American Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Media Interview Questions

Interviews at American Media

2.0

Assistant Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Media.

Interview

After applying via Mediabistro, I was asked to complete an edit test. I then was called in for an interview at the office where I met with three editors. Then had to do a background check and give references. Within two weeks I got an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Where would you like to be in 10 years?
      Where do you look for entertainment news?
      What parts of your past jobs or internships did you like the most?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Media (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Asked standard questions. I got a phone call to come in for a interview. It was pretty casual. I meet a few people but only had to interview with my direct supervisor.

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Media.

Interview

Got an interview through a friend. Pretty standard, asked why I wanted to work there, what my strengths and weaknesses were and what I could offer. Mostly asked about myself and my experience before applying here.

After the first 1 on 1 interview I was brought in to interview with the 4 sales reps I would be supporting. It took a week or so after that to finalize and offer me the job.

Interview Questions

• To what extent do you feel that you can relate to the magazine?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Managing Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Media (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interviewer seemed nice but was a bit manic and obviously not experienced at interviewing people. She told me all about the job and also digressed quite a bit and had to bring herself back to the subject at hand. She told me the company benefits were great but didn't have specific info to offer. She spoke about 90% of the time and didn't ask too many questions about me or my experience; she seemed more interested in letting me know what I should expect of the position as opposed to determining if I was the right person for the job. I don't feel that she gathered enough information from me to make that decision.

She also told me I could email her with any additional questions after the interview, which I did, but I never got a response.

Interview Questions

• Is this a position you would be interested in?   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Media in December 2018.

Interview

After applying online, I was called into their offices for an in-person interview regarding the company's plan to add SIP issues. The interviewer was professional and stayed very much on topic without any questions about my future career plans. I took an editing test, but was later informed that their was no longer any funding to add positions.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with the subject matter that will be part of our issues?   1 Answer

Senior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Media in March 2014.

Interview

Responded to job post and was contacted the next day for an interview. The extremely informal interview lasted maybe 10 minutes and consisted of the interviewer (who would also be my supervisor) telling me what the job would consist of. There was none of the typical "evaluation" questions (i.e. what are your strengths, weaknesses, etc). I was sent files for a design test the next day, which I completed and sent back that night. I had an offer the following day. So in all it took about a week.

Interview Questions

• The job posting I responded to didn't mention it was a freelance-with-possibility-to-be-fulltime so I wasn't expecting a question about what hourly pay rate I'd be looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I felt the offer didn't match up with my experience or the job duties so I presented my argument to my supervisor when I was handed my offer letter. I was told to speak to his supervisor, which I did (that was our first conversation...not ideal). This second person told me to speak to HR (which you would have thought would have been where this all would have started..). The HR person told me he was a "freelance management consultant" and that he'd need to talk to the HR person in Florida and get back to me. 3 days and no response (positive or negative) later, I reached out to the FL contact myself (the offer letter was sitting unsigned at this point and my supervisors needed an answer). Finally, after being passed from person to person and given a disappointing insight into how this company handles new hires, I was asked to sit in on a conference call with the second supervisor and the FL HR rep. That call lasted all of 3 minutes where I was told the salary wouldn't move and they "just need a yes or no at this point" on whether I wanted the job.

Senior Editor Interview

Interview

I arrived and found myself having to interview with three people at the same time. It was a pretty basic interview and I thought it went well. On my way out they handed me a magazine of their publication.

Well, I never did hear from them again, even after a thank you email and a couple of emails afterwards. A little unprofessional if you asks me.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would do different for our publication?   Answer Question

Features Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at American Media (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

I worked freelance for a week before getting hired fulltime and I had to make sure to tell them I was interested in fulltime. I had a short chat with the editor in chief and he didn't even want to see my portfolio. All in all, quick and easy.

Interview Questions

• Do you thrive under pressure?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. I was told the salary they were offering was it and I had to accept it.

Web Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Media.

Interview

The interview process ran smoothly. One week after submitting my resume, they called me for an interview. The interview only took 10-15 minutes max and was with two top editors. After about a 1 1/2 weeks, one of the editors that interviewed me called and asked me to fill out some background check documents and send them back as soon as possible. I did them the same day and a couple of days later, I got the job offer.

EA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Media (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

My headhunter submitted my resume, they wanted to meet me first thing the next day. They had me return two other times meeting with various senior execs. I spent hours traveling and interviewing. They never communited that I didn't get the job to me or my headhunter. Rude to waste that much of my time and not even tell me "thanks but no".

Interview Questions

• Can you deal with a crazy CEO in a sinking ship business?   Answer Question