Addepar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Addepar (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. Heard back from the company directly in a couple of days to setup a first round interview. It was a shared screen coding session (~45 mins). We briefly went over my background then he displayed a programming question on a shared screen. I was allowed to solve it in any language. I was also allowed to designate functions when I couldn't remember the exact implementation of something (i.e. Java InputStream). He cared more about my process than exactness. I was then asked about any potential edge cases and improvements I could make.

I heard back within a couple of days that I would move onto Round 2 which was the same setup. I had it a week later. The question was finding triples in an array that equaled a given sum. I didn't handle the question well even while he supplied some hints. Took about 7-8 business days to hear back that I was rejected.

Both interviewers were very nice and answered my questions regarding the company and role sufficiently. The whole process was well run.

Interview Questions

• Build a portfolio reconciliation program. Output any anomalies in a given closing portfolio given an opening portfolio and a series of transactions.   1 Answer

Aug 30, 2016 – VP, People

I"m glad you had a positive experience at Addepar.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Addepar (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Got the email from a HR, and arranged a initial phone interview next day. The phone call is with one Project Manager. However, she was late for the meeting nearly 15 minutes, and did not have any motion to hear what I am saying. And she even did not want to provide any details of this position. The whole interview goes down at the very first place, I tried to pull up her interest by asking some deep questions of this company and some analytical plan. it seems worked, but I have no idea whether it makes any difference.
    The interview question is simple: go through the resume and why do you want to work here. In the end, she said she was very impressive my tech experience and will pass my resume to the Hiring Manager.
    I got the reject email next day. Have no idea why being rejected.

Interview Questions

Addepar Response

Oct 20, 2017 – Lead Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We truly value our candidates' time and try our best to be punctual. However, due to unforeseen circumstances delays do happen and we apologize... More

Data Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Addepar (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this role. She then expected me to manage her calendar for her and try to find a slot in her virtually jam-packed schedule. Squeezing myself into her very limited availability became a challenge with my schedule due to very few options. When I asked about the salary range for the role (to make sure we weren't wasting each other's time), she refused to give any info and said I would need to go through a lengthy interview process before any of that would be divulged. Due to the lack of respect from the very beginning, I chose not to proceed with the process. Hopefully they get better recruiters to represent the company.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in hearing more about the role?   1 Answer

Sep 11, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for your candid feedback. Our recruiters schedules are very busy because we do have a lot of roles open. I'm certain who you worked with tried their best to accommodate your busy schedule... More

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Addepar (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with HR person. Then phone interview with Head of Communications - the interview was not technical. Then google hangout with technical person - I had to create a landing page during the interview.

Interview Questions

Addepar Response

Sep 13, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. Its hard to tell what was negative about your experience from this review. I'm interested to hear what didn't go well for you and what we could do better. Please feel... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Addepar.

Interview

Recruiter contacted online for position. First round straightforward questions. Second round leetcode HARD question. Didn't expect them to ask that question in the second telephonic round. Interviewer did not help or guide at all in the second round.

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Addepar (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The hiring manager reached out to me on LinkedIn at the time when I was considering between two other top software companies. He talked me into the interview. I had one phone interview with anUI engineer, collaborating with her coding a calendar component and having a chat on CSS development trending. Got onsite invitation that night. The onsite interview experience was awesome and questions were challenging and fun. I met all the team members and I really appreciated their efforts to come up with such interview process. Got the offer the next day afternoon. I declined my other offers and got this one because I was impressed with their interview questions and had the best interview experience from interacting with interviewers, HR, and interview coordinators. In terms of compensation, the offer is very competitive and I didn't negotiate and just gladly received it.

Interview Questions

• Mostly CSS questions, pre-processor features, methodology for building large scale application, CSS debugging.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Addepar.

