American Medical Association Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 15, 2017

3.1

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Had phone interview with HR then a day or two later I was contacted to do a second phone screen with the hiring manager. I had the phone screen with the hiring manager and was asked to come for a face to face interview with the hiring manager and the team. I came in for a face to face interview with the team and the VP. Overall interview was average.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

HR conducted a brief phone screen and then sent an email regarding an in-person interview. Overall HR did an excellent job with follow-up and scheduling as well as explaining the functions of the AMA. From there, the experience turned completely unprofessional. The interview was scheduled for five hours with peers and the hiring manager; bathroom breaks and water were not offered and the motion sensor lights kept going off in the room. One peer interviewee essentially walked out of the interview when I asked how the two roles, which work closely together, collaborate on strategy development. She was incredibly rude and condescending, a telling sign of management culture. I was invited for a second round interview. The SVP kept reiterating needing a candidate who could navigate red tape and bureaucracy, again another red flag about the organization's culture. Overall this department seems lost in its purpose and direction. I was never contacted by HR regarding the status of my application.

Interview Questions

• Each asked me to walk through my professional background   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Phone screening with HR 2 weeks after submitting resume/application through their website (vague voicemail left at EOD asked to call back re: position, with no indication of what to expect). Screening took 5 minutes (again, at end of day): very brief walk-through of experience, why are you a good fit, current salary. When pushed back re: disclosing salary, was told that HR couldn't provide a range until I provided my current salary. Despite frustration with the situation, I disclosed my current salary and was told the starting point for the role's salary range (not given high end). HR told me my desired range suggests I might not be interested in the position, and when I pushed back with flexibility depending on role, HR wrote down a lower range than I previously stated (HR basically negotiated my desired range with me?). Was told they would want to bring me in for an interview, and received email that week requesting in-person interview (given 2 time slots over 2 days to choose from, both about 1wk out from invitation). Also requested three individual writing samples 1-2 days before the interview to review "before the interview," which seemed abrupt and slightly disorganized. Luckily, I had some available, or I'd be left scrambling at the last minute.

First interview involved same HR rep and hiring manager (separately). HR "interview" basically involved walking through company facts/info, given benefits overview, and asked a few "warm-up questions" that I was told would not be used in decision (but I'm sure they were...) Felt very strange. Was led to second part with hiring manager. Very nice, normal interview questions, good rapport, open with questions about company/role. Received an invitation for 2nd interview (same 2 slots/days option). Second interview did not involve HR. Met only with hiring manager (second time, separately from others), and two higher-ups (together). Again, everyone was incredibly nice. Asked normal, thoughtful questions, probed for more details re: certain situations/experiences, and was told they'd be making a decision within the week.

I followed up with the hiring manager after two weeks, and received no reply. I followed up with HR two weeks after that, and received a rejection within the hour. Frustrating to think that they could have informed me earlier of their decision, or that I might have just never heard back regarding a decision (when I was a finalist). Felt unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you have two projects that are must-complete, with only enough time to complete one?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with difficult people/situations of conflict?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Medical Association.

Interview

The hiring process meets up to the hype. The interviews were difficult and thorough. Questions probed technical competency, project management experience & textbook knowledge, General Business Operations.

Depending on the interviewer, you may be asked vague hypotheticals. If this happens to you, create a story around the hypothetical and explain the process you would follow to solve it. They are looking to see how you problem solve so be thorough in explaining your process. Also be aware the hypothetical may be based on actually problems and tasks you will be required to complete if they give you the position.

Interview Questions

• Save money, Make money, Improve Customer Experience, Which would you make first priority... Second and Third Priority? ... Why?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview took about three hours. First with HR, it was just about the general information about me, working authority, working hours, etc. Then, I talked with a young team member of the data team, and he just walked through my resume in general. The last interview was with the team leader. That was a deep one on my resume. For I never took an interview in that long time, I didn't perform well in the third one.

Interview Questions

• Talk about my previous project with SAS and Google, and what result I got from the work.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was over all a horrible experience, and it should have been a clue to me that it would not be a good company to work for, but I needed the job at the time, So I took it. It took months to get through the whole process, not including the first month, when, after replying they were interested to my resume, hey told me they chose others to interview, and were not longer interested in me, and then a month later called back and told me they were interested. Hiring managers took days and weeks to get back to continue each next step in processs. HR seem useless and gave wrong information. But again, when you need a job, you unfortunately try and ignore most of the negative stuff.

Negotiation

Took Months

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Applied on the AMA website, got a call within 2 weeks. Two rounds of phone interviews, and then was called into the Chicago office. Interviewed with 7 employees in 5 hours, ranging from a policy analyst to an implementation director. Relatively easy questions, no pressure atmosphere.

Marketing Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Interview at HQ in Chicago. Three 30 minute sessions with three different people. Mostly behavioral and background questions - how do you work with people in a team, tell us about your previous experiences, what are you looking for in an internship, what do you think the AMA does, walk me through how you'd approach a challenge.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview was a one and done; The process took about a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase was the standard process.

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Medical Association (Chicago, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied through my university's career services website and received an interview four months later. The interview was behavioral and was conducted by two members of the Business Operations team. They asked mostly about my work/extracurricular experience, my majors/school, whether I had experience with financial analysis before, and my technical skills.