American Library Assoc. Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at American Library Assoc.

Positive64%
Negative14%
Neutral21%
Applied online85%
Recruiter8%
Staffing Agency8%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Library Assoc.

Found 14 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (United States)

Interview

The interviewing process took over a month with an all day panel interview. The longest wait was to get a response once the interview was completed, which was over three weeks. I had to proactively ask for the final decision due to another offer. The manager never gave any feedback regarding the interview.

Interview Questions
  • Why do you want to work here?
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Chicago, IL) in Feb 2017

Interview

I met with Mary Pullen, head of HR first. She asked me some basic questions about my knowledge of the company and filled me in more on the position. Then I met with some of the staff who I would be potentially working with (this was a round-table interview, meaning I met with several people at once).

Interview Questions
  • If we were to talk to people at your current job, what is one thing they would tell you start doing, one thing they would tell you to stop doing, and one thing they would tell you to keep doing?
Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Chicago, IL) in Feb 2016

Interview

I interviewed with two people on the phone, and then in person. I was asked about why i would like to work there, what are my future plans. I was also asked to analyze a dataset to test my skills for the job

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Employee in United States
Application

I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (United States)

Interview

I have one in person interview and then I received the call that I was hired. It was a fairly painless process. The hiring process was easy going as well.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Chicago, IL) in Aug 2015

Interview

It was an extremely long hiring process! Newish HR director was dismissive during the protracted process and asked dated and negative questions during the interview such as "tell me a professional situation that you failed". He asked this question three times in slightly different ways and summarized my answers in an inaccurate way. Felt like other interviewers asked appropriate questions but the HR director seemed to be posturing for the senior managers. Lunch was provided which was very nice, but my lunch date wasn't engaged at all and didn't ask me a single question. The office is tired and needs a make over and the people are somewhat low energy which is why I didn't accept their offer. This could be because the library market is in the doldrums.

Interview Questions
  • Why shouldn't we hire you? Talk about your failures in your professional life.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Chicago, IL) in May 2015

Interview

Face to face interview. Lasted about 30-45 minutes - was told mine was longer than usual because we were hitting it off. Professional but not stressful. Mainly questions about why you want to work for the organization, your experience being applied to the position, etc. Seems like a great place to work if you care about learning, education, etc.

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (United States) in May 2015

Interview

I was called by a "consultant" who set up a time with me for a phone interview. The consultant asked me a series of questions. I didn't feel like the consultant had a lot of personality. He finished the interview by saying I was one of the top candidates and I should hear back about an in-person interview in the next couple of weeks. Over a month later, I got the famous "we went with another candidate" email.

Interview Questions
  • Typical questions like: Have you ever worked with a difficult person? What's your plans for recruitment/retention? What do you know about ALA and the library world? What's your management style? What's your weaknesses and plans for professional development? (seemed to be an awful lot of emphasis on this)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, CT
Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Middletown, CT) in Apr 2015

Interview

Phone interview/discussion of organization and mission; sent samples of work; went to office for in person interview: met with all major people, had informal lunch with head of company. Choice does book reviewing, so you can get a sense their business model needs help...as most people get reviews for books through Amazon, even librarians. So, they are interested in rebranding/redefining. It seems they were unsure how to go about this, so the interview probed how I would approach that. They mentioned hiring contract project managers in the past..and as they just have 1 IT person, no web person, I think a dedicated web developer was a new concept.

Interview Questions
  • How would you approach planning for a new system?
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Chicago, IL) in Mar 2015

Interview

Called by HR and asked to fill out and bring an employment application to my interview. Met with an HR director and the Executive Director of the PLA. The whole session took about 90 minutes. It was almost 6 weeks after I submitted my application that I got called for an interview. The next step would have been to meet with the entire PLA team, but a week after my interview, I received a firm job offer and withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Questions
  • Have you ever worked with a difficult person? Have you ever had to take on work that was outside your area of responsibility?
Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Library Assoc. (Chicago, IL) in Jan 2015

Interview

talked to membership specialist and a membership assistance. Just go through my resume, question is simply and people there is very nice and friendly. The work there is light and I really enjoy the work environment there

Interview Questions
Share on TwitterShare on WhatsAppShare via Email
Viewing 1 - 10 of 14