Ambarella Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ambarella Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2017

3.2

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ambarella.

Interview

1 hour phone interview.
    the interviewer is very nice.
    but no hints or feedback for each answer.
    wrote several basic verilog questions on a shared white board.
    system verilog
    applied online, soon received interview email announcement.

Interview Questions

• Asynchronous FIFO full empty   1 Answer

ASIC DesignPosition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ambarella (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I got contacted by Ambarella HR one week after I submitted my resume at school career fair. I was scheduled to talk with a senior engineer from the ASIC design team. He started with general questions about my resume, went into details of several projects I listed. Then he began to ask technical questions about Verilog basics, bits operation, digital circuits and etc. The question is very basic but covers a lot. The guys who talked to me was very nice and patient that he would guide me through the thinking process when I got stuck at his questions. Although I managed to answered most of his questions, I did't feel I did good enough to get the job.

After my first phone screen, I had not heard from them EVER again. I did not receive any email regarding my application progress nor did I get any rejection letter. Neither did the HR replied to any of my email ever since. Such irrespective attitude toward their applicant reflects their company culture from my personal opinion.

Interview Questions

• What's hold time and setup time? When does setup and hold time violation happen?   Answer Question
    • Please specify three ways to solve setup and hold time violation and how would you implement your solutions in verilog?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between blocking and non-blocking operation in Verilog? When will you use them?   1 Answer
    • How would you build a sequential block and combinational block in verilog? what will you use "always@ * "?   Answer Question
    • How would you build a 4 to 1 mux with only 2 to 1 mux modules?   Answer Question
    • Give me the number X in its two's complement form.   Answer Question
    • Tell me whether this sequential block is synchronizes or asychronized.   1 Answer

ASIC Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ambarella (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Two step process, 1. Phone interview, easy question 45 minutes.
    2. On-site 4 sessions 1 hr each
    The interview experience was good, It was paid trip onsite and they took very good care of me.

Technical Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ambarella.

Interview

I was interviewed for a technical marketing intern position. They were very responsive to my emails and the interview itself was extremely nice. The interviewer was very helpful and the process was very enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• They asked me how to count the number of 1's in a binary string and what kind of implementations I would use to do so.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ambarella (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied at the career fair of my school, got an email with the in-person interview offer for 1 hour at career center of my school.
    Got several quick knowledge questions like "What is a priority queue?" without having to code, and coded 1 C question.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to check the number of bits in the giving integer in C   Answer Question

Software Architecture Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ambarella (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Connected via a recruiter who had placed another candidate in the same group. Drove to Santa Clara campus on 3 different days to interview with a total of 5 people (the entire group), plus an internal HR person.
    I found the people very friendly and had a good vibe about the company. I breezed through the interviews and found them to be not terribly technically challenging. However, I am a long-time computer architect with detailed hardware modeling experience, and I believe they want a more software-centric person.

Interview Questions

• Question dealing with I/O in C++. This does not come up very often in hardware modeling.   1 Answer

DFT Engineer () Interview

Interview

The interview last 40 min. They asked STA questions. The difference between DFT and Verification. Verilog questions. Design a simple filpflop. Actually, the interview is not difficult. They use whit board as a tool. We talked on phone and write it on the white board. The interviewer is very nice.

ASIC Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ambarella in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, approximately 1 hour. First the director introduced what his group is doing and asked one of my course project. Then he requested to write Verilog codes, including switching a and b in one clock cycle, explaining blocking and non-blocking, and implementing FSM of a pattern detector.

Intern Verification Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ambarella.

Interview

Email my resume online and got an phone interview after several weeks

ASIC Verification Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ambarella (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Received an interview call 2 weeks later.
    I was informed that the position requires knowledge of computer architecture, digital design and C/C++. I was asked 1 question in each topic. 1 question on cache associativity, 1 question to design a circuit which outputs a pulse when an input flips, 1 question each on virtual functions and recursive functions (Factorial series).
    I was informed there would be a follow-up interview, but I was given the offer without the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Design a circuit which outputs a pulse when the input flips. The input is synchronous to a clock.   1 Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.