Allrecipes.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.3

Director Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied for a Director position. I'll be honest, I was absolutely 100% perfect fit in terms of my background and experience. I was contacted within 24 hours of my online application. I had a brief conversation with the HR contact (about 15 minutes), and then talked to the hiring manager that same afternoon for about 20 minutes while she admitted she was doing driving home from work.

I was whisked into a full interview loop for eight hours the following week -- I interviewed with more than 12 people over the course of the day. Given the go-ahead, I was sent to interview with the CEO (Stan) just two days later.

However, when I met with Stan, he indicated that the job was completely different than what had been advertised and what had been described to me by the hiring manager and by pretty much everyone I talked with during my interviews.

It was very odd.

So he asked me how I would do a job that I hadn't applied for right. I am very adaptable and had some experience with that area, so I dug right in. We talked for two hours and he quizzed me at length. I ended up drawing out a strategy on the whiteboard about how I would go about one of the key tasks. He said, "Wow, that's just what I'm looking for." At the end of the interview, he took notes on when he thought I could start. He even said, "I look forward to working with you" when he shook my hand as we finished up. I had the job in the bag.

But weirdly, when he walked me out, he didn't seem to know that I lived in Seattle which I thought was odd since he said he "really studied" my resume -- which has 20 years of experience -- all of it in Seattle. It hit me in the gut that maybe he confused me with someone else? I don't know. He left me at the receptionist desk, and I realized I forgot my coat in the meeting room next to his office. When I was walking back to get it, he was taking a photo of the whiteboard with his phone and then he slipped back into his office.

That same day, I wrote him a thank you email and reattached my resume. I sent a thank you email to the hiring manager and the HR contact. Then -- I heard nothing. Zero. Nothing. Nada. Never.

Over the next two weeks, I wrote to the HR contact four times. He never wrote back. I mean, OK, you went with a different candidate. The CEO confused me with someone else and offered the job to another candidate. Whatever, take a minute and let me know. I wrote to the hiring manager. Nothing. Two weeks' afterward, I wrote to let them know I had another offer so I just wanted to confirm I was out of the running. Totally gave them out. Nothing. Not a peep. Not even a form letter.

It was two years ago and I never heard a single comment back after I spent at least 12 hours interviewing. This was for a Director level position. Just totally weird.

I know several people who work at the company and ran into one at a conference. She said, "Oh, I heard you failed the Stan interview." Which I thought, "Um, if I failed it, why did he keep me for more than two HOURS? Why did he take a photo of a whiteboard? Why did he ask me when I could start?"

It was very weird and I've never had any other experience like that with a company - just the absolute zero silence/radio silence. No letter saying "Thanks but no thanks" nothing.

Interview Questions

• "Oh, so you thought you were interviewing for a different job? Yeah, I get that. You could probably do that other job in your sleep." - Stan, the CEO   Answer Question

Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone screen first, which took about 10 minutes. That was followed by an editing test emailed to me; the task was to rewrite/edit a user-submitted recipe and come up with a sample menu. I then interviewed on site with four different people, from the person who would be my immediate manager, two peer positions, and my supervisor's supervisor.

Senior Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Wasn't able to meet with the hiring manager the first time around, but had a phone interview and then brought in to meet the team. About a month total from first contact to hiring.

Japanese Editorial Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com.

Interview

Submitted resume and cover letter, heard back about 2 weeks later for initial screening phone interview. First round was with a general summer internship program manager, second round took place about 1 week later with specific department head.

Interview Questions

• What writing experience do you have that would translate to writing recipes?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It's a bright, cool-looking office with a nice view of Westlake Park. Really nice receptionist. The interview was extremely casual and frankly, not very professional. Just "tell me about yourself," then proceeding to talk about budgetary problems at the company (as explanation for why it was a now a contract role). Commented on what I was wearing in a weird way.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer did not ask any difficult questions. Didn't seem to astute as to what would be really challenging and necessary questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process was very typical. I spoke briefly with a recruiter who set up a further call (via email) with the hiring manager. I spoke with the hiring manager for about an hour and was asked to come in for an interview. I interviewed with 5 different people. The hiring manager didn't get as much time with me as she wanted so asked me to come back for a brief chat over coffee. I was then scheduled to meet with the President (who interviews EVERYONE to ensure they are a culture fit...that is impressive). I was sent an offer a couple of days following my interview with the President.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a fellow employee. What was the nature of the conflict and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, I was able to negotiate. Consider the full compensation page and make your counter offer. Also, this company isn't known for paying top scale but the culture/environment/work-life balance make up for a few extra dollars.

Site Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Allrecipes.com (Seattle, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

Extremely efficient hiring process, even during the company's busiest time of year. Phone screener 1st, then interview scheduled for 2 weeks later. Interviewed for :30 each with 4 people. Brought back 2 weeks later to meet with company president, who meets with every candidate. Received offer same week.