American University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

2.7

Assistant Director of Recruitment and Advising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online with an employee referral. I had a phone interview a couple of days later. I was then invited to submit a writing sample. When I didn't hear back about the writing sample by the Friday deadline, I emailed the point of contact who then invited me to an in-person interview for Monday morning (short notice). I interviewed with different teams and people for 4 hours and found out later that week they were going with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deliver news about a bad decision someone else made.   Answer Question
    • Would you be able to work with entitled students who disrespect you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked with a person who had a different personality than you.   Answer Question
    • Can you work with people from diverse backgrounds?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want this job?   Answer Question
    • What kind of supervisory style do you prefer in a boss?   Answer Question

Desk Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in April 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter, and references via email, and then signed up for an in-person interview. They asked several structured questions (below) and then clarified specific logistical issues like scheduling concerns.

Interview Questions

• Asked for examples of how I'd handled situations in the past - for example, how I'd handled customers who seemed unreasonable, or balancing priorities.   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American University in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online for a Part-Time Communications opening. Received an email a few days later to set up a phone interview. The interview went really well, interviewer spoke of next steps and it sounded very promising. Was even told a second, in-person interview would be arranged soon. Then, never heard back. I sent a thank you email within 24 hours. That, and later follow-up attempts, received no response. Even though the position was part-time to start, I was grateful for the opportunity to join AU. Needless to say, I am very disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Are you OK with working part-time to start?   1 Answer

Agricultural Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC).

Interview

one in person interview with three people, lasted one hour,a variety of substantive and skills based questions were asked. It was not a stress interview. One problem, though, was that I did not meet my future supervisor at the interview because she was on maternity leave.

Interview Questions

• What is agricultural marketing?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

you need to talk to the professor and arrange an appointment with him. The process is not very hard but you need to knew your professor well and also do well in his class.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on the American University website, filling out an extensive application and submitting my resume and cover letter. I was contacted via email by a HR recruiter and we arranged a time for a phone interview. Phone interview took about thirty minutes, and she told me she would be in touch within a couple of days to let me know if I was moving forward to an in-person interview. She called and asked me to come in for an interview the following Tuesday and informed me that the department was conducting all interviews for this position that day, since they were trying to make an offer to someone before the Christmas break. I went to the interview on campus and spoke with a panel of five people - the department chair, 3 tenured faculty members, and a personnel manager. Two days later, the recruiter emailed me asking for references and asking that I let my references know to please answer her emailed questions as quickly as possible. Three minutes after my last reference texted me that she had sent in the email, the department chair called to make me an offer, which I accepted (did not negotiate).

Interview Questions

• How do you handle prioritizing tasks and completing work in a timely manner when multiple people need you at once?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think we should hire you for this position?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty easy. Started with a phone interview and then a little over a week later, an on campus interview was conducted. It consisted of a campus tour, lunch and individual meetings with 5 members of the senior staff. They asked normal interview questions and it wasn't awkward or intimidating at all.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experiences and why do want this job.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American University.

Interview

The interview was via Skype. I did not get a follow-up response to my interview. I had to reach out via email to get the acknowledgement that I was not considered for an on campus interview. It would have been nice for them to send something out to the interviewee on their status.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American University (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Thorough process with friendly folks. I liked everyone I met during the interview process. The pay, however, is very low at AU. They could keep people longer at their positions if they had higher salaries. Invest in people!

Adjunct Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American University (Silver Spring, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I met with former professor and director of the Master's program in two separate meetings. Their goal was to review my knowledge base as well as ideas for the course. Questions illustrated concern for commitment to the time required to the course (6 weeks on Saturdays from 9am-5pm), and quality of content. I tried to convey my passion, not only for the material but for education and the college experience overall.

Interview Questions

• How would you structure the 8 hour class day? What ideas do you have to update the course content? What issues do you see in the industry that students should be made aware of?   1 Answer