Baker McKenzie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baker McKenzie Interview Questions

Updated May 16, 2017

2.8

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Interview

Baker McKenzie is/was looking for a Corporate Paralegal in Chicago to assist with domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate reorganization projects, at least that's what the job posting both on Glassdoor and their own website said. Having an international profile, with experience as a business lawyer in Europe, this is a perfect match for me. So I wrote a nice cover letter. When I wanted to apply online, I got rerouted to an HR-tool (viDesktop) - but strangely enough, the Paralegal job wasn't listed in this tool. So no way for me to apply online.
    I supposed the vacancy had been filled in, but kept wondering why the job posting was still active both Glassdoor and their own website. So I gave them a call, just to be sure. Since there was no recruiter mentioned in the job posting, I called the main number of the Chicago office. The lady answering the phone said "that vacancy has probably been withdrawn or filled in". I told her I just wanted to make sure of that, if she could please put me through to the HR/recruiting department. She said she was not allowed to do that. I asked her for an email address of a recruiter, so I could maybe send an email, but she couldn't do that either. Is there a general email address where I can just send in my resume, for further reference maybe? nope, "all the information is available on our website".
    So I basically never got to even apply…

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie.

Interview

Two rounds: one with partner and associates and other with HR and partner. Basic interview questions. I applied online and received a call shortly after submitting application. I was asked a lot of questions about my experience and interest but nothing difficult. Thought the second interview was redundant.

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was very straight forward. I sent a cover letter and resume to HR and received a call within a few days. I interviewed first with HR and them with two attorneys separately on the same. All were very professional and informative about the position and the company. They describe the position and what they were looking for in the candidate and and simply asked if i can carry out the responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Why do you like this role, How do you feel about OT?   Answer Question

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie (Washington, DC).

Interview

Meet with HR first round. Second round with attorneys. There is no testing. Come prepare with salary requirements. You will likely get an offer below market. They like working with staffing agencies. Get on their roster for quicker access to opportunities.

Interview Questions

• They like to get to know you as a person and relative experience.   1 Answer

Senior Manager, Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

The hiring manager was clearly hiring for a different position than the one in the job description that everyone else (recruiters, HR, and would-be colleagues) was following. He created some alternate role based on a new idea that completely disregarded the posted job description. It was a waste of everyone's time, including mine.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview with managing partner and the partner of the area i applied for. The process is still going on, it can take many months since the opening of new positions can be very bureaucratic. You require different approvals (local, regional, world)

Interview Questions

• Summary of working experience and challenges faced in life.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie.

Interview

OCI interviews followed by an on-site interview. The day began with a lunch with two attorneys, but this portion wasn't technically part of the interviews--but it still felt like it! I interviewed with 6 attorneys, 3 partners and 3 associates. I received the phone call offering me the position roughly 5 hours later.

Interview Questions

• Describe your research methods. What are your interests in particular sub-groups? Why did you choose law school? Describe difficulties and challenges you had to overcome in your previous work positions. Each person asked if I had questions for them about their practice or the firm.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Registered online. Received an email from them for the Finance Manager position saying I was a match. I submitted my resume online. Received a call from HR and had a 20 minute phone interview. Was called back and went in for an interview with the Finance Director. The interview lasted 1 hour and seemed to go well. I never heard back. No email, phone call...nothing. I realize that many companies don't bother with getting back to candidates but I expected more from Baker & McKenzie. If you are interviewing for a support position (not a lawyer) be careful. I think they are a lower level firm based on my experience compared to the professional services firm that I currently work for.

Interview Questions

• Asked mainly about my current job responsibilities and how many people I manage.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Baker McKenzie (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

The process was incredibly intimadating. I was at the head of a long conference table in a floor to ceiling glass walled room overlooking Lake Michigan. I had to people sitting in either side of me and someone calling in on skype.

Interview Questions

• Thoughts on their website.   1 Answer

Corporate Lawyer Interview

Interview

Submitted application online, was first interviewed on the phone so that they can verify if your qualifications fit the job requirements and see if you are articulate. Once through that, I was then requested to come in for a personal interview. The personal interview was average in duration, about 30 minutes. The administrative staff are professional and polite.

Interview Questions

• What would you change in your last job?   1 Answer