Apartment List Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apartment List Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Normal process. Phone interview with HR then a technical call and github challenge assessment prior to onsite. went to the office to meet with team, very nice office and met with engineering and also product person. did not get any greeting or anything like that from hr, would have liked a tour, the office looks very nice. when i walked out i was left in room and eventually just left because i was unsure what to do and waited one hour there. Also I spent much time on the technical challenge. Did not get any answers on outcome from HR until I asked multiple times and then got standard email and no response to the follow up questions I asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I had a pretty bad interview experience with these guys. Their recruiter claimed that the coding challenge should take only 4 hours max. With design documentation and tests, it took way longer than that. During the pair-programming round, it was very obvious that the interviewer had not event looked at my implementation.

My recommendation is that: you should only move forward with their interview process if you REALLY want to work with these guys.

Finally, I'd also check out their rating trend & distribution before you get too excited about their average rating. It'd be pretty obvious how they got that high rating.

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge that requires test and design document. Interviewer was unprepared to review the code. Great.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview process was thorough but not over-the-top difficult or exhaustive. Also, it gave me enough chance to meet a lot of different employees and have all my questions answered.

Interview Questions

• When tackling a particular software problem, do I approach it by gut or by thorough analysis and research?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

After a short chat with the recruiter, I was given a take-home coding challenge. This is the same one that is given to everyone, it's pretty open ended and you can implement it however you like as long as you fulfill the basic requirements.

After submitting, I had a 1-hr remote interview that consisted of a code review and an extension of that project. The engineer was well-versed in the technologies that I used, and had taken some time to look through my work, so our conversation was smooth and we were able to pair-program the correct way.

Afterwards I was asked to come in for an onsite interview. This consisted of 5 interviews spanning around 4.5 hours: one whiteboard problem solving, one behavioral with an engineering director, one whiteboarding system design, one behavioral with a product manager, and one pair-programming to further extend the original coding challenge. All of my interviews were difficult, yet fair, and my interviewers were well-prepared and engaging.

A few days later I received an email from the recruiter asking for feedback, and shortly afterwards called me with a verbal offer. I was asked to come in once more to meet with the CEO, who gave me the official offer after a discussion about my background and interest in the company.

Overall, the process, while difficult and tiring, was tremendously positive. The company clearly places strong emphasis on hiring people that are not just strong engineers, but also strong cultural fits, and it shows. It was great to see a diverse group of engineers that have been at the company for several years and that are genuinely excited about their work. I also have to note that their internal recruiters were incredibly responsive and thoroughly helpful throughout the process, which definitely stood out to me relative to others I've worked with on my job hunt.

Interview Questions

• Somewhat unconventional whiteboard problem, not exactly something that you'd see on LeetCode/HR but that type of prep worked pretty well for me.   Answer Question
    • Straightforward architecture design session on a whiteboard.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apartment List.

Interview

An initial phone screen, followed by a code challenge where they ask you to create a Rails app that creates groups for lunch time. Kinda worded awkwardly. After you submit it, they ask you to tweak it to account for uniqueness. I didn't get past this round. They give you some time to complete this take home challenge. Seems pretty straight forward, but don't expect them to actually check the challenge beforehand. Disappointing to expect your candidate to spend time on the challenge when the interviewers don't even bother to examine the challenge before the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

ApartmentList reached out to me in December 2016, and the interview process was ridiculously time consuming for a company of this size (51 - 200). The first step was a 1 hour phone interview with an engineering manager. I expected this to include some technical questions, but it was purely behavioral technical questions, no actual problem solving. During this stage, the interviewer asked me how my previous managers would rate me on a scale of 1-10 - I found these questions incredibly strange considering they could have just asked for references to speak directly with my former managers.

