Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is great but we still get stuff done" (in 24 reviews)

• "This company moves FAST - which keeps you on your toes and keeps you learning from some extremely smart people" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, company has a great work-life balance, for most employees - but expect the borders between work & life to blur" (in 7 reviews)

• "Have struggled with growing pains once they passed 2000 people and added their fourth large office" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"World-class Experience!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Atlassian I sometimes hear my co-workers say that they are "doing some of the best work of their lives." I truly believe this, and have experienced it myself. The company has a remarkably distinct and powerfully positive culture, and the leadership teams truly lives the values. Here's what I enjoy the most:

- Values driven culture, no BS, and inspiring mission
    - High trust environment where I feel empowered
    - Frequent, high-quality communication (weekly company meetings)
    - Incredible growth with kick-ass products
    - Great lunches, snacks, and events

Cons

Global footprint (US, Australia, Europe) makes working across timezones a bit tricky at times.

Advice to Management

The business is growing fast and things are moving quickly. As a result, I see that the bar for new hires is inconsistent across teams. I'd encourage the company to maintain strong standards and apply them consistently across the business. Let's make sure that as we grow, new employees are a great fit with our values regardless which team or office you're a part of.

2. "Great place to work, where management stands for company's values."

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company where people treated as people and teammates first and then as employees. Management truly believes in company values.

Cons

I can't really think of any. No kombucha on tap?..

Advice to Management

go TEAM!

3. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - California in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - California in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Most of the products are highly used by their users and you have a very engaged customer base.

Cons

Decision making can be a bit slow. Sometimes there's too many things the company tries to accomplish.

Advice to Management

Evaluate bigger projects with more scrutiny and find ways to empower teams to make low-medium risk decisions on their own so that the overall progress can be faster.

4. "Maturing slowly"

Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership truly cares about the humans who work here
    Super open company

Cons

Very hard to get promoted or move within the company

"At least they're trying"

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Atlassian is a company with heart, for sure. In my time there, I never questioned if the values you will hear so much about were just recruiting gimmicks or actual living breathing tenets to live by. There is a legitimate interest in doing work the smart way and being a great company to work for, Like in most good companies, it is really the people who make or break the place and Atlassian has done a great job of attracting and hiring good people. If you are coming from a more "normal" company, the perks at Atlassian are insanely generous. If you are coming from a Silicon Valley software company, they may not stack up to you expectations, but you will still appreciate all of the work the Workplace Experience team puts into making the offices and events the best they can.

Cons

There is a major disconnect between leadership and the people that they lead. I often heard our VP say "all the right things", but never saw any of those ideas put into action. I believe that this is the result of a few different factors, but they can all be summed up by saying that leadership seems to be happy judging their success by what amounts to be made-up metrics and just leaving it at that. In my department, at least, no one at any level of leadership seemed to have a very good grasp of what the operational realities were and none of them seemed to care to either and that is the part that kills me. There were a lot of interesting ideas, but no real care put into understanding the current situation when coming up with a plan to implement them. Right before my departure, a major change in operations occurred with less than an hour of training and no opportunities for those actually doing the work to provide input. There was a lot of trying to force a round peg into a square hole and then blaming the people on the ground level when things didn't work out. Accountability only ever seemed to apply to the lowest on the totem pole.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to understand the work being done. They need to have not only the time to do this, but they need to have the desire. Challenge all your leaders to never accept things at face value, to always question the status quo - especially those new to the company and new to the role. A lot of assumptions get made by people in power and that means a lot of questionable decisions are being made.

6. "Great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, culture, culture - it can be a bit shocking to see how truly "open" the company and the leaders are. We have a lot of outlets to express your success, frustrations, goals, etc.

Growth - The company is growing super fast and that opens a lot of doors for advancement (vertically or horizontally) in a relatively short period of time

Benefits - Simply amazing. Everything is covered for you + family, 401k match, etc.

Catered daily lunch

Cons

Process and Structure - These are not always set up or set up for scale. This is a frustration, but also the opportunity to "be the change you seek" and really have an impact on the processes for the future. Still, can be a frustration at times!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the culture and the people. Your willingness to be transparent in all facets is motivating!

Jun 7, 2018 – Atlassian People team

Thanks for adding your perspective here! As Atlassian continues to grow, the Talent team is continuing to put as much focus as we can on hiring leaders who will support, reinforce and embed our... More

"Great company! (but not for introverts!)"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, feels startup-like but at scale. A company that really believes in its core principles (which are on display everywhere, in case you forget them!). And, when I had to leave (for reasons that had nothing to do with the company), Atlassian were extremely helpful and understanding.

