Argonne National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

Assistant Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

It was thorough, but the environment was very comfortable. They asked very relevant questions that pertained to the job, but I was well qualified which made the questions easy to answer.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Darien, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Darien, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I talked about my previous roles and they talked about their role at Argonne. There were no questions that stumped me, it was really just a conversation about technologies as I would pull in stories about something I worked on before, making sure it was relevant to what they were looking for. The lead developer and I had a good repore when the interview concluded.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about dynamic css? What do you think about HTML tables?   1 Answer
    • What do you think about HTML tables?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I had one phone interview, which went really well. The interviewers were all well-known scientists, but were very approachable and informal. When asked about my previous research experience, questions were more legitimately curiosity-driven than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What are the safety measures you should take when conducting your work?   Answer Question
    • What do you expect to achieve by working here?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL).

Interview

Interview was with a panel of people.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experiences do you have that might be beneficial for this position?   Answer Question

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through Argonne website as Coop student, after 3 weeks they contacted me for an interview. I got hired on the same day of my interview. Everything took me 1 month.

Interview Questions

• Easy, few question about my background and if I was able to walk all time and lift heavy stuffs such computers and servers.   Answer Question

Senior Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL).

Interview

I met with 3 professionals from the field for this IT position. One was a technician and the other two were system administrators. The interview was very informal and it lasted about 45 minutes. After that time was used, I then met with the IT group leader. I was asked about past work experience and technical abilities. This lasted about 30 minutes. It was a very relaxed and laid back interview experience. There were 300 applicants. Out of the 7 people that interviewed, I got the job.

Interview Questions

• How well do you handle redirection? This is a large facility and sometimes you get pulled in many different directions.

Do you have customer service skills?   Answer Question

Senior Research Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

It started with about a 30 minute phone conversation. Then I was invited to an onsite interview. The process was terribly disorganized and I was informed at the last moment that I needed to arrange all travel. The visit was not what I expected. Of the 3 hours I spent on site, I spent about 1 hour listening to the interviewer given a presentation to his peers. It felt like they were just trying to fit me in the day. No technical questions and several of the interviewers struggled to discuss the role and their experiences.

Interview Questions

• Unfortunately, I don't recall any difficult questions. I normally expect to be challenged during an interview and was amazed that no technical question were asked at any point in the process.   Answer Question

I declined because the principal scientist refused to negotiate salary and went so far as to rant about his own lack of pay.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Travel arrangement organized by HR restricted one day interview time to at best 5 effective hours, with early ORD departure time of ~5:00 pm. HR seemed inflexible, quoting rules, and not in best communication with hiring manager.
    Interview presentation was scheduled at 9:00 am, and only 2 people were present, so group leader delayed my presentation by 2 hours. Even then final 2 interviewers came in the afternoon.
    ANL has great achievements, but please work more on internal communication, organization, and non-effective process.
    After many emails/calls and over 4 months since interview, I am still waiting for decision, and travel reimbursement!

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Darien, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Darien, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

Very tedious. Full day of meetings plus one hour seminar about your research.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They hate negotiation and you barely have a chance to exercise it.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

There were 2 1-hour phone calls, one every week. I was invited to do a seminar on my previous research at the site. I got this opportunity through my PhD advisor who had contacts in the lab.

Interview Questions

• No particular question other than to explain previous research and whether generally familiar with supercomputing topic (which I was as I did an internship in the supercomputing lab).   1 Answer