The next stage was a 4 hour in-person interview. The first hour was spent with an interviewer who proceeded to go through my entire resume, going all the way back to college and grill me on every single job I've had. I graduated from college 8 years ago and have excellent experience working for several companies, so I found this insulting. He was also very adamant about needing to know my college GPA, which is completely irrelevant. The next interviewer wanted to test my front-end coding skills, so he asked me to rate myself on a scale of 1-10 in CSS and JS (anytime an interviewer asks me to rate myself on a scale of 1-10, I take it as a red flag) as well as to build the homepage of their website from scratch in 20 minutes using whatever tools I wanted to. I found this to be way to open-ended of an assignment, and felt like someone was just watching over my shoulder as I coded, not like the interviewer was trying to help me. I then had 3 more 45 minute sessions with 2 interviewers in each one. This was frustrating, as no one in the company had told me that I would be meeting 8 people during my on-site interview with 3 2-on-1 interviews, so I was very caught off guard. The next interviewers asked me a whiteboarding algorithm question and some questions about front-end frameworks. I then met with a designer and product manager - they asked me to describe a project I had worked on that was a failure along with several other design/product related questions. Then, my final interview was with another front-end engineer and a back-end engineer where I solved more whiteboarding problems.

Despite the fact that they told me I had performed incredibly well in the on-site interview, they got back to me and asked me to complete a take-home coding challenge because they wanted to "get a better sense of my coding skills." (If you can't get a sense of a candidate's coding skills in a 4 hour on-site interview, then you are clearly doing something wrong.) They asked me to build a connect four game. I completed that, and after another call with one of the interviewers, they wanted me to come on-site again to meet with the founders. At this point, I decided to withdraw myself from the interview process because I felt that it was not a good fit for me based on my interview experience and I didn't want them to take up any more of my time. I also had another offer pending.

Overall, I found the culture at ApartmentList to be very strange, and their interview process was incredibly lengthly for a company of their size. I would not recommend interviewing here, and after reading other employee Glassdoor reviews, it sounds like this is a company to be avoided.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an autocomplete component?   Answer Question
    • How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 in CSS?   Answer Question
    • How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 in JS?   Answer Question
    • What are some apps you like from a design and product perspective and why?   Answer Question
    • If you went to the homepage of ApartmentList and it was loading very slowly, what would you do to debug it?   Answer Question
    • Describe how React works.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied on line and got a call back within a week. Did a 30 minute phone screen covering my work history as well as my technical ability (including a simple algorithm and questions about SQL). Spent a day on a take-home challenge, then did a 1:1 pair programming challenge over Google Hangout with one of the engineering managers. Next was a half day on-site in San Francisco. I met with ~8 different people from the product and engineering teams. I did some white boarding, but also answered questions about the future of the product as a whole. The last interview was a half hour chat with the CEO. I got a callback with the job offer an hour after leaving the office.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite thing about the current product? What is your least favorite thing? What would you change?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was extremely quick. From the day I heard about Apartment List to the day I signed my offer (which was personally communicated directly by the CFO and Controller), was only 6 days in total. I had 1 over-the-phone interview with the Controller, followed by 3 in-house back to back interviews with the Operations Manager, Controller, and CEO. The next day I received my offer.

SEO Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apartment List (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process overall was straight forward and very professional starting with the first content from HR then the phone calls, the overall process planning and in person interviews on location and ending with the final calls and step by step feedback during the entire process.

Account Director Interview

Interview

1) Phone interview with recruiter
    2) Phone interview with sales manager
    3) Phone interview with CSO
    4) Phone interview with Account Director
    5) Flown to a city with a current account director to shadow for a day

Nothing out of the ordinary. The recruiter was fantastic. I really enjoyed speaking with everyone at the company and thought they were great. It was disappointing to not get an offer after having such positive feedback every step of the way.

The recruiter gave some feedback relayed to her but it didn't really make sense so she said to follow up and ask the sales manager and rep that I shadowed for a day (Note I never met the sales manager, only person I met in person was an account director).The reasons given didn't really hold up and when I asked for more feedback the manager responded with "I don't really have any feedback but we have decided to go in another direction". This was disappointing since it seems the decision was based off a shadow day with another rep that seemed to go well. Take note that a rep that performs the same job you are interviewing for seems to have a lot of power regarding if you move on or not so the shadow day is VERY important. I have a pretty good idea it was not so much my qualifications as they lined up well with the position I was interviewing for. I think they are looking for a certain physical type and age but of course they can't give that feedback but definitely the impression I got.

I think this will be a fantastic company to work for with a lot of opportunity. You just have to be a certain type.