divide between the "LeakSmart" and "Legacy" businesses. Waxman is a family-run business with many... longtime employees, which we all know possess both pros and cons. However, they have seemingly built a community in which most Legacy colleagues truly care and want to achieve the same end goal. I constantly received positive feedback regarding the Waxman Customer Service Team for going above and beyond to help a consumer or rep. This team, in particular, was instrumental in my learning the business.

Cons

I joined the team from outside the manufacturing industry. I walked in knowing I was at a disadvantage compared to colleagues who worked for decades for Legacy Waxman and other LeakSmart colleagues who had been poached by LeakSmart Management from companies like Danze Gerber. However, I was eager to learn and perform well - I pride myself on my work ethic. Knowing this company was an acting start-up, I didn't... believe there would be an elaborate On-Boarding Program in place, but I did expect some sort of formal training. To my dismay, I received neither. Day 1 at LeakSmart, I spent 3 hours with the colleague whose position I would cover (she had already quit, but came in to spend time with me). After our time together, I was left a binder with some notes, an email archive to reference and was turned loose. Essentially, everything I learned about the industry, company and product was either self-taught or realized with the help of Legacy colleagues. When I approached my LeakSmart boss with this and other topics of concern, I was told to "talk with HR." He went as far as to reference that since we were "friends" that I should speak with this woman on my concerns. With that, he simply walked out of the conference room and that was that. Additionally, it was a true moment of reckoning for me and my future with LeakSmart. I was discouraged and disenchanted - my boss didn't care to invest in me, to help me learn the position and industry or see me succeed in the role. With his lack of interest in my development, I quickly learned this environment was not a fit for me. During my interview process, I met with LeakSmart Sales Management, and two representatives of Human Resources. I answered questions that were experience and situational based, as well as questions about myself and my background. I was then introduced to the 3 Pillars of Importance: Faith, Family and Health. (At the time, I bought it - hook, line and sinker.) In retrospect, that epitaph made for quite a contradicting story given the inappropriate comments and looks made toward myself and other female colleagues.

Advice to Management

1. If LeakSmart is to be a standalone company, it would have been beneficial to have a dedicated space where all LeakSmart employees work together in one section of the building. Doing so would encourage opportunities for open dialogue, team building, morale and promote learning. (At the time I left LeakSmart, the team was haphazardly scattered throughout the building and warehouse (not a conducive work... environment for a start-up). 2. Invest the time and resources for a dedicated On-Boarding program for new hires, especially those coming in from outside the industry. Taking time to spend with new employees goes a long way for morale and future dedication to the team. 3. Seek professional / developmental coaching or Management Bootcamp for LeakSmart management. A real leader possesses true commitment, compassion and desire to develop the team members - none of which the LeakSmart leader possessed with integrity. 4. Invest in professional workplace training. No matter the situation, every work environment can benefit from this kind of training. Especially given the old school mentality that much of this company still utilizes on the daily, a sexual harassment course can protect both the company any other employees.

Waxman2018-04-25
  3. "Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Waxman

Pros

- flex time - great supervisor, balanced good leadership and encouragement with space to grow and learn, offered resources - most people have a great sense of humor, I felt very welcomed into the company - my suggestions and ideas were well respected

Cons

No pressing concerns about the company

Advice to Management

None

Waxman2017-08-06

"Run!"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager

I worked at Waxman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I worked closely with in marketing. My boss and my boss' boss were fantastic to work for. [Note, they are no longer with Waxman either.] I learned a lot about a lot of different aspects of the business, for better or worse.

Cons

Old mentality. Affects moral as well as business. A strict 8-5 schedule with no option for telecommuting [in 2017.] Unrealistic expectations. Don't expect to ever take a vacation and not be bothered on it. An environment in which you are forced to re-do work over and over because someone above you "changes their mind" about the strategy previously agreed on in a room full of ten different people hired to be... "experts." Having your work re-done for you behind you back and thrust upon you the day before a business review. Having to deal with a verbally aggressive and abusive work environment with an HR department that takes six+ months to act upon a potentially dangerous situation. An outdated building with windows and natural light offered in about 10% of offices. The roof leaks everywhere. They talk the talk as far as wanting to change but so far they've yet to walk. The CEO judges employees based on gender, waistline, and weight while expertise and value to the company is considered secondarily. If they like you and you like money then you're in luck because that's all you can expect to get out of this company other than B.S. They're pretty good at throwing money at their problems.

Advice to Management

It's not us it's you. Take responsibility, get some new people in there, lose the old mindset and start over. Your business depends on it.

Waxman2017-06-21
  5. "Analyst"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Waxman

Pros

Good working environment and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Location, compensation is not very high and no return offers.

Waxman2017-04-24

"Says all the right things but stay far away!!!"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Bedford, OH

I worked at Waxman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's been a ton of turnover in Marketing in 2016 but before that it was a great group of people. Loved my boss and boss' boss.

Cons

The company culture is like a cancer. And they're caught in the 1950s. Expect you to be at desk by 8 and until 5. And then work all hours. Executives are way involved in everything and change mind constantly. Ask ANYONE who has worked there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and stop just talking about how cool you want to be and be it. Benefits need to be from 21st century with ability to support remote working. Stop pretending that the turnover isn't about the Company. It is.

Waxman2017-03-08

"From corporate to startup"

Former Intern - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Waxman for less than a year

Pros

They want to get better

Cons

They struggle with an old mentality

Advice to Management

Urge employees to give better work

Waxman2016-12-04