ASML Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ASML Interview Questions

Updated Jan 13, 2018

2.9

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ASML.

Interview

submitted a resume online; got an email from a manager asking me to take a seriously strange iq-like test that felt like it had been translated into english; did relatively poorly on the test since i did not have enough time to finish; was contacted for a skype interview anyways and had to spend the first few minutes explaining away my poor test result (maybe it's just me but that felt a bit beneath my dignity); spent the rest of the half hour or so running up against what i hope was a mismatch of culture. needless to say i did not proceed in the hiring process, but i am ok with that ;)

Interview Questions

• hmm i seem to recall it was some pretty standard stuff. one that stood out to me was "are you a generalist or a specialist?"   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ASML.

Interview

+ Initial interview and phone/video manager with hiring manager were thorough
    + Hiring Manager seemed very pleasant and easy to get along with

- One stage of interview process was held on a Sunday night, late like 9 or 10 pm
    - Onsite interview in San Diego was extremely ineffective. One interviewer hardly let me say a word to even sell myself for the job. The second interviewer seemed completely uninterested and more concerned that the Cymer HR staff was not their own company anymore. She also seemed to think a candidate relocating could not be effective in a role.

I have no clue how they could even judge my candidacy because I barely got to speak onsite.

-The follow up from the Recruiter was awful. Was led on for weeks to finally get rejected.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASML (Wilton, CT) in November 2017.

Interview

phone interview , 3 days later cheduled an onsite interview
    Phone interview: some questions about work at previous companies
    On site: no hard core technical questions. Only one simple schematic was drawn by me, to start discussion with the interviewer. Design problems were discussed in terms of approach, what components are appropriate, etc.
    Nothing like: explain how this circuit works or at what parameter value will this become unstable.
    Many behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• If you had a disagreement with someone, how did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • Do you prefer a technical or leadership role?   1 Answer
    • When you did not get along well with a co-workers, how did you handle it.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever worked on a 750V power supply?   1 Answer
    • How is your knowlege of TIA (photo diode amplifiers)   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ASML.

Interview

1 round phone screening interview: 40 minutes in total. 10 minutes about previous projects. 30 minutes about hypothetical design problems(4-5 questions with the same design, different kind of situations, figure out the reasons may cause the problems).

Interview Questions

• figure out the reasons why would a mirror(with the mount your colleague design) crack during transportation or installation   Answer Question
    • how to locate mirror during installation   Answer Question
    • dynamic questions like the first mode shape of a mirror in modal analysis, how to increase the natural frequency, etc.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malta, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ASML (Malta, NY).

Interview

Recruiter contacted for interview based on resume submission. Had a phone interview with the recruiter. Recruiter advised to contact at 3 week point if no contact. after continual follow ups the recruiter got back nearly 2.5 months later and said they were no longer interested.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at ASML (Wilton, CT) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone screen that lasted 40 minutes total. Started with some standard interview questions (tell me about a time when...) and moved on to some basic technical questions to get an idea for your mechanical aptitude.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilton, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ASML (Wilton, CT) in October 2017.

Interview

This was a contract position a staffing agency got in touch with me about. The phone screen was scheduled fast. It was questions about experience on the resume and general C questions such as: how do we allocated memory? ho do we free memory? What do we do once memory is allocated? What is circular buffer?
    Later i was brought on-site where i met 3 people
    The first person was talking about machines they make and about the machine they would make in the future. took me to the posters with the machines. Did not ask any questions.
    The second person went over position in my resume and asked 3 questions
    -how would organize class of random polygons that could include arches in polygons, circles, polygons, etc
    - add a new element into the binary tree
    - you have an app with 2 threads one is very busy, the second is lightly loaded. How to make sure the "light" thread would get resources. Apparently, the interviewer did not hear the answer he expected.
    The third person probably a sr. manager went over my cv asking questions about previous experience.
    - write a code in C which will check if a given word is a palindrome.
    The next day a recruiter from staffing agency called me and said there would be no offer. The interview was very easy as if the interviewers knew the result already.

Interview Questions

• You have an app with 2 threads one is very busy, the second one is lightly loaded. How to make sure the "light" thread would get resources?   Answer Question

Optical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ASML (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

A phone interview that lasted between 30 and 60 minutes. Started with brief overview of the company, followed by questions of why I was interested in the position and engineering in general, covered some personal design experience (specifically scenarios that involved design), and ended on a series of situational technical questions, one leading into the next.

Interview Questions

• Proposed a situation with a glass mirror/aluminum base device being attached to a mechatronic machine. How would you reduce the effect of the machine's noise on the attached device? What do you picture the first mode shape to look like?   1 Answer

R & D Meteorology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ASML (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

HR phone interview (A pep talk to get you into the company)
    Manager phone interview (Asking about your background)
    Onsite interview, present 30 minutes on something you are knowledgeable on, then go to 5 1 on 1 45 minute interviews.

Everyone was very encouraging and positive, I thought for sure they would make me an offer. After a month of waiting they told me they found another candidate. So don't get your hopes up if you think you did well. The majority of the company is chinese, I think there is a bias there if you are not chinese, they want people who fit their culture is what they said.

Interview Questions

• What is the formula for magnification for a thin lense?
      Why did you leave your last job?
      You understand California is expensive?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at ASML.

Interview

Was contacted by the "John Galt Staffing Inc." staffing agency by Sean Nelson. Never applied for the position. Sean found my resume online and got in touch with me. He was super helpful throughout the entire process. Was in correspondence with him for about two weeks after which I finally received a phone screen.
    The phone screen is not like any other phone screen I have been a part of in other companies in the past. It is a full blown interview. It went on for an hour.
    Suggestions: Read about UV light characteristics, photolithography process.
    Did not get selected although I felt my interview went really well. They want someone who is technically sound and academically excellent. Had high expectations. Did not even give me a feedback why I did not get selected. Overall, not a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your internship experiences.   Answer Question
    • Talk about one project in detail which you are passionate about.   Answer Question
    • Gave me a design question for a photolithography machine. Design a nozzle for blowing air on to the mask for cooling it during the lithography process.   1 Answer