Applied Research Associates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Applied Research Associates

2.4

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niceville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Niceville, FL).

Interview

I filled out an online application and was contacted about a month later by phone. The phone interview was short and not very technical, just asking about my background and education. There was mention of a Skype interview, but I didn't get any specifics about it for another week. The Skype interview was set up, and it included me, the person from the phone interview, and one other person on the team. It was a more technical interview, but not too bad. They asked some of the cliche interview questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years and what's your biggest strength and weakness. Also what's one book that I've read in the past year that I enjoyed.

About a week later, they contacted me about having a face-to-face interview. They paid for my travel and meals and had me into the office. I spoke to another software engineer, a couple of team leads, and the division head. While there, I was asked to take a programming test on paper that wasn't too in depth, but it was challenging without a compiler or reference. The people were all very friendly and not intense. The interview was pretty low-stress. During the interview, some projects were discussed, as well as benefits for the position.

I received an offer for the position the following week.

Interview Questions

• Since they sometimes develop weapons, they asked if I had any problem working on systems that might be used to kill people.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had previously mentioned the salary range I was aiming for, and the initial offer was as the low end of that range. I asked for the high end, and we met in the middle. I have a feeling I could have been a bit more demanding.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niceville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Niceville, FL) in May 2014.

Interview

It was barely an interview. They had pretty much already decided they wanted to hire me based on my resume. The "interview" was mostly pitching me to join the team. I spoke with the hiring manager first and then had one-on-one interviews with several of the team members. I then returned to the original hiring manager where he essentially told me I got the job. I received an offer letter a week later.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vicksburg, MS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Vicksburg, MS) in March 2009.

Interview

They compensated me for way more than it cost for me to drive out to do the interview and had a schedule for me that encompassed a period of about 5-6 hours, including lunch, and an individual assigned to me for the day to see me from place to place. You are taken to every person in management (six people in my case) and do an interview with them. They were very informal interviews where they asked some questions on education and work experience, but talked a lot about random things as well. The reason for this is they are trying to judge you as a person rather than as a list of credentials. They take a great interest in the person that they are hiring and how they think they will function in the work environment there. Your credentials matter, obviously, but aren't weighted as heavily as a lot of places. Sat down with several people that were in the group I would be working with and they went around asking me questions about experience, education, interests, likes/dislikes, etc.... Was taken to lunch and given a tour around the town (wasn't much as the group manager joked) and then brought back and had a meeting of sorts where they went over the benefits, medical coverage, bonus, paid leave, etc.... Had another interview with the group manager for the software group and then thanked for coming and left. Took about 4-6 weeks before I heard back from them with an offer.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates.

Interview

One or two phone interviews initially
    In-house interview, starting with twenty minute presentation of your choosing to staff in your area
    Next, several one-on-one sessions with staff, most of who were in the presentation
    They may or may not take you out to lunch
    If they are interested, the interview will end with someone going over the benefits and such, rather than specifics related to the position.

Interview Questions

• None were very difficult or tricky. A lot of clarifications on what you did in relation to your presentation   Answer Question

Simulation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates.

Interview

The interview was two stages. First stage was a 30 minute phone call with some engineers, answering some technical questions. Second was an on-site interview which consisted of several interviews with different groups of engineers. The atmosphere was friendly, but questions were moderately difficult.

C++ Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Raleigh, NC) in December 2013.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a college job fair and passed her my resume. I received a call 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed with no technical questions. They simply asked me to tell them about my programming experience.

Interview Questions

• They asked no difficult questions. The interviewer just asked me to talk about my programming classes and any projects I had worked on.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hampton, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Hampton, VA) in December 2018.

Interview

When you apply, they send an email with a link to a website where you will be presented with three problems to solve. Each progressively harder than the previous. If you’re not up to speed on the complex/tricky algorithms, you will find them difficult to solve. Second is a one on one phone interview with another engineer. The Engineer asks moderately difficult questions. The third stage is the face to face interview. You’ll have to prepare a PowerPoint presentation on a previous project. You’ll have to whiteboard solutions to some problems that they present. This part of the interview was challenging. I was not prepared for the whiteboard session, which is why I probably wasn’t extended an offer. They seem like a pretty good company and the people are nice. I felt like I did pretty good on explaining the concepts of software engineering, use of middleware solutions, and DevOps. My weakest area was solving the whiteboard problems. Typically, when presented with those types of problems, one would rely on Google and other resources to come up with a solution. Unfortunately, that isn’t an option during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Write in pseudo code the algorithm for determining a Fibonacci sequence.   1 Answer

Technical Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Met with 7 individuals during interview process. An HR representative, 4 developers and 2 managers.

HR Rep went over benefits and company culture.
    First 2 developers went asked personality related questions.
    Second 2 developers asked technical questions (req. some whiteboard coding)
    Lastly, 2 managers asked career outlook/motivation questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a software developer and what drives you?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates.

Interview

One half-day interview with multiple group leaders and managers. Was asked to give a presentation based on previous work experience. Very few technical questions other than "what computer languages do you know".

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that were asked that were difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, was able to easily negotiate ~10% above initial offer by providing them with a counter-offer.

Junior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Research Associates (Albuquerque, NM).

Interview

Two phone interviews with team and department lead followed by in person. Phone interviews discussed resume and career objectives. In person interview consisted of a group interview, team lunch, and individual interviews with modeling team (which I was applying to be a part of) and upper management.

Interview Questions

• What specific projects drew you to this company?   1 Answer