Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a lot of work from home flexibility depending on your role, and work-life balance is very good (in 19 reviews)

• This company moves FAST - which keeps you on your toes and keeps you learning from some extremely smart people (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is experiencing growing pains and middle management is frequently changing (in 11 reviews)

• Pay and work-life balance are not very fair for the responsibilities for some positions, like support, compared to other teams (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"World-class Experience!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Atlassian I sometimes hear my co-workers say that they are "doing some of the best work of their lives." I truly believe this, and have experienced it myself. The company has a remarkably distinct and powerfully positive culture, and the leadership teams truly lives the values. Here's what I enjoy the most:

- Values driven culture, no BS, and inspiring mission
    - High trust environment where I feel empowered
    - Frequent, high-quality communication (weekly company meetings)
    - Incredible growth with kick-ass products
    - Great lunches, snacks, and events

Cons

Global footprint (US, Australia, Europe) makes working across timezones a bit tricky at times.

Advice to Management

The business is growing fast and things are moving quickly. As a result, I see that the bar for new hires is inconsistent across teams. I'd encourage the company to maintain strong standards and apply them consistently across the business. Let's make sure that as we grow, new employees are a great fit with our values regardless which team or office you're a part of.

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

It's a great place to work with opportunities to grow. We have great values and it seems like the employees live up to them every single day.

Cons

There are a lot of first time managers in this company so it's a learning process for everyone. Would be nice to see a little more experienced midlevel managers.

3. "Not Feeling It!"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+great benefits
    +free food
    +generally nice co-workers
    +Values
    +growth like crazy

Great story of how the Founders created and built this company.

Cons

Can't speak for Sydney, but in the San Francisco office, is lacking in spirit, values and camaraderie. I blame the leaders but HR, as the stewards of culture and climate happen to be one of the worst orgs in the company and the head is based in San Francisco where she and her appointed minions have been directly responsible for the loss of so much key talent,

Advice to Management

Keeping the best talent is every leaders responsibility. Don't abdicate this to HR or you will only accelerate their departure.

"Overall a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

People at Atlassian are very smart and friendly; it is generally a happy environment with everyone trying to work together, rather than at other places where it may be competitive or combative. The Austin office is beautiful and well-run, with many in-office perks. There is a lot of work from home flexibility depending on your role, and work-life balance is very good. Company culture is top notch.
    Pay is at or above market, and the benefits package is excellent; full medical/dental/vision for you and your family covered 100%, unlimited PTO, free food, gym reimbursements, etc.
    Overall definitely a great place to work.

Cons

With growth and change there are a lot of challenges - continuing to move quickly as the company gets larger can be a struggle. Departments can be siloed and communication with people in other offices is not always easy. Career paths may not be well defined depending on the role, and middle management can be hit or miss.

"Growth is hard"

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- At the top levels of management, I truly believe Atlassian cares about doing things the smart way.
    - Nice offices. Nice perks.

Cons

- Unfortunately, the execution of the smart way of doing things is not always smart.
    - Nice offices and nice perks are a dime a dozen in software companies these days.

Advice to Management

Metrics mean nothing if they have no basis in reality. Reality changes all the time, so even if you think your numbers are solid, they won't stay that way. Metrics that measure teams don't always apply to individuals. Be aware of the impact that metrics have on your culture. Hitting numbers is not fun or very motivating.

"Not the ending I had in mind"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, generally a meritocracy
    Nice offices with all the perks
    Cool technologies

Cons

Not what it claims to be culture wise. Seems like most people were more concerned with making themselves valued than actually creating a cohesive team. I was suddenly terminated after two years of "valued" performance reviews. Definitely not the best engineer, but I didn't deserve to be kicked to the curb and treated so poorly. Security escorted me out after the surprise firing. No severance, no bonus (one month away from it), nothing. That's at-will employment for you I guess.

Advice to Management

Don't put incompetent people with no real leadership qualities in team-lead roles. Eliminate the middle managers who don't have a backbone and don't really do anything.

"Great company - can't think of anywhere I'd rather work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+truly brilliant teammates
    +exciting products/company direction
    +hard work is rewarded
    +a place you can build a career

Cons

-some teams are too slow moving
    -nontechnical teams sometimes don't embrace

Advice to Management

keep rewarding the hard workers! Strong talent stays at a company that gives them opportunities and rewards :)

"I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+truly brilliant teammates
    +exciting products/company direction
    +hard work is rewarded

Cons

-some teams are too slow moving
    -nontechnical teams sometimes don't embrace

Advice to Management

9. "A great company to work for"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

I've been here 3 years and still love it. The culture is amazing. The openness is unprecedented and the company places a lot of trust in its employees. The work is challenging and the company is moving fast and in a great direction.

Cons

Atlassian doesn't have much of a remote culture. That will change with the acquisition of Trello though.

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The culture is very apparent, in fact there are signs hanging in the office. Everyone is really chill and smart.

Cons

Many of the people I work with are remote, which makes it difficult to stay on the same page and accomplish things quickly.

Advice to Management

Less micro managing please