Altec Industries Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 2, 2017

2.5

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altec Industries (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2017.

Interview

Spoke to company recruiter at a campus career fair. Altec held a dinner that evening at a local restaurant, and offered an interview for the following day to everyone that attended. I was interviewed by two people, one of which being the plant manager at the location I was interested in. I was invited back for an on site interview within a week of the first interview.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Altec Industries (Louisville, KY) in September 2017.

Interview

First you have an interview with HR where they ask typical interview questions. If first part goes well you go to the second stage which is as follows: Plant tour followed by individual interviews with 5 different engineering managers from different departments.

Interview Questions

• What was on of your favorite projects that you have worked on.   Answer Question

Assembly/Forklift Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Altec Industries.

Interview

The interview process was fine. They took time with you so you could ask all your questions.
    You have to work through Chase employment services before they will hire you full time. The better you are the faster they will hire you.

IMPORTANT
    You have to go through a physical test. I have been through these before for jobs that are much more physical demanding than altec and this is the hardest one I took.
    You have to squat and pick up 50lbs then do it again then carry it across the room and back. Then you do 25 squats touching the box you just carried. Next, you do 25 deep knee bends or lunges. Then you walk back and forth on a 2x4 10 times. Next is the stair stepper. 25 times leading with your tight foot then 25 times leading with your left. You have a grip test and a push pull test. Then bending over 25 times. After all that you go outside and are made to climb a metal ladder made from angle iron and 1/2 in round bar. You must climb up three rungs, shift to the right side where there is a ladder of the same build, switch back, then climb down. You must do this 15 times.

This seems excessive. I climb ladders like that on my current job periodically (not 15 times in a row) and couldn't do it. If you don't do it, you don't get the job. I think they miss out on good employee this way.
    Good luck!

Interview Questions

• They want to know about your knowledge of tools and power equipment mostly.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Joseph, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altec Industries (Saint Joseph, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with the engineering manager in June. 2 weeks later, I was invited for an on-site interview.

Interview was two and half hours long with 5 different people, half an hour each. Typical interview questions on what I know about the company, past work experience and classes. Interviewers took me out for lunch after the interview. There was also a plant tour at the end.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Altec ? Why are you interested in working here? Describe your work experience.. etc   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Joseph, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Altec Industries (Saint Joseph, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied- 3/24/17
    Phone Interview- 5/4/17
    Interview- 5/19/17
    Offer Letter- 5/24/17

The process was smooth, in-person interview lasted 5 hours. If you don't live in the area of the office, they'll have you stay the night before in a hotel room and take you out to dinner (along with the other out of town candidates)
    Interview day expect 4-5 interviews 45-60 minutes each.
    Thorough plant tour with all the candidates
    Lunch catered with all interviewers and candidates

Interview Questions

• Standard experience questions
      What motivates you?
      Conflict resolution
      Team work   Answer Question

ME Design Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Altec Industries (Ames, IA) in March 2017.

Interview

I talked to them at the career fair at my university and applied online, they invited me to a casual dinner with the recruiters and other potential co-ops that night to get to know the recruiters a bit more and network with potential coworkers. A few weeks later I had an on-campus interview with an engineer at the company which was a very basic conversation about my interests and skills, no technical questions, was around 20 minutes.
    Received an email from them with an offer 4 days later.

Entry Level Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Joseph, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Altec Industries (Saint Joseph, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied trough school portal and got selected for an on-campus interview. Then I was selected again for the final round of interviews which was the onsite in St Joseph Missouri. There were about 8 of us for the onsite. They paid for everything such as hotel, mileage gas, food, dinner and lunch.

Interview Questions

• What projects have you done and how they relate to Atlec ?
      My role in those projects ?
      I also interview with some software people and was asked about database, software security, multithreading and processes.
      A couple scenario/situational questions (STAR questions types)   1 Answer

Supplier Relationship Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Altec Industries.

Interview

On site interview with four, 30 minute interviews, and a one hour plant tour. Interviews were mostly discussions about your previous experience and the things on your resume, not those terrible "tell me about a time" questions. Overall, it was a very relaxed interview, and I recommend you come prepared to talk about your experience.

Engineering/Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Altec Industries (Durham, NC).

Interview

I had applied through an online website but I don't remember where exactly. I ended up getting called in for an on site interview. The one in Creedmoor prefers that so they can show off the plant. It's a nice facility and is very impressive from that standpoint. Smart move on there end to try and get you hooked while in the building. Like most larger engineering companies they have their engineers divided into different groups. If I remember correctly they had 3 main ones: Manufacturing, Product development and Application. The product development engineers were the ones responsible for coming up with new products for the general market. The one in Creedmoor specialized in derricks I think (?). So they would help bring new ones to market. Then the application engineers would take the new designs from the product engineers and tweak them to their client's specific needs/wants. Manufacturing obviously sees that they are built. So when I went in I had individual interviews with lat least 2 different people from each group. So its a fairly long process. Not your typical 30-60 min kind of thing. So depending on what kind of personality you have that may be draining or it could be exciting to talk with and interact with so many different people. Pretty much everyone is very accommodating and helpful from my experience. Typically they would all ask about different things on your resume and if they felt impressed they would ask random questions off the cuff. So not nearly as behavioral based as a lot of companies. Despite the fact that Altec has an HR department it seemed that the engineers really drove the selection process and as such the interviewing was far more technical than behavioral.

Altec, in Creedmoor atleast, really seemed to focus on Co-op Opportunites. They have a good relationship with the local universities in NC for pulling in Co-op kids. So if your looking for an internship you're fighting an uphill battle. They much prefer bringing someone on for 3 different terms so that they can rotate you through the different departments.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Altec Industries in October 2016.

Interview

One-on-one interview. They asked me a bunch of technical questions but it was more to get a feel of how quickly I learned. I was interviewed by the plant manager, not someone from HR. He was very friendly and didn't make me feel stupid for not knowing the answers to some of my questions. If you bring up things that you have researched make sure to know everything, I knew general accomplishments of the company and when I brought them up he grilled me about the details.

Interview Questions

• How did I build this part? (Showed me a manufactured part)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the difference between strength and stability.   Answer Question