American Civil Liberties Union Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Civil Liberties Union Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

2.8

Law Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in March 2017.

Interview

I was asked typical questions like why did I apply, what experience do I have, how much time have I spent writing and researching where I am now. The interviewer was very nice, they told me I had some great answers.

Interview Questions

• What are some cases you learned in constitutional law that interested you, whether you agreed with the outcome or not?   Answer Question

Communications and Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union (Providence, RI) in October 2016.

Interview

A board member contacted me by email and set up a phone conference, for a half hour pre-screening. We chatted about my background and credentials and found some commonality in the people I knew and lawyers who worked pro bono for the ACLU. One week later, I was called in for a meeting in office with one staff member and same board member. After this, I declined to go further in the process as I had a good offer from another company that I was more interested in at that moment.

Interview Questions

• Your membership cultivation experience? Most important issue that ACLU covers in its charter? Interesting past cases? Issue you are most passionate about?   Answer Question

Lobbyist Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in July 2016.

Interview

Was contacted and offered an interview after I applied online a month earlier. Sat for interview, which was scheduled three weeks from email. Was left waiting in interview room for one hour before speaking to interviewers. Questions had been written by former assistant, but he was not at the interview. Organization did not contact me, despite saying they would, when the position was filled.

Interview Questions

• A time you had two deadlines at the same time. What did you do?   1 Answer

Outreach Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union.

Interview

Applied for the job using online platform. Uploaded cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample. Received a phone call an for interview a few days later. The interview was scheduled for the next week. Interview was done via Skype and lasted approximately 40mins. Received a response 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the ACLU? Is there an ACLU position that you disagree with?   Answer Question

Litigation File Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was to the point. Both interviews were held over skype. The first was with the person currently holding the position. The second and final interview was a group interview (supervising attorney, legal assistant, and current litigation file clerk).

Don't expect to receive a follow-up on the position--not even a courtesy e-mail that you weren't selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical Question: Let's say you have a backlog on your job duties (opening files, updating the law library, etc.) and you find out an attorney needs assistance on a case that you're really interested in working on. You don't have any overtime and attorneys have been asking you about the files and library updates. What would you do?   Answer Question

Communications Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Only made it to the phone interview. Very transparent process. Interviewed by executive director who explained that it would be a short call - 15 to 20 minutes and that he was doing similar calls with the other candidates. He said the length of the call was not a reflection of their interest. He also said he wouldn't be talking to me if he wasn't considering me as a potential candidate. At the close of the conversation, he gave me a time frame of when he would get back to me on my application. It was the most transparent interview I've ever had. I appreciated the honesty.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union.

Interview

One phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes. Super laid back but relevant questions were asked with the focus being on public service and policy. It was almost more of a back and forth conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What type of relevant policy experience or knowledge do you have that would contribute positively to the ACLU's mission?   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in August 2015.

Interview

It was really good, the interviewer was nice and kind of informal. Interviewer first eased me in by asking some typical interview questions (why ACLU, why this position, etc), and then asked a few things off my resume. Later, the interviewer asked some tough questions but was kind in the face of my mistakes.

Lobbyist Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union (Washington, DC) in July 2015.

Interview

They contacted me less than 24 hours after I sent in my materials and had the interview scheduled within the week. The woman who interviewed me was very sweet and we talked for about a half an hour with her mostly just asking me questions about my past work experience and my interest in working for the ACLU.

Interview Questions

• Which issues that the ACLU works on do you feel most passionately about?   1 Answer

Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was a phone interview with the direct supervisor and then an in-person interview with aforementioned supervisor and the Development Director. Pretty typical for an entry-level position like this. There were 2 positions available, one with Individual Giving and one for Major Gifts. They told me I was a better for the Individual Giving position. They were very quick to respond and schedule the next step, and communicative throughout the whole process. Took about a week to hear a final response.