Avvo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Avvo

2.4

Sales Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied via Linked In. Went in for an interview at their office, in South Seattle. The interview was a group interview with the main older gentleman running the conversation. I didn't take the job as 3 month testing period was A LOT lower than what I was making, or could make at a part-time job. (border line minimum wage). They also couldn't answer my question about the future of the company, which made me really concerned.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA) in September 2019.

Interview

Easy. The company needs new people, all of the time. They literally sell you on the job. There isn’t any need for qualifications or past experience that prepares you or qualifies you for the job. They prefer no experience or pertinent skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA) in July 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter, then meeting with team and V.P. of Client Services.

Don't apply here if you're over 40. Regardless of your skills, qualifications or accomplishment, they won't hire you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA) in February 2019.

Interview

I got an email from a recruiter through referral process. We decided a time to do a phone interview but the recruiter never called me at the decided time. I had to email him and reschedule the interview. After talking to him, I got passed to do another phone interview with the Client Manager, and after a successful interview with her, I was called for an in person interview. The in person interview is 2 hours long where you do a writing sample for the first 30 minutes and then three 30 minutes interviews with about 5 people . The last interview with the VP is the most important. The VP's questions are behavioral and his main intention is to find out if you are the right fit for the position. The team seemed interesting are are looking for people who can upsell and maintain client relationships at the same time. I interviewed on Friday and was supposed to receive an answer by Monday. I was working with 2 recruiters through this process. I was waiting for an answer but I got no communication from them until Wednesday when I had to email and ask about the result. One of the recruiter emailed me back saying the team disclosed the result to another recruiter and the other recruiter shall contact me "soon". I emailed the other recruiter but received no reply. The next day I again emailed to ask the result and I got a reply from both saying that I wasn't selected. Even though the recruiters had the result from the team on Tuesday, it took them 2 days to tell me.

Interview Questions

• What are you most passionate about and how can you sell that to me?   1 Answer
    • What do your friends think about you?   1 Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Avvo in December 2018.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by an on-site 4-5 hour interview with PMs, Devs, Technical Directors and the CTO. Overall, Avvo went out of their way to provide a pleasant interview experience complete with food and swag. This was much appreciated. What I didn't appreciate was the fact that they went on to change the job description post my interview to make it more technical than what I originally applied for. Had there been different job requirements in the original job description, I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Avvo.

Interview

Interview order:
    Recruiter Call
    Hiring Manager Call
    In Person Loop (2.5 hours):
    - 45 min w/ manager (who has this job) and a teammate
    - 30 min Lunch w/ director
    - 45 min w/ manager and a teammate (same roles as first one, different people)
    - 30 min w/ VP

Summary:

Pros:
    Super nice people
    Easy interviewing

Cons:
    Not enough time to eat lunch
    Get you exhausted before the most important interview
    Slanted towards internal candidates

Felt like I crushed it— the team is so nice and really easy to talk to, they want you to succeed and are very open and transparent with how work at Avvo is and in answering any of your questions. I honestly felt like I could have been great friends with each and every person I spoke to. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to work here, despite the more negative recent Glassdoor reviews (which you probably need to take with a grain of salt given the acquisition). Honestly each person I spoke to on the phone was very real and very nice, which led me to go forward with the in person interview despite the aforementioned bad reviews. I am a very frank person, so when I say the team here is super cool and unlike the cliquey snobbery of most tech companies, I mean it.

That being said, they do save the VP interview for last. By this time I was exhausted, and when he told me I was basically not a good fit, my brain wasn’t working well enough to handle that curveball. The vibes went from overall positive, to neutral in this one, and then negative at the end of it. I knew in that moment I wasn’t going to get the job, and frankly it felt like a bit of a waste of time given the preconceived notion from a cursory glance at my resumé. More interested in “explain each line of your resumé to me”, which I guess is not surprising given high level executives are only pulled into these things last minute. They don’t weigh in until you’ve already invested a dozen hours into the process. This part was a bad experience, but won’t differ much at most companies— so make sure you focus most on the weak spots of your background because executives are notorious for trying to rip you to shreds.

Also, even though they provide lunch, it’s during an interview (mines was with a director) so you probably won’t be able to actually eat it. If they were sinister this might be by design, but it’s probably not. The director did asked a ton of questions though, and super rapid fire, so I had like two bites. This contributed to a slow mind for the most important interview with the VP at the end (since i was starving), and my inability to handle it well. Highly suggest eating right before you arrive, or bringing some kind of snack bars. Even though lunch is offered, don’t bother ordering it, wasn't that good anyway and is from some catering company. I’d like to note that it is very nice of them to offer it though! But had I prepared as if it weren't offered I would have done much better.

Another thing to note— if you are going in for a management interview, you’ll likely be up against internal candidates. The massive focus on culture fit here, and the fact that they are a maturing company that highly prizes their history, means that the odds will be heavily stacked against you. So plan accordingly for why you are better than an internal hire, and make sure you focus heavily on your other (non Avvo) prospects too!

Overall a good experience, marred by the fact that there was probably simply a better internal prospect for the job. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions, and some "tell me about a time when".   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter first, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. If the two phone screens go well, you will be brought into the office to meet with 5+ managers over 2 hours.

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

i was supposed to have the phone call interview on Tuesday, but they forgot it. we changed the time twice. it is so unprofessional. the questions are easy

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. We had an initial phone screen and then a phone call with the hiring manager, at which time I was invited to an in-person loop with three or four people. Lunch was provided and parking was validated, which was a nice touch. They also gave me some cool Avvo swag.

The interview itself was pretty standard, but everyone was super likable and made Avvo seem like a great place to work. I left feeling really excited about the position, but a bit concerned because the recruiter ended the day by letting me know the company was being acquired by Internet Brands. I was concerned that might impact the direction and potentially eliminate this position, and IB also doesn't have good reviews here on Glassdoor so that wasn't great news.

I quickly found out that the acquisition had created a hiring freeze, but it was expected to be a short one. I appreciated the transparency and follow up from the recruiter, who kept me informed about the timeline at first and made it clear they were very interested in me as a candidate. After the acquisition date (Valentine's Day) came and went without the deal closing, I heard from the recruiter one last time, but he didn't reply to my last message. I assumed the deal was just taking a bit longer to close than expected and didn't worry much about it until a few weeks went by with no word.

The position is no longer advertised on their website or elsewhere so it appears it was either eliminated or filled without notifying me. While communication initially seemed very strong, it's disappointing not to be given a final answer after investing that much time into a position and company.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, the interview itself was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Avvo (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Be aware of very unprofessional HR.
    Interviewed with them August 2017 for account executive. After finding out compensation plan declined to proceed with in person interviews. Recruiter advised that there are other positions available and asked to come over for in person interview. Promised to schedule via email after done with a call. Never heard from him again. !!!

6 month later Avvo contacted me again. I stated right away that already interview with them and had bad experience. Recruiter said “ it was some other HR person , why don’t you speak with me. “ We schedule a call.
    And surprisingly this new HR person called me saying “ so , I see you interview with us recently , what made you apply again ?” That’s after contacting me themselves . I never applied. You approached me.

Phone interview went very well and recruiter invited me for In person interview in their “ beautiful downtown office beginning of next week “

NEVER HEARD FROM THEM AGAIN.
    Common now, 2 times in 6 month ?
    What kind of work ethics is that ?