Backroads Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Backroads Interview Questions

Updated Jan 18, 2018

3.4

Trip Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backroads.

Interview

Applied online, invited to do second interview via video, still waiting to hear back. It seems to be a long process but if you're really interested it's worth it. A cool opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if the guest's luggage doesn't show up?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

Incredible and frightening, but key to their hiring success. You interview with all the other applicants of that block. It's a long process, about 8 hours that include; introductions, problem solving sessions, lunch, company speeches, bike exams and meet and greets.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a guest's luggage didn't show up at the hotel?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Backroads.

Interview

Transparent, Fair, and Educational. Good people with good questions and a friendly atmosphere around the office and over coffee. They helped me make the best decision and gave me insight into the entire organization.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next role?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It took 4 months and 3 interviews to get hired. The final one is a 50-person 8-hour group interview. You are split into smaller groups of about 15 people and spend the day solving puzzles, answering scenario questions, and trying to prove you are good at teamwork

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of customer service style scenario questions. For example: “a guest refuses to wear their helmet, how do you respond?”   1 Answer

Trip Prep Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Recorded video interview. Took a month to get back to me, but got live interview scheduled. The video recording part was pretty easy. Straight forward questions, and 1 minute responses.

TOS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

I applied online but I am convinced I got an interview because I know someone who knows someone who works there. First I had a phone interview with a recruiter. Then I had a video interview with another recruiter and passed that test, so they sent me some excel assignments to do to organize trip reservations. It was mundane, but so is the job. After that I was called in for an in person interview. I spoke with a woman first who clearly didn't like me and was not friendly and dressed like she was at a night club which I thought was weird for an active travel company. The two other people I spoke with were really nice and made up for the first experience, but it was still a weird feeling. It's a very corporate place and I pulled myself from consideration. The work is mindless excel stuff and I think it would be hard to find meaning in the work and people don't seem that happy. They definitely underpay their staff for the income they bring in, which feels very wrong and greedy. The salary is what a social worker makes, but they try to sell it based on work culture and things like yoga classes and trip credits (but you still have to pay a portion). The people are nice enough, but I wouldn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• What my travel experience was, and what my excel experience was (multiple times-- very focused on this).   Answer Question

Leader Scheduling Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backroads (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

A series of phone and Skype interviews with recruiting, hiring managers, and the owner of the company. I also was asked to complete a skills test demonstrating my excel skills and I was asked to write a an email draft.

Interview Questions

• What do I like to do in my free time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Intense. 8:30 AM to 4PM. You have to be ON the whole day. Be sociable and mingle with everybody. Be yourself but at the same time to have to act a little. Prepare a 3 minute speech about yourself highlighting your personal achievements and how those achievements can relate to the job.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Backroads is a company that takes a great deal of care to make sure that they are hiring the best people to be Trip Leaders. As such, the process takes quite a while, and has a multiple steps. For me, it started with an online application in early December. It is part written and you also have to record videos of yourself answering questions when prompted which feels a little strange, but it was a nice change of pace. I heard back from them in early January that they wanted to set up an skype interview with a Backroads employee, which was essentially more in depth questions along the same lines as the ones in the written portion (although you should be ready for some situational customer service issue based questions). I was then invited out to Berkeley for a large group interview that they call a hiring event. The day is meant to test your endurance (8:30-4) as to simulate the experience of having to be "on" for your guests for a long period of time. After a coffee/bagel mixer where the candidates got to talk to each other and other Backroads employees, the day began. First thing they had us do was introduce ourselves for 2 minutes. It's important here to make sure you don't just talk about how much you love to travel and your life story in general. The other candidates don't care and Backroads already knows all that, so be different and tell a funny and/interesting story or something similar that will make you memorable. Teamwork exercises, guest scenarios, more public speaking and bike maintenance occupied the rest of the day. Heard back from them the day after.

Interview Questions

• A guest wants to ride much earlier and apart from the rest of the group. how do you manage that?   Answer Question

Trip Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Backroads in December 2015.

Interview

Applying online is pretty easy via the careers link on the website. The company updates the page regularly and states whether or not they are hiring trip leaders at this time. There is an online form that you can save and return to later, as well as a video interview that you record. You do need to submit your driving record as well but that can be done after you submit your application. The video interview was very easy to set up and there are even practice questions before the real recording.

Interview Questions

• What is something fun you have done recently?   Answer Question
    • If you could go back in time 5 years and give yourself advice, what would it be?   Answer Question
    • Aside from a love of the outdoors, why do you want to work with Backroads?   Answer Question