Arabella Advisors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arabella Advisors Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Interview

The process starts with a brief conversation with HR. If you pass this initial conversation, you will be asked to complete a very time consuming (in my experience) exercise tailored to the practice area you have applied to along with a written test. One portion of the written test is not timed while the other portion is a timed aptitude test with general knowledge and math questions. I had a pretty negative experience because after devoting a substantial amount of time to the hiring process, I never heard back regarding whether I had moved onto the next round even after I sent a follow up email. I think this is pretty poor form and unprofessional, so want to make sure others who are considering this company are aware. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the courtesy of a reply after devoting significant time to the hiring process. After asking around, I found out that my experience is not unique.

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Washington, DC).

Interview

Honestly I think their interview process is an overkill. It is so time consuming and honestly seemed like a waste of time. Especially the excel test (change font size - really?). At most a non-profit accounting test would have been sufficient. Everything else seemed just a waste. Some of the questions of the Achiever test were basic +/- math question (9+7= ) and another one was who is Russia's president? (putin, obama, Markel, nobody). LIKE OMG REALLY!!! Then came the job interview. 2 interviews, each with 2 accounting managers. Which is also stupid since you have to repeat the same crap twice to different people. Why not make it 1 two hour interview so you don't have to repeat yourself? Be prepared to give example and explain every damn line item on your resume. They will question you on EVERYTHING in your resume.
    1) Phone Interview
    2) Accounting/Excel/Memo test
    3) Achiever II test
    4) Panel Interview

This was my personal opinion right before everything. This is not worth the hassle especially since their salaries are mediocre for the amount of experience and certifications they require.

Interview Questions

• Describe Accrual vs Cash accounting.
      Excel test was fairly easy and not timed. The non-profit accounting test (20 questions) was also not timed. The Achiever II (more like retarded II) test was timed but you cant prepare for it. Just take it.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Washington, DC).

Interview

Recommended by someone I knew so I applied through a link they sent me. There was an online application then a few tests (Excel and personality) after a phone interview. Two in-person interviews in one day, one with a manager and one with an HR and employee in the role I was applying. for

Interview Questions

• Questions on my experience with the administrative side of non-profits   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by phone. Standard and behavioral questions. The recruited explained the hiring process, it is about 3 months long. Completed on line exams, about 3 hours. Completed a presentation based on an issue they were currently experiencing. Received a "No thank you" e-mail.

Accounting Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied on Craigslist and received a call from its recruiter from Chicago for a phone interview. I applied for a position in DC. The first interview was a phone interview and it was more of tell us about yourself and behaviuoral questions. She told me also about the organization and its recruitment processes : a four step process with interviews and writeen question.

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors in November 2016.

Interview

The interviewer canceled on me twice, both at the last minute and one without even sending me an email or letting me know, I just was waiting online, before finally doing a first interview on the third attempt. I progressed to the assessment round, complete a fair number of tests and assignments for the job (long IQ test among others, a good 5-6 hours of work) sent them off by the deadline and then never heard anything back. Honestly, it was just a bit rude, if someone does a fair amount of work the least the company owes is a bit of feedback and common courtesy.

Interview Questions

• They asked if there were any moral obligations that would prevent me from working with a client which was surprising.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I first applied to Arabella in August 2016. After a pleasant phone conversation (typical questions), the hiring manager told me that there was some restructuring and the position would no longer be offered, but that she would reach out if it re-opened in the future. I figured that this was just a formality, but then she actually reached out about a month later and told me that the position was re-opened. I really appreciated that she actually kept me in mind and took the time to reach out again.

The next steps were some very lengthy assessments. They were challenging, but interesting, and included a data assignment, a writing and research task, and a personality test. I was given 48 hours to complete them, and they certainly required a good chunk of uninterrupted time.

I was then invited to an interview with the director of consulting. She was very kind and our conversation lasted about an hour. We talked about my background, the skills necessary for the role, and the assessments. I left the conversation feeling confident, so I was disappointed when I learned the following week that I was not invited to the next step of the process. The HR rep, once again, offered to keep me in mind for future roles.

I left the process disappointed, obviously, but impressed with the professionalism of Arabella's staff. The application process is lengthy, but they repeatedly expressed gratitude to their candidates and seem to genuinely appreciate the people that they speak to.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized and balance short-term and long-term deadlines?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process was extremely convoluted and had 4 separate steps. It took about 3 months.

1) Phone screening interview
    2) Online assessment - consists of personality questions, Excel test, and letter-writing skills
    3) Skype interview
    4) In person interview.

I found the whole interview process to be a bit much, for a smaller (but growing) firm, four steps is overdone. They stressed the importance of fully getting to know you before offering you a position, but I'm not sure how a team member in Chicago was adequately able to assess my qualities/qualifications when I was applying to work on their team in Washington, DC.

The actual interview questions were straightforward, typical of what you would expect for an admin type role. Each interviewer described the position as behind-the-scenes, with little to no exposure to actual clients.

The HR person overseeing the interview process was great at first, very prompt to respond to emails. However, after the final interview she was nonexistent. It took over three weeks after the final interview to finally receive an automated email saying I did not get the position. You would think after putting in so much time and effort they could have the decency to at least give you a two minute call. The way they handled the rejection really spoiled my perception of the company and has definitely dissuaded me from ever considering the organization in the future.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with data management?
      How do you stay organized?
      How do you approach senior level staff if you have any issues?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Brief phone screen with very easy questions...very conversational. Followed by time-intensive case study and personality quiz. Lots of time invested on my end without much effort put into their initial screening. Clear and timely communication about the process though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Arabella Advisors (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview, which lasted about half hour and went very well. The recruiter was warm and friendly, and asked general questions about my interest. Two days later I was invited to move forward and do things: 1) take an online assessment and a series of tests (the latter being a little strange) and 2) prepare an excel-based exercise as well as a written exercise. After I took the tests and did the exercises (which you have 48 hrs to do), I was contacted to come for an in-person interview. I was very prepared and had practiced all the standard interview questions, which indeed were asked.

The Senior Director who interviewed me (who was new at the company) seemed disinterested in speaking with me from the start, which was disappointing. She asked me a lot of questions, writing my responses down in silence, but did not ask follow-up questions or make the interview conversational at all. She was mostly blank-faced; I could not read her at all other than feeling she was tired and stressed out. After an hour the interview was over and I left feeling as though I was invited only as a formality and they already had somebody else chosen for the position.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a little about yourself", why I wanted to work for Arabella, how did the position fit in with my career trajectory, etc.   Answer Question