If I get the chance to work here again, I'll take it!

Cons

Definitely more for extroverts than introverts! If you want to just sit in a corner and do whatever you do, don't work here. Also, company has a great work-life balance, for most employees - but expect the borders between work & life to blur.

Advice to Management

There's a few Atlassians who've been there for years, have done great things in the past - but have now ossified. They've become single-points-of-failure for their teams, people who's knowledge is indispensable and whose opinions are considered oracular, even by their managers. Consider moving around anyone who's been with a team, in a non-lead role, for more than a few years.

Jun 7, 2018 – Marketing Manager: Global Recruiting

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback and we’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience with Atlassian. We’ve heard there can be some aspects of our culture that make it... More

8. "Analyst at Atlassian"

Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Culture
    - Very Comprehensive benefits
    - Los of Upward Mobility

Cons

- Company is growing fast which has it's challenges, but overall not always a bad thing

"Work Place"

I worked at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Positive work environment for starters

Cons

Every job has some form of negative energy

"Great for early career, be aware of cliques"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Note where you land. Cloud products (software as a service) are the growth products, large teams etc. Server and Data Center (on premise) are bread-and-butter value products, lean teams mostly outside the US. A Jira Server role can be very different from a Jira Cloud role.

This is a great place for early-career employees (1st/2nd job out of college or 3-4yrs experience) who love dogs and love to blog. If this is you, you'll have lots of good experiences - meeting a lot of people at the same stage in their lives/careers, being able to volunteer easily, take yoga classes at work, get free food, take on resume-building leadership roles like being your team's social chair or becoming a member of the foundation (volunteering group) council etc. This will probably be the "best place you ever worked" which is a goal for the company. You should remember to blog about all these things on the internal Confluence site for maximum benefit.

You can bring your dog to work as often as you want. If you like dogs or have a dog, this is a good place for you.

What else? General conversation topics are dogs, yoga, what someone posted on Instagram, fashion, the newest restaurant, wine, and the SF rental market.
    If these are your go-to topics, you'll do great here.

Oh, and you'll probably get to go to Sydney at some point so that's pretty cool.

Cons

For more experienced folks and especially if you are mid-30s and later with a life outside of work/work colleagues, note that most senior roles/middle management seem to be taken by the folks who joined in the 2012-2014 timefame. Senior roles (principal, head of etc) seem to be few and far between for internal and external growth, and it may be difficult to succeed in these (see cliques below).

Most things are done the "Atlassian way", which is a reason given to do things the same way every time. So if you have ideas or suggestions, perhaps from prior experiences, these are only accepted if they align exactly with how things are already done or if you have a sponsor who OKs them. New ideas and suggestions are mostly encouraged only if you've been around for a while and are in one of the cliques. So it's pretty collaborative if you have the same opinions and methods, may feel dismissive otherwise. I know folks who have left the company precisely because of this.

Cliques: Other reviews mention "cronyism", "groupism" and "communism" :). These seem to be mostly informal networks dominated by folks hired in 2012-2014, and span SF/Austin/Sydney etc. These folks are pretty close to the long-time leaders. If you grew up in the company, you've paid your dues and you will get opportunities. If you grew up elsewhere, getting opportunities and getting in with the right cliques may be difficult and time-consuming. In fact multiple people across a variety of teams have gone through some pretty rough times when not in the right cliques.

Also the compensation seems to be below market. And promotions seem to go to people who have been here for a while.

If you are not a dog person or are allergic to dogs... you are in for a tough time. There are even off-leash dogs in the kitchen where people eat/handle food!

There are processes in place for everything, using Jira and Jira Service Desk. Even the smallest request to another team has to go through a ticketing process. If you are from a much larger company, you are probably OK with this pace. If you came here thinking "modern startup", you may be frustrated by the pace.

The company is very proud of its published values... but it seems folks have different interpretations. For example, "open company, no BS" - sometimes this seems to mean that things are transparent and open if you are in the right group. And there's "play, as a team" but then cliques come into play so interpret that as you would like.

Advice to Management

Figure out if Atlassian wants to be the "best place to work" for everyone, or just early-career employees. And deal with the cliques - as many of the reviews suggest, you might be losing some really good talent because of these. Considering that HR is constantly asking us to refer our friends all the time, letting good talent walk away simply because they are a bit different or have new ideas about how to achieve our goals seems strange. And regarding our culture - think about how to make it welcoming and fresh.

Jun 7, 2018 – Marketing Manager: Global Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input. We strive to be a best place to work across the board and appreciate the candid feedback and advice. We’ve listened to a lot of Atlassian feedback to... More