Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance is pretty fantastic and the benefits are outstanding (in 23 reviews)

• This company moves FAST - which keeps you on your toes and keeps you learning from some extremely smart people (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Have struggled with growing pains once they passed 2000 people and added their fourth large office (in 12 reviews)

• Pay and work-life balance are not very fair for the responsibilities for some positions, like support, compared to other teams (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"World-class Experience!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Atlassian I sometimes hear my co-workers say that they are "doing some of the best work of their lives." I truly believe this, and have experienced it myself. The company has a remarkably distinct and powerfully positive culture, and the leadership teams truly lives the values. Here's what I enjoy the most:

- Values driven culture, no BS, and inspiring mission
    - High trust environment where I feel empowered
    - Frequent, high-quality communication (weekly company meetings)
    - Incredible growth with kick-ass products
    - Great lunches, snacks, and events

Cons

Global footprint (US, Australia, Europe) makes working across timezones a bit tricky at times.

Advice to Management

The business is growing fast and things are moving quickly. As a result, I see that the bar for new hires is inconsistent across teams. I'd encourage the company to maintain strong standards and apply them consistently across the business. Let's make sure that as we grow, new employees are a great fit with our values regardless which team or office you're a part of.

"Great place to work with great set of core values"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Our values truly drive our decision making process

A good comp and benefits package that includes equity, medical/dental/vision, wellness stipend, and annual bonus

Dedication to diversity and inclusion

Cons

A lot of growing pains as a result of the rapid growth

3. "Great culture"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Awesome company where values are really embraced every day. Teams are really empowered to do the best work of their lives. Love the ship it days.

Cons

The company is challenged with retaining the company values and culture as they bring on new senior leaders.

Advice to Management

Ensure a high level of scrutiny when hiring new leaders to retain the amazing culture you have! Expand the on boarding process to ensure all new hires embrace the culture

4. "Great place to accelerate your career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is in hyper-growth, which means there are many opportunities to work on impactful work, gain visibility, and try new things. Everyone is super friendly, approachable (especially leadership) and willing to help each other out. Values really guide what people do and how the work with each other. It doesn't seem to just be for show.

In addition, the fully stocked kitchens, dog-friendly offices, the intent on creating positive experiences/relationships (thanks Workplace experience team!) and more make it a place where you're excited to come to every day. The fully paid healthcare/dental/vision really helps too.

Cons

Growth is happening really quickly and sometimes, things can get overlooked. There have been a lot of changes to try to improve things, but it's up to managers, HR and others to make sure that the changes stick and are for the better.

Advice to Management

Don't stop the growth, but make sure that each decision is carefully thought through.

5. "Great environment to make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Passionate, genuine people who want to build something special
    -Truly a values-driven organization, Atlassian really does rally around the company values when big decisions need to be made
    -There are still a lot of problems to solve which means there's a lot of space to build solutions and take ownership over key projects
    -Lots of autonomy

Cons

-With lots of growth, change is constant, it does take effort to keep up
    -Communication has been a bit of an issue as the company has grown, although it appears to be improving on all fronts

Advice to Management

-Focus on communication across the org, keep finding opportunities to empower people to become leaders

6. "Good place to work"

Pros

Smart people in every department, and good products.

Cons

* Management could be better
    * Salaries are a little low

"Great for early career, be aware of cliques"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Note where you land. Cloud products (software as a service) are the growth products, large teams etc. Server and Data Center (on premise) are bread-and-butter value products, lean teams mostly outside the US. A Jira Server role can be very different from a Jira Cloud role.

This is a great place for early-career employees (1st/2nd job out of college or 3-4yrs experience) who love dogs and love to blog. If this is you, you'll have lots of good experiences - meeting a lot of people at the same stage in their lives/careers, being able to volunteer easily, take yoga classes at work, get free food, take on resume-building leadership roles like being your team's social chair or becoming a member of the foundation (volunteering group) council etc. This will probably be the "best place you ever worked" which is a goal for the company. You should remember to blog about all these things on the internal Confluence site for maximum benefit.

You can bring your dog to work as often as you want. If you like dogs or have a dog, this is a good place for you.

What else? General conversation topics are dogs, yoga, what someone posted on Instagram, fashion, the newest restaurant, wine, and the SF rental market.
    If these are your go-to topics, you'll do great here.

Oh, and you'll probably get to go to Sydney at some point so that's pretty cool.

Cons

For more experienced folks and especially if you are mid-30s and later with a life outside of work/work colleagues, note that most senior roles/middle management seem to be taken by the folks who joined in the 2012-2014 timefame. Senior roles (principal, head of etc) seem to be few and far between for internal and external growth, and it may be difficult to succeed in these (see cliques below).

