BMI Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

1. Featured Interview

Trainee Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed by two senior analysts. They asked questions about my background, my interest in the position, my knowledge of macroeconomics and emerging markets. They wanted to see that I knew about the company and the industry it operates in. They asked technical questions specifically about the sector I had applied for.

Client Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at BMI Research.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and received an email that they want to follow up with me on phone and asked me to reply with comfortable time and answers to few others questions. I replied the same day with time for next day. Next day I didn`t receive call. I sent an email one more time and got an answer that recruiter cant call on indicated time and other recruiter will contact me. I waited for 1 week and it was not call again. I sent one more email to recruiter regarding the position and was it available or not. But I didnt get any answer.

Analyst Interview

Interview

Company not interested in getting the right answer, just making pretty looking research that concurs with consensus.

Interviewers arrived late to the interview and then their internet and phone system cut out twice, cutting off several answers. Most questions were vague and subjective, the kind of stuff economists have debated for years.

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at BMI Research (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Flawless process and highly organized. The recruiting firm made the process seamless. First interview was an hour long and the feed back was immediate. The process took one week before I got my proposal and starting date.

Negotiation

Simple and flawless.

Country Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research in January 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacts you and has you complete a written test (two questions, the first about the state of the U.S. economy over the next 12 months, the second about over-performing industry sectors in emerging markets over the next decade). Upon passing the written test, recruiter sets up an interview time, where you come in and meet two leaders of the research team. You also complete a second written test on-site.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions revolved around your background, international affairs, and macroeconomics. Both interviewers also asked you to identify three global trends should investors be conscious of in the next 10 years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research (New York, NY).

Interview

In total, there were two rounds of interviews- one skype, one in-person. HR did a great job facilitating the whole process. Each interview was about an hour long with the first half focusing on personal match and interest whereas the latter half was all econ based questions- mostly focused on monetary policies and financial sector developments. Just know your current events as it relates to markets and policies, and also know how to explain the mechanics of how these events affect national, regional, and global economy.

Interview Questions

• If you could pick any topic to research and write on at the moment, what would it be? If its a country or region, what are its biggest challenges and how would you recommend they address these challenges?

How does currency weakness affect inflation?

How do commodity prices affect currency values?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

There were two rounds and I was contacted through a recruiter. Before they invite you to the first round, you need to go do a writing assessment that's answering two five hundred word essays. The first round was an in-person in NYC and I had to commute there (though haven't heard anything about reimbursement specifically). Was straightforward - one hour of interviewing then a one hour writing assessment, again. Then, if they like you they contact you about a week later and invite you to do a Skype interview. Then, that is the last round. Was fairly quick.

Interview Questions

• None. Some technical economics questions but mostly was just a discussion of world affairs.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research (London, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

Stage 1: Written Test
    Write 350 word answer to two set questions which were based on the industry I applied to. Looking at a coherent writing style and argument.

Stage 2: Interview
    Two person interview, going over my CV and cover letter. Chance to ask questions
    Another written test, now under timed conditions. I was given a press release and internet access to write another short article in an hour.

Stage 3: Final Interview
    Four person interview. Further exploration of my CV/experience. Why did you apply/ What research have you done into the industry etc.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to prove your interest in the industry?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research.

Interview

Was contacted by HR within a week of application. First round was with the department head. Questions were related to my knowledge of the industry I was interviewing for, which the things I picked up from the Financial Times helped me answer. There were the typical questions such as why I wanted to work for the company, how does my education experience fit in with the job, and how I work in a team. This was followed by an hour-long written test, which involved looking at charts and data to come up with an analysis of the topic given. (Not really something you can prepare for.) A week later I was called back for a second round with the overall head, and the same type of questions were asked.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BMI Research (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was great. I had three interviews all together. One initial writing test and a cursory interview with line managers. A second with the Department heads and a third with my now boss over the phone. Everyone was very kind and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot about how you gather and consume news, what your degree was like and how it is applicable to the job as well as your understanding of business and economics--but very baseline simple stuff. Don't stress yourself over it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not occur.