Academies of Math and Science Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

ELA/Interventionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2019.

Interview

The seamless process was a credit to AMS. Andrew was supportive, encouraging, and helpful throughout. I believe he was truly rooting for me, genuinely kind. Annalisia was great, easy to talk to on that initial phone interview.

Interview Questions

• One question was how I used data to inform my instruction (I don't remember the exact wording).   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2020.

Interview

First Zoom interview with hiring manager, then second Zoom interview with CEO. I was given a verbal and written offer immediately, which I accepted 2 days later. Then the circus began...

First, someone from HR told me that they'd given the position to someone else. I never heard from the people I interviewed with again, which is sad because I really liked them.

Then a few days later, the co-CEO told me that I was still being considered for the other position, which had the same job description but a higher salary. He said I could do a "trial run" at the job and see how it worked out. This seemed strange, but I was OK with it, and he told me he would get back to me by the end of the week. He never called back, and then I saw the same job that they had told me they had given to someone else posted AGAIN.

I was so confused at this point that I wrote to the co-CEO asking for some clarification. He promptly replied that he didn't think I was a "good fit," meaning I'm difficult because I dared to ask questions, I guess. He said they have plenty of other candidates... yet they keep posting the same jobs over and over again.

Bottom line, do not expect to be treated professionally by AMS. They don't care about people.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2020.

Interview

I initially interviewed with a recruiter, followed by an online math exam. I then interviewed with a potential principal, which has lead to my being given a test for mathematical competency. From my understanding, this is the last step in the process.

Payroll Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Tucson, AZ) in February 2020.

Interview

The interview process went like this first a Phone interview, then an in person interview. Then they let me know I had the position if I pass through the background checks, reference checks, and credit check. The from there I filled out new hire paperwork. This process was streamlined and pretty easy to follow and understand.

Interview Questions

• A past experience where I had to deal with a difficult employee/coworker?   1 Answer

Mandarin Chinese Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (New York, NY) in February 2020.

Interview

At first it was phone interview, they will let you know if you passed the interview or not within one week, followed by a in-person interview. The interviewer was very good.

Interview Questions

• how to handle difficult students   1 Answer

Middle School Science Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2019.

Interview

Very straightforward and open and honest. The initial interview was just about whether or not I actually knew how to handle a classroom. The second interview was with the principal and vice principal and then lastly with the school's CEO.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle classroom management   1 Answer

Third Grade ELA and SS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2019.

Interview

It was organized and straightforward. Nick and Andrew were very accomodating and easy to talk to. They respond quick and answered my concerns accordingly. It was an easy and effective hiring process.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my classroom management and philosophy   Answer Question

Academies of Math and Science Response

Aug 2, 2019 – Director of Talent

Thanks for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed the experience with the recruiting team. Happy to have you with us!

4th Grade Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Glendale, AZ) in May 2019.

Interview

I was set up on an interview with Jack Chang, by Andrew Sorensen. I was scheduled for a 5:00pm interview. Jack came out of his office and introduced himself to me and we walked to his office to start the interview.

Interview Questions

• What was my classroom management style?   1 Answer

Academies of Math and Science Response

Aug 2, 2019 – Director of Talent

Thanks for your review; we are excited to have you on the team!

Talent Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Tucson, AZ) in March 2019.

Interview

I received a terribly formatted email congratulating me on receiving an interview with AMS, which ironically requested a writing sample. My initial thought was, that’s very odd since this email looks so unprofessional - as did other emails that followed.
    The interviewer was friendly and professional and it went well. At the end of the interview she slid a 2 page test across the table and asked me to take it. The first page was full of tricky word problems, like you would find on one of those brain teaser websites. The second page was a paragraph of text to proofread.
    I find that first page of riddles completely inappropriate and unnecessary as an assessment for the position I was applying for.
    I wasn’t trying to get into a gifted student program, but apparently I was tested for one.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What could you contribute?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you?   Answer Question
    • A lake has a patch of lily pads. Every day the patch doubles in size. The lake is completely full after 32 days. How many days does it take for the lake to become half full of lily pads?   1 Answer

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Academies of Math and Science (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2019.

Interview

I interviewed with the principal, superintendent, and the CEO. I was first interviewed by the principal over skype. I then spoke with the superintendent over the phone. My family interview was with the CEO over skype.

Interview Questions

• Why have you chosen to apply for AMS? There was a lot of scenario type questions.   Answer Question