Textron

www.textron.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Textron

Misleading entry promises, failed expectations and finally total betrayal.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charleston, SC
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Textron

Pros

The people and employees of Textron are friendly, kind and generally nice to be around. They are understanding if you have a problem and willing to help if they can. It is a very nice place to come to work. The company is very cognizant of work environment and does this well. Mistakes are tolerated and re-mediated.

Cons

- Advancement in technical rates is poor, growth is zero. The performance evaluation procedure is a complete waste of time. The human resources employees are outsourced and do not work for Textron.
- Excessively process oriented, to the point where it is difficult to accomplish daily tasks.
- Middle management is a class on its own, most of them never did any actual work.
- Poor performers are impossible to get rid of.
- Salary is not market competitive for experience.
- Layoffs are handled poorly.
- Two layers of management has become the norm, an 'administrative' and a technical lead. This means dual the meetings and dual the wasted time.

- Allow employees in danger of layoff to relocate or at least apply for positions elsewhere.
- Eliminate about 3 layers of management.
- Create a balance between technical and financial.
- Localize the purchasing and accounting.
- Train engineers in business accounting and explain how the system works.
- Get rid of bonuses for senior executives, if the company is laying off or raises are frozen.
- Integrate the OU's better. One company / one rule should be the mandate, not just a goal. AAI and Overwatch should not have two different personnel policies.

107 Other Employee Reviews for Textron (View Most Recent)

Was boring with not much work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Textron

Pros

Friendly and helpful people. Employees have good works ethics.

Cons

It's pretty far away from the major cities so commute was longer than I would have liked. Buildings were pretty old.

Make sure everyone feels engaged at work.

I liked the company, but felt that there was no way for me to advance without moving to Woburn or excessive travel.

Former Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Textron

Pros

Good pay and benefits package. Generally, co workers were helpful and friendly. Telework or work from home was heavily promoted by most supervisors.

Cons

I spent a week at a training class when I first started, which was great, but they spent most of the time performing the administrative tasks (HR stuff) that all new hires need. The time would have been better spent showing me how my predecessor performed my job. There was no room for advancement within my department. I would have had to relocate or move to the internal audit group to be promoted.

Increase your training program to two weeks and have the new hire spend some time with another employee who already performs the same or a similar function to allow the new hire to get a better idea of the systems, how things are done, and what the job is all about. Assign each new hire a "buddy" to help them get oriented to Textron. This would be especially helpful for remote employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Textron