Backroads Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Backroads

TOS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

I applied online but I am convinced I got an interview because I know someone who knows someone who works there. First I had a phone interview with a recruiter. Then I had a video interview with another recruiter and passed that test, so they sent me some excel assignments to do to organize trip reservations. It was mundane, but so is the job. After that I was called in for an in person interview. I spoke with a woman first who clearly didn't like me and was not friendly and dressed like she was at a night club which I thought was weird for an active travel company. The two other people I spoke with were really nice and made up for the first experience, but it was still a weird feeling. It's a very corporate place and I pulled myself from consideration. The work is mindless excel stuff and I think it would be hard to find meaning in the work and people don't seem that happy. They definitely underpay their staff for the income they bring in, which feels very wrong and greedy. The salary is what a social worker makes, but they try to sell it based on work culture and things like yoga classes and trip credits (but you still have to pay a portion). The people are nice enough, but I wouldn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• What my travel experience was, and what my excel experience was (multiple times-- very focused on this).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Intense. 8:30 AM to 4PM. You have to be ON the whole day. Be sociable and mingle with everybody. Be yourself but at the same time to have to act a little. Prepare a 3 minute speech about yourself highlighting your personal achievements and how those achievements can relate to the job.

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Backroads is a company that takes a great deal of care to make sure that they are hiring the best people to be Trip Leaders. As such, the process takes quite a while, and has a multiple steps. For me, it started with an online application in early December. It is part written and you also have to record videos of yourself answering questions when prompted which feels a little strange, but it was a nice change of pace. I heard back from them in early January that they wanted to set up an skype interview with a Backroads employee, which was essentially more in depth questions along the same lines as the ones in the written portion (although you should be ready for some situational customer service issue based questions). I was then invited out to Berkeley for a large group interview that they call a hiring event. The day is meant to test your endurance (8:30-4) as to simulate the experience of having to be "on" for your guests for a long period of time. After a coffee/bagel mixer where the candidates got to talk to each other and other Backroads employees, the day began. First thing they had us do was introduce ourselves for 2 minutes. It's important here to make sure you don't just talk about how much you love to travel and your life story in general. The other candidates don't care and Backroads already knows all that, so be different and tell a funny and/interesting story or something similar that will make you memorable. Teamwork exercises, guest scenarios, more public speaking and bike maintenance occupied the rest of the day. Heard back from them the day after.

Interview Questions

• A guest wants to ride much earlier and apart from the rest of the group. how do you manage that?   Answer Question

Trip Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Backroads in December 2015.

Interview

Applying online is pretty easy via the careers link on the website. The company updates the page regularly and states whether or not they are hiring trip leaders at this time. There is an online form that you can save and return to later, as well as a video interview that you record. You do need to submit your driving record as well but that can be done after you submit your application. The video interview was very easy to set up and there are even practice questions before the real recording.

Interview Questions

• What is something fun you have done recently?   Answer Question
    • If you could go back in time 5 years and give yourself advice, what would it be?   Answer Question
    • Aside from a love of the outdoors, why do you want to work with Backroads?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

One of the most intense interviews I ever had but also one of the most fun! Don't get psyched out by all the other amazing people there, just be yourself and let your own qualities shine. They are looking for people who intuitively know how to relate to others, have confidence solving problems and are fun to be around. Be careful about coming across too self-inflated or self-absorbed. Be real.

Interview Questions

• What would you say to a guest that refused to wear his helmet?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA).

Interview

The whole process took about 4 weeks. Applied online, phone interview and then on-site invitation. They give you material to study for the interview and you will be expected to perform different skills during the interview. It is a group setting and you will be with about 20 other people. Right off the bat we each had to get up in front of the whole group and make a short speech, this was unexpected and if you don't do well with public speaking you should practice before. We then moved on to different skill tests, including fixing flat tires and making needed bike repairs. If you have language skills, they'll test them at some point as well. We broke up into smaller groups and went through situational questions that would apply to a trip leader position. Later, we all gave a speech as though we were a trip leader preparing a group for the days activities. Within a day or two you got news if you were hired or not.

Interview Questions

• Situational: You are leading a trip and after a long day of biking your group is having dinner and drinks at a restaurant which regularly hosts backroads trips. One of the group members has been drinking a lot and is becoming very loud and people are complaining. How would you respond to this situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process is intensive, but fun! You are with 50 other people who all have amazing stories. Although it was intimidating, and strenuous at times it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• In 2 min. tell me about yourself (In a room filled with 50 others).   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Backroads (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2013.

Interview

Had a video and a phone interview. The girl was very nice on the phone but many of the questions seemed to be hard to answer because I didn't know enough about what the job would be like. It seemed like if I had a friend who worked for them and prepped me for it I would've done better.

Interview Questions

• If someone in the group got really far ahead, what would you do?   Answer Question

Trip Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Backroads in April 2013.

Interview

The Backroads hiring event is a challenging day consisting of lots of public speaking and evaluations of your interpersonal and problem-solving skills based on situational cues. Other than the public speaking perhaps, it is not something you can really "study" or "prepare" for. You need to naturally project the leader image, conduct yourself professionally and approach solving people's problems as a capable and kind human being. Have fun with it and respect the other candidates in your group.

Interview Questions

• Silly group problem solving exercise that involves performing some arbitrary physical puzzle with an object as a team.   1 Answer

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backroads (Berkeley, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online at the recommendation of an existing employee. I received a call from the company asking if I would be interested and offering to setup an interview. I was brought in for an interview with the Director of Sales & Marketing or Sales & Support. In addition, a Senior Guest Services Rep was present. They had very structured questions, very specific to Backroads. I found some of them difficult to answer with no background in their procedures and policies. They all came from a check list the director had. The Senior Rep never spoke, smiled, or in any way participated. It was weird to know someone so cold was in a senior service role. There was an easy Math test. He said, "People ask if they can use a calculator. I guess you can but it's pretty easy." All of the questions were easy percentage conversions, exchange rates, and price differentials. Not using a calculator seemed like a pointless exercise. They said they'd get back to me the following Wednesday and the training would start the Monday after that. I indicated the short time frame would not work for me but would love to work there if they could adjust. I was called the on Tuesday. They had moved on with more qualified candidates.

Interview Questions

• An angry customer calls. They can't go on their trip. They want their money back. What do you do?   1 Answer