Interview

I found everyone involved in the process very professional and helpful. A couple weeks after submitting my resume I had an initial phone call and then a follow-up call to discuss a project I prepared. If I moved on to the next round, I would have gone for a full day on site.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Addepar (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview #1 With Recruiter: Got an email from a recruiter after sending in an application online. 30-45 minute call to know your background and see if the experience is a good fit with the role. They have a list of about 7-10 questions to talk through your experience and at the end a chance to ask any questions you might have. They'll be able to answer questions on team structure, different offices across the US, and give you an overview on the entire interview process which was pretty helpful knowing what was next, if you made it.

Phone Interview #2 With Product Team: 45-60 minute call with someone on the product team that quizzed me knowledge on portfolio management, basic ratios + financial knowledge (Sharpe ratio, risk-free rate, etc), financial knowledge, and high-level questions on approaching user research, design, new features, and quantifying/qualifying problems that you'd encounter as a product manager.

Phone Interview #3 Design Exercise + Product Lead Interview: 60-minute call. Was given a product design challenge to work on and go over on the phone with the product manager lead of the New York office. For the design challenge, you get a PDF of the problem and have one week to spec out a solution. You'll have to present the problem, your solution, fringe scenarios, and get challenged on different aspects in your thinking. At the end of the call you'll have an opportunity to ask a few questions. I went into the call with about 8 pages of notes on product management experience, different examples of launching features/bug fixes/working with engineers, a cheat-sheet on financial analysis, and a list of questions to ask after I was done presenting.

Sadly, I didn't make it past this stage but the recruiting team was quite prompt with informing me via email through the system. It was some generic message that all of these portals have. However it would have been nice to get a more personal note having spent three weeks already on this interview process, but understand some candidates may not always take rejection that well so it's easier this way.

Tip #1: As the interviewee, you should do some proper research on your own as their field of work is quite niche and enterprise within finance. If you have a background working in the industry as I did, it helps to put some context on their user bases (family office, RIA, institutions) and framing your thinking around the interview questions and applying that to your experience.

Tip #2: If you have side projects on your resume, you'll need to provide some guidance on the future of them. I think I gave the wrong answer here but I'll never know. Personally, I think they are a good way to learn new skillsets and become more experienced, but that may not always be the answer someone is looking for if it has to be all hands on deck into the company's mission.

Overall it was quite a pleasant interview process and the recruiting team is on the ball with moving things forward. A bit disappointed that it ended abruptly, but it's out of my hands and I'm grateful for the opportunity. Hope they find the right person soon.

Interview Questions

• What would you improve about product X at Y company?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Addepar (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I was very excited about this opportunity. The posted position was a strong fit with my background. I applied online and was contacted the same day about setting up a phone interview with a senior member of the executive staff. The call with the member of the executive staff went very well, engaging and mutually insightful. The call went over the assigned time, the interviewer assured me she or another member of the team would get back to me for next steps.

After a couple of weeks I received an email saying thank you but no interest at this time, no feeback, nothing.
    THE POSTION IS STILL POSTED AFTER MANY MONTHS, THE OVERALL RATINGS ON INTERVIEWS ARE NEGATIVE, THIS IS SOMETHING THE COMPANY NEEDS TO FIX TO STAY COMPETITIVE.

Interview Questions

• How can you help up build Addepar to a leading edge company   Answer Question

Sep 28, 2017 – VP, People

Thank you for your feedback. I believe your initial call was with me. I'm glad to hear that at least that went well for you. We had many applicants for this role and did communicate with everyone... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Addepar (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen - 1 hour Coding interview over phone - Onsite . I got a phone interview directly as i told them i have to make a decision within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Asked to write a code what involved arrays/hashmap for financial fund based problem   1 Answer

Jul 26, 2017 – VP, People

Why was your experience negative? What could we have done better? Thank you.

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Addepar (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a phone screening followed by an on-site, 3-stage technical interview. Each step was done for both the home office in SJC and the NYC office, so the order was Phone (SJC, non-tech), Phone (NYC, non-tech), On-Site (NYC, technical), On-Site (SJC, technical).

Interview Questions

• They asked me to demonstrate app-level security skills.   1 Answer