Argonne National Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Argonne National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Nov 16, 2017

2.5

Interview

It has been a while since my last interview. It happened in 2011. At that time, I got an offer from a PI in Argonne, and I just shortly met the PI.

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL).

Interview

Initial phone screening/interview plus full-day onsite interview requiring a presentation. Understand the position your applying to and the landscape of your division. An administrative assistant should be providing you with a list of people that are interviewing you. You should be familiar with what each person on the list does before you get there. I recommend to go as far as to read the interviewers papers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I had one phone interview, which went really well. The interviewers were all well-known scientists, but were very approachable and informal. When asked about my previous research experience, questions were more legitimately curiosity-driven than anything else.

Interview Questions

• What are the safety measures you should take when conducting your work?   Answer Question
    • What do you expect to achieve by working here?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Travel arrangement organized by HR restricted one day interview time to at best 5 effective hours, with early ORD departure time of ~5:00 pm. HR seemed inflexible, quoting rules, and not in best communication with hiring manager.
    Interview presentation was scheduled at 9:00 am, and only 2 people were present, so group leader delayed my presentation by 2 hours. Even then final 2 interviewers came in the afternoon.
    ANL has great achievements, but please work more on internal communication, organization, and non-effective process.
    After many emails/calls and over 4 months since interview, I am still waiting for decision, and travel reimbursement!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory.

Interview

In person face to face interview - first with supervisor, then with potential colleagues. After meeting with each person individually, I gave a presentation and then fielded questions from the group. The process took all day.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a task or project which I had worked on that was difficult or not completed.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Had a phone chat first (kind of informal), then came on-site, met all the group members including 4 staff and 3 fellow postdocs (each one around half hour) and gave a 1-hour seminar

Interview Questions

• What is your career goal and how this position could help you.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I had a 20 minute Skype interview with the committee that I would be working with as an initial interview. Most of the questions were about my previous research experience. There was nothing too technical and overall it was a relaxing experience. I then got invited to do a seminar on my work a few weeks later. Most of that day was 1-1 conversations with various staff that I'd be working with. Overall, the tone of the in person interview was very informal. I got an offer from HR a week and a half later.

Interview Questions

• What sort of radar retrievals have you done in your work? Have you used version control techniques in your work?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory.

Interview

The interview was done via Skype consisted in a presentation of my previous research and question about my expectation/career goals. Overall interview was good and people were laid back and friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Lemont, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL).

Interview

Give a presentation on previous research, and talk with some of the folks there. Post docs are not high value hires, so there is almost no way you will get turned down.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. They tell you the rate and you can take it or leave it.

Research Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Argonne National Laboratory (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Applying to the position was done internally via school website. Interview process was fast and took only one round. Interview was done in January, although the job wouldn't start until Summer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working with Argonne National Laboratory and how do you think that alligns to your career goals?   Answer Question