Atlassian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Atlassian Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2017

3.1

Product Marketing Interview

Interview

As you have probably seen in other reviews, Atlassian has two main issues with their interview process and I experienced both:
    1- Across the board, they do lots of window-shopping, as in not really planning to fill a role externally, but posting it anyway and 2-getting the unsuspecting candidates to do a whiteboarding session and then using their ideas without hiring them.
    This happened to me and I know because an Atlassian employee told me this in confidence: They had filled a role a month before (with an internal candidate) but they made me do a whiteboarding session that asked for detailed strategy, campaign, and content marketing approach. I presented to the team who was supposed to do that work, and next day, they told me I didn't get the job, BUT after a couple of weeks, I caught them using my suggestions. When I brought it to the recruiter's attention, she responded saying they won't answer my emails anymore!
    So, basically don't let Atlassian use you.

Interview Questions

• What exact text should I put in my display ad copy?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

The person who reached out to me after submitting the application, was quick in their response. After they reached out to me they had me do a coding test.

Interview Questions

• They had me do a coding assessment. Basically, I use an online IDE that they provided and picked the language of my choosing and coded 5 functions they asked, only 2 were required.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I was contacted with a hackerrank interview challenge. The instructions did not match the content of the challenge. I emailed them about this requesting a redo and they sent me the same test. Got an automated rejection email a few weeks later, overall a very impersonal and time-wasting process

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by recruiter who forwarded me a Hacker Rank challenge. I completed the challenge and I was ghosted by the company. Nobody ever reached out to me regarding a rejection or other steps. No responses on email. Terrible experience and complete lack of respect for their candidates.

Interview Questions

• Two questions on Hackerrank. One was "optional" if you had enough time to get to it.   Answer Question

Lead User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Atlassian.

Interview

I was in a phone screen with a recruiter, then another phone screen with a manager. The recruiter warned me about the manager that I need to speak "to the point".

The manager was in a hurry, talked fast and a bit rude, cut into my sentences and was generally unpleasant. In addition, the role page changed twice from the time I saw it and applied to the time I was in the interview. I did not feel I was interviewing for the role that was specified.

By the time the interview finished, I felt belittled, and I knew I'm not going to be there.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Mountain View, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

One of the best interview experiences I had so far. Quick responses from recruiters. Very nice team. Excellent company culture.

Applied online got a call within couple of weeks. Then had a quick call with the recruiter about my skills and experience.

1st Interview - 2 SRE leads Video Call - mostly behavioral and culture fit questions discussed my past experience.
    Q. Tell me about a situation when you had to change something in the existing project and how did you achieve the same?
    Q. How do you deal with a situation where you dont agree with one of your teammates.

2nd Interview - Online HackerRank take home test - 5 algo/DS questions. Difficulty increase as the questions proceed. You can pass this round if you get at least 3 with all the test cases passing. If you get pass this step next is onsite interview

Onsite Interview
    1st Round - Senior Site Reliability Engineer & Site Reliability Engineer (Technical, Coding)
    Basic algo questions on DS like when would you use HashTable? Array/ArrayList questions. Sorting technique questions. One Coding question on coderpad and Big O notation analysis for the solution coded.

2nd round - Head of SRE & SRE Team Lead (Management/Behavioral)
    This is mostly discussion on what are your expectations and understanding about the role.

3rd Round-SRE Team Lead,Engineering Team Lead (Technical, Ops Review)
    This was mainly a deep dive in one of my current projects with tech details on why you designed it in a way you did. I would suggest to pick one of your projects where you can showcase your depth of knowledge and prepare well to dive deep into technical details.

4th Round - SRE Manager (Values)
    They give a lot of importance to values of the company so make sure you go over those thoroughly. Also the questions you can expect in this round are mostly on have you practiced some of their values in your past experience . For example one of the Values says be the change you seek so typical they will ask an incident where you have exercised this value.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian.

Interview

The process was quick and the recruiter was highly communicative. It included two phone screenings one with the recruiter and one with hiring manager followed by two rounds of on-site interviews.

The onsite interview included conversations with team members across product, engineering, and leadership as well as a white-boarding exercise where I was asked to propose a new feature or improvement to the product. This exercise did take some time to prepare but was also a wonderful way to research the product and the market in further detail. The in-interview session itself was very collaborative, fun, and helped me judge if I would fit into the team's culture.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time when you failed. What happened and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Senior Designer Interview

Interview

One of the best interview processes I've ever experienced. They clearly value their candidates and respect their time. Started with a phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a 45-minute video call with the hiring manager, and an on-site interview. The on-site was about 3 hours long and included a culture fit interview, casual coffee break, and interactive design exercise. The design exercise was the toughest part, but also fun. It was broken up into two parts - time to collaborate with 2 other designers/PMs/engineers, and time to flesh out the idea on your own. Everyone I met was really nice and smart. After the interview, the recruiter was very transparent about interviewer feedback and what you can do to be more competitive.

Interview Questions

• Think of times when you've demonstrated each of Atlassian's values.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Atlassian (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

After 3 weeks of phone interviews and online quizzes, I went on site. Over 3 hours for that interview. One interviewer forgot my name halfway through. One interview was too difficult for the job position. Overall, good experience.

Enterprise Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me for an informal interview, then a second with the senior recruiter. I had one phone screen with the hiring manager and then an onsite (five interviewers) with the HM, peers, and engineers. The questions focused on experience with deep probing, with a couple of textbook questions (three strengths and three areas of development). For this role the focus was on customer relationships, developing team members, and process improvement. Everyone was professional and the downtown office real nice. I was given their decision within two business days.

Interview Questions

• What positive and constructive feedback would you provide to your previous interviewers.   Answer Question