Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is great but we still get stuff done" (in 30 reviews)

• "Generally high quality production, great place to learn from other smart people" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot of change over at the middle management level" (in 15 reviews)

• "Also, company has a great work-life balance, for most employees - but expect the borders between work & life to blur" (in 8 reviews)

"Life Changing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a lot of freedom in your schedule which is great as I do my best coding at night. I can work from home when I want to or go into the NYC office which is awesome to have the choice when the commute is 3 hours round trip. The NYC office always has great food and drinks available and a lot of fun events to attend including in office yoga classes, supper clubs that explore NYC, and team building events when other offices visit. Everyone who I've worked with personally has been incredibly smart and helpful, I'm consistently impressed with my colleagues. There's a lot of great resources for learning and growing as a developer including a very fair size budget to travel and go to conferences with. Not only do I get to enjoy my day to day life at work but I get to enjoy more out of life with the pay and benefits they offer including compensation for my yoga classes and bike and incredible health benefits (the best I've had in my life and I have a chronic back issue so this is a big one for me!) I agree with the company's values and have been more than encouraged to give back through donating time and money through the company to some charities doing great things. I hope to be here for a very long time to come and am excited to grow within the company. I no longer feel like I go to work, I feel like I wake up and have an opportunity to build something amazing!

Cons

There's a bit of a learning curve when coming into a large existing code base but there's a lot of resources available to help with that

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. "Solid company that treats employees well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Laid back culture, yet everyone is smart, capable, and ambitious
    - Strong emphasis on employee satisfaction, which leads to excellent retention
    - Purposeful about values. They drive policy and hiring decisions. The values aren't just for internal marketing.
    - Everything is documented like crazy in Confluence, so tribal knowledge and silo'd teams are rare
    - 100% paid healthcare premiums for U.S. employees, fancy chairs, flexible hours, unlimited vacation
    - Remote friendly

Cons

- Doesn't pamper employees quite as much as the huge brand names.
    - It's an enterprise software company, so while the products are generally best in class, they're not particularly exciting.
    - It's a big company, so I don't know that my experience generalizes to other divisions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! And that includes innovating. Keep valuing people and you'll retain the best.

3. "Australian foundation makes a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Aussie work culture is somewhat different than the US work culture. While the folks are very, very committed to turning out a great product and being the best in the business, there's an open, honest & human element that sometimes gets lost in the US.

Cons

If you're US-based, you'll be answering emails on Sunday night when Australia gets online; BUT the upside is that Fridays tend to be more relaxed because it's already Saturday in Sydney

4. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People CARE. They care about me, about my life, about my work, about the products, about my success, about my failures, about how to live the best possible work/life balance. There are no petty attitudes on my greater team of 30+, just people who understand when life happens and want you to the best work possible.

Cons

I don't have any, honestly. The only minor inconvenience is the growing pain of not having enough meeting rooms available, but we're getting a new office and since I work with so many people outside of the SF office, we can all meet on a video conference anyways.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, I love it. Best place I've worked in my 10+ years of working!

5. "Great company, growing pains"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Lovely coworkers. Agile, flexible, and interested in making good products

Cons

Bugs don't get fixed. Headaches around mismanagement. Slow developer cycle and not a lot of opportunities to move around the company. A LOT of internal problems to solve.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to get the right people in the room and move the needle for your projects. Stagnation and bad service is killing your platform.

6. "A company that really plays as a team"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

At Atlassian I work with some of the smartest, most driven people I've ever met. Atlassian has found a way to maintain their laid back Aussie personality with a strong drive to always achieve and do more for our customers.

Cons

Not a single complaint, seriously.

"Atlassian is Growing up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big company with a lot of growth still ahead of it. If you're on the right team, the place is great.

Work life balance is excellent, unlike silicon valley, this is an Aussie work life balance company.

The Founders and senior leadership are amazing, but that's where it stops.

Cons

There's a general departure from the original get things done culture and an emerging middle management political ware going on.

Most middle management and promotions are granted on a political basis; lots of kiss assing and back scratching going on. It still works because the underlying organic growth is strong, but once growth slows, the cracks will sink this ship.

Terrible place for long term career development. Managers change, orgs change, equity is stagnant, and the pay is far below market.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the yes-men and women you've employed to the middle ranks. These are not your friends, they are the toxin poisoning your company.,

"Great company: opportunity, people, talent and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a mid-career engineering manager with experience at a couple of startups and several of the big tech companies (Google, Adobe, Microsoft). Atlassian has talent as good as the best of those companies (e.g. Google) and has done a better job of keeping a collaborative culture. The scale (currently ~3500) is large enough that there are a range of interesting projects and there is plenty of opportunity for career growth, but the company hasn't yet started to feel like a big company. Very little beaucracy, and no BS. On that last point, it's really been a great experience working for an Australian company -- there's an honesty and freshness that permeates the company culture that I haven't seen in any of the silicon valley companies.

Cons

For more senior folks, timezones may be a challenge -- there are several engineering teams that are split between Sydney and the Bay area.

"Senior Communications Manager"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Atlassian carries an amazing set of values that they live every day in the office. The result of which (along with a great HR/management team) is a fantastic culture built on respect, teamwork, acceptance and hard work (that is recognized and rewarded by others). As a growing company, there is a lot of opportunity to grow and taking new approaches and/or projects is definitely encouraged. I've often said that it is a "yes" company - a place where employees (even on other teams) are happy to say "yes" when you come to them with a reasonable ask for help, and where management is supportive of you bringing new ideas to the table. Not to mention the pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Nothing really to mention here!

Advice to Management

The biggest struggle moving forward will be scaling the values and culture alongside the company growth (more products, employees, etc.). I've been impressed with how we hire and retain great leaders, I hope this trend continues for years to come.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What's not to love? Atlassian has been amazing so far. The people are amazing, the benefits are comparable to none. Having come from a much larger company, I feel way more connected to the business and like what I actually do day to day is making an impact.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.