Abebooks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Abebooks Interview Questions

3.4

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Abebooks (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Abebook's website and they responded in a week with a time for a phone interview. The connection was somewhat glitching, but overall it was an easy interview.

Following that they organized a series of in-house interviews that revolved mostly around my past experience and previous work. Questions seemed to revolve around Amazon principles with a constant focus of past situations.

Overall the process was fun and the interviewers were nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with ambiguity in emails? Tell me about a time when you made a mistake. Tell me a situation when you disagreed with your manager. Tell me about a difficult situation you handled with a customer.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

Interview process took a while. All interviews had many behaviour questions such as describe the situation, show me the example and etc. There is a small chronology:
    1) First phone screen with database developer. He asked about my experience, tools and etc.
    2) SQL test. It wasn't difficult. They provided a data model and database and ask to answer several questions and send SQL queries.
    2) Second phone screen with Manager.
    3) On-site interview. It was a nice journey to Victoria. I spent a whole day in the company and had multiple interviews with various teams and managers. In addition, got a small analytical test. Wasn't complicated. This day was challenging but it definitely worth the effort.

Interview Questions

• Describe the situation with your experience, when you were wrong or give me example when you constantly something improving   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Abebooks.

Interview

It was a panel interview and was completely focused on standard behavioral questions. It was very impersonal and genetic yet didn't cover any of my previous experience. There were some complex math questions they wanted me to complete in my head. One guy was insistent on asking a ton of trick questions that he thought were clever, but were not logical. My answers were correct and logical but I could tell he wasn't happy with my answers because it wasn't what he had thought of first. It was almost like he was jealous and too arrogant to consider a different perspective than his own. I left feeling like I would never want to work there or apply for a position in the future. I never got an offer but was planning on declining anyways. The questions I posted are not a joke, they are exactly what I was asked. Part of an interview should also be convincing the candidate that they would want to work there, but I was certainly not convinced in the slightest. They just kept pointing out that they had a nice office, and nothing about the people.

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks in February 2016.

Interview

First interview was a series of situational questions. Interviewer set the stage well and had a series of background questions to dive deeper. Took some time to set up the interview process and meet similar schedules. Once interview was set, it was very professional and took just over 40mins in total. Very honest, but tough interviewer.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Abebooks (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, both were behavioral based. The two interviews were quite similar, and some of the questions were repeats. They were both very nice and easy to talk to . Each interview lasted approximately one hour. It was difficult to hear through their phone system, as it sounds like they were using an application or VOIP.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a Risk you took   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to situation where you had commit with an idea even if you disagreed with it   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Abebooks?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks in October 2015.

Interview

After deciding to relocate myself, this is the first job offer that made me curious. Almost out of whim, without thinking much I applied for this job through their career site. Luckily they noticed my resume, and I was given a chance. I was invited for a telephone screening session (thankful, that one of my favorite professors is currently working at AbeBooks!). The first scheduled interview never took place due to poor connectivity. They apologized for the inconvenience, and scheduled another session. The interviewer was very polite and patient through out the interview, even after calls were dropped for several times during the 1.5 hours long, interactive talk. Considering this is the 1st interview after long 7 years, I had a brilliant time at the interview and enjoyed every moment of it. I sincerely apologize to the hiring committee for wasting their valuable time on testing me - and for not being prepared to talk about my own tasks.

Interview Questions

• Few regular HR questions, including 1) difficult time I faced at work, and how I have handled that, 2) introducing myself, etc. All other questions were very sensible, mature and reasonable - asked to pick up a few of my tasks, and describe my role in accomplishing the goals. I was also asked general questions about hash map, its usage in real life, and the complexity of storing and retrieving a value.   1 Answer

Software Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks in June 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one with the supervisor and one with a peer. Overall, the questions were situational question. When I inquired about the salary expectations, HR told me to speak with the hiring manager and the hiring manager told me to speak with HR. Completely disorganized.

Interview Questions

• How I ever deal with a difficult situation at work? If so, what was it and how did you deal with it? Generally, the questions were fairly useless for the position that I was applying for.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was very unfriendly. Interviewers don't make eye contact and ask a barrage of behavior based questions while they rapidly type on a computer. They ask very little if anything about about what's important to you. It felt very impersonal. There was no time left to ask my own questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to use data to make a business decision.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Abebooks (Victoria, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Complex interview process. First, you sit down with 3 different interviewers and then they give you a logic test, which was hardly logical. You have to answer all sort of questions, from simple math problems to matching shapes while being timed.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you failed at something. Describe the situation and tell us about how you handled it?   Answer Question

Java Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Abebooks.

Interview

2hrs Technical Test- write codes for 4 problems given

1hr Phone Interview- Technical + Behavioral
    Overall was good experience. Interviewer was satisfied with answers, but later said they are looking for someone more close to the current requirements of role and didn't mention any reason to not continue ahead which was bit weird.

Interview Questions

• Technical Test was tricky

Phone Interview Questions-
      1. About yourself
      2. About Past Projects
      3. Biggest Mistake made in life? and what did you learn?
      4. Biggest Challenge?
      5. Why do you like IT field?
      6. What attracts you to abebooks?
      7. HashMaps
      8. Collections
      9. Unix Commands
      10. Frameworks worked on?
      11. Brief about Spring n MVC