Most things are done the "Atlassian way", which is a reason given to do things the same way every time. So if you have ideas or suggestions, perhaps from prior experiences, these are only accepted if they align exactly with how things are already done or if you have a sponsor who OKs them. New ideas and suggestions are mostly encouraged only if you've been around for a while and are in one of the cliques. So it's pretty collaborative if you have the same opinions and methods, may feel dismissive otherwise. I know folks who have left the company precisely because of this.

Cliques: Other reviews mention "cronyism", "groupism" and "communism" :). These seem to be mostly informal networks dominated by folks hired in 2012-2014, and span SF/Austin/Sydney etc. These folks are pretty close to the long-time leaders. If you grew up in the company, you've paid your dues and you will get opportunities. If you grew up elsewhere, getting opportunities and getting in with the right cliques may be difficult and time-consuming. In fact multiple people across a variety of teams have gone through some pretty rough times when not in the right cliques.

Also the compensation seems to be below market. And promotions seem to go to people who have been here for a while.

If you are not a dog person or are allergic to dogs... you are in for a tough time. There are even off-leash dogs in the kitchen where people eat/handle food!

There are processes in place for everything, using Jira and Jira Service Desk. Even the smallest request to another team has to go through a ticketing process. If you are from a much larger company, you are probably OK with this pace. If you came here thinking "modern startup", you may be frustrated by the pace.

The company is very proud of its published values... but it seems folks have different interpretations. For example, "open company, no BS" - sometimes this seems to mean that things are transparent and open if you are in the right group. And there's "play, as a team" but then cliques come into play so interpret that as you would like.

Advice to Management

Figure out if Atlassian wants to be the "best place to work" for everyone, or just early-career employees. And deal with the cliques - as many of the reviews suggest, you might be losing some really good talent because of these. Considering that HR is constantly asking us to refer our friends all the time, letting good talent walk away simply because they are a bit different or have new ideas about how to achieve our goals seems strange. And regarding our culture - think about how to make it welcoming and fresh.

"Pretty good, but room for improvement"

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick note: I wish you could give half ratings! I don't think Atlassian is a 3, but I also wouldn't give it a 4.

- You'll be working alongside some awesome people. The majority of people are extremely friendly and are almost always willing to lend a hand.

- There's a lot of senior talent. If you're new to the game you can learn a lot.

- You get a lot of autonomy in your day to day work.

- Our company values actually mean something. A lot of people live the values and we celebrate that openly as a company.

- Work/life balance is great, though that seems to get tougher and tougher the higher up the ladder you go.

- Free lunch and perks.

- Despite all the problems listed below, they're genuinely trying to fix them and make it a better place for everyone to work.

Cons

- Sometimes it can seem as if we're moving at a glacial pace, other times we're moving way too fast. We need to find a good pace and stick with it.

- A lot of the work done doesn't ship for various reasons. We pivot a lot and other times a bigger, more important project will come along which means the current work gets canned and the team transitions to a different project.

- Atlassian has a tendency to tackle big projects all at once which means they can drag on for years.

- Compared to the market average, Atlassian underpays. This is true for Sydney and the US.

- We say "Open company, no bull#$%" but there's a lot of bureaucracy at the top.

- If you don't have a good manager who will fight for you, you're going to struggle. This is especially important when it comes to performance reviews and interesting projects.

- Atlassian favours extroverts. The only way to get yourself out there and known to senior management is by promoting your work and speaking at town halls or writing blog posts on the global Confluence instance.

- Favourites get the interesting work. This is great if you're a favourite, but can be hard if you're an introvert and don't like promoting yourself or if you have a bad manager.

- A lot of change over at the middle management level.

Advice to Management

Listen to the customers and actually ship work! You've got all the research you need, just start assigning smaller, easily shippable pieces of work to teams and keep momentum moving.

"Amazing Company, great leadership"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Great benefits, employees are well taken care of. Feels like the company and teams put a lot of thought into retention, recognition, career growth and how to empower employees.

I enjoy my work, the work-life-balance, the autonomy, no micro-managing bosses, very supportive superiors who's open to giving me a lot of opportunities to take a stab at things I previously had no experience in. People are genuinely kind, thoughtful, non political and people I have enjoyed working with.

A lot of thought is given into aligning what we do with our values. Values are more than just a sign we hang at the door.

Cons

Can't think of any?

"Company values are strong, but we need to pay attention to talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our values keep us centered and connected.
    We reward risk-taking and those who GSD.
    The CEOs and President are true leaders and real people who care about their teams.
    We have great benefits and everyone is a shareholder which drives an even stronger work ethic across the company.
    We work with brilliant, motivated people who want to elevate the entire ship.

Cons

While I've had growth opportunities at Atlassian and am grateful for them, this seems to be changing as we scale the company. We seem to be valuing external candidates over internal ones. What once was a "be the change you seek" mentality is now met with a "lack of experience" response.

Advice to Management

Stay true to who we are and do your best to the retain the talent you have.