Atlassian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Atlassian Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian.

Interview

Applied online, was sent a coding challenge. It was ludicrously difficult for an internship position. Six programming challenge problems of which I was only allotted two hours to complete. Two of the problems took me the entire two hours to complete - not due to my lack of ability. Not only was it more problems than I've ever been given in a programming challenge, they have been by far the hardest I've ever received; much harder than ones I've passed for full-time application interviews. No student would be able to complete the problems I was given unless they just happened to have extensively studied the exact random topics each problem covered just beforehand.

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Atlassian (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I emailed with recruiter twice to setup phone screen, but he didn't call me at all. This is very rude and candidates' time is also very valuable. Please respect others even though employers are active in job market.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Atlassian in March 2017.

Interview

Starts with a recruiter call that goes over why you chose Atlassian and your background. Then move into first interview with a manager that goes over a bunch of technical questions. After a week, I moved forward and had a two back to back interview over Bluejeans. The first interview was a presentation about something you have done in the past. The second interview was a coding test in Java and write JUnit tests. The recruiter got back to me in a few days regarding the rejection. The reason, however, was not very reasonable as the feedback was that the project was not technical enough. The project had a variety of system and scalability designs so I am not sure what they were looking for.

All recruiters I talked to were extremely nice and knowledgable about the company, which made it a very smooth and nice experience.

Interview Questions

• Manager interview was on core questions regarding Python, Java, multi-threading, version control, networking, and system designs.

First video interview: present a project you have done in detail for 45 minutes.

Seocnd interview: OOP design in Java for 45 minutes.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Atlassian (Mountain View, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

This is the most unprofessional company I have ever interviewed for. The HR of Atlassian doesn't have the responsibility to update interviewees with the status. She reached out and literally went above and beyond to conduct interviews. Our company recently got shutdown. They invited everyone from our company to pitch in what they are doing. Later conducted onsite interviews. And they did not hire even one of all the people. The reason for rejecting every candidate is that none of us has specialized skills to build their specialized product. I do not understand what specialized skills an engineer needs to know to build a software product other than problem solving and coding skills.
    Their interview process itself is so lame. The interviewers doesn't know what to ask. No one is prepared. HR has no idea who is going to talk to me next.
    They care so much about their culture and values, but they themselves have none. They have no idea of what they are going to do next. They just want to rewrite everything. No one knows well about their products.
    I would never interview for this company ever again. Just a time waste for everyone.

Senior Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Very positive interview experiences. Had a recruiter phone screen followed by a call with the hiring manager, who was clearly a very sharp and intelligent guy. He had me describe a previous project and was clearly listening closely, since he asked about specific details and also gave me hypothetical situations to work through to see my thought process. Unfortunately, I didn't end up moving forward since I was a bit junior for the role, but was overall impressed by the caliber of the manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you're motivated by, and how that links to this role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Atlassian (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and received an email for a phone interview. The interviewer was really nice and easy to talk to. Just prepare by researching behavioral interview questions and you should be ok.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about yourself.
      Q: Why do you want to join Atlassian.
      Q: How will you contribute to the Atlassian.

Senior Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Brief phone call, then followup longer phone interview. Overall they were very courteous and worked with my busy schedule to get interviewed. I felt they were not focused in their interviewing approach. It felt like one of those places that just let whoever is available randomly interview candidates without giving the interviewer direction. Ends up being a lot of college class algorithm questions. I didn't get asked very much about things I would actually do in the job role.

Interview Questions

• Binary Search Tree and other algorithms   1 Answer

Senior Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Did an in person interview, google hangout interview with someone in Sydney and a final interview that included a design challenge. No computer. Al sketching/whiteboarding. Was hard to think through the problem without getting in the product itself, using a few screenshots and instructions. But they wanted to see how quick I could think on my feet, under pressure, with limited time. It was a good challenge. Wish I would have had more than 30 min for the first challenge and 20 minutes for a second, but still was pretty happy with how it was presented and the people I talked to, even though I stumbled out the gate on the first one.

Interview Questions

• What kind of designer are you? A researcher, UX or visual designer? Which of those are your greatest strength?   Answer Question

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was a lot of work - I came in for the first round and met with four marketers. Then I had to do a lengthy assignment - designing the marketing plan for Atlassian and coming back in to present it to the whole team. Despite all of this work, Atlassian never got back to me with a final yes / no and it has been a month since I interviewed - not professional or respectful of a candidate's time and effort - and what does it say about the work experience you can expect?

Premier Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

My experience with Atlassian was a bit strange, but was a very memorable one. I originally applied online for the premier support engineer role back in the beginning of September but haven't heard back. I can see on the SmartRecruiters site (the platform they use for receiving and reviewing applications) that nobody looked over my resume. A few weeks later, a recruiter from Atlassian got in touch with me on Linkedin saying that they believe I would be a good fit for a senior support engineer role. At that point I wasn't sure if this was a completely different role or not. We setup a quick call, followed by a one hour technical phone interview. I was then invited onsite for final rounds of interviews where I met five different interviewers. They were all managers or team leads. I really liked everyone and had a pleasant conversation with each single interviewer. The recruiter got in touch again and said the feedback was positive, but they felt that I would be a better fit for two other roles, again a senior support engineering role on a different team and a premier support engineering role (the original job I had applied for a month ago). They wanted me to come in and meet a few more people. I have to say, if it were any other company I think I might have been reluctant, but I really enjoyed meeting people the first time round so I thought this would be a great opportunity to meet even more people. Besides, their office in Austin, Texas is just mind blowing! Went again, met everyone (4 different interviewers), had a good time, people were really nice. I felt like I was a better fit for the premier support engineering role, and that's the same feedback I received from the recruiter. They wanted to move forward with an offer. However, they got in touch and said that the premier support engineering manager wants to meet me and would have to setup a video conference call. I agreed, obviously. Who wouldn't want to meet the manager they're going to be working for? Finally, they made an offer.

I declined the offer, which was very hard for me to do. I had an offer from another company and I simply wanted to work with that product instead. Atlassian has some of the best perks I have ever seen and their office is simply the best one I have seen here in Austin. It looks like an awesome place to work in! I would recommend anyone to look for jobs at this company, and I will definitely apply there again in the future if I need a new job.

Interview Questions

• - Tell me about a difficult situation you were in with a client and how you dealt with it?
      - Tell me about a time where you couldn't find the answer to a problem and what did you do then?
      - Phone technical interview had troubleshooting questions like Java performance related issues (out of memory, Java heap sizing parameters -Xmx -Xms, hanging) and Linux admin stuff (IP address of the machine, running processes and corresponding open ports, file permissions, etc...)