Bettis Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bettis Laboratory Interview Questions

Interviews at Bettis Laboratory

2.6

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call a week or two later. Initial phone screening questions, nothing too difficult. Seems difficult to be able to move forward from the phone screening, as no hard-hitting or quality questions are asked at all.

Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homestead, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Homestead, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The process was easy, phone interview first, then set up and off site interview at Homestead. However the process did not work well that day. Fingerprint machine was not working and they said everyone would know the results in 2 weeks. Check back 4 weeks later and the interviews had just finished. Never heard anything afterwards. They treat you well, I just think they are overwhelmed. I have heard similar stories from others.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory in September 2013.

Interview

I applied for the aforementioned position via the official website for Bettis. Almost three months later, I received a phone call from a hiring manager asking if I was still interested in the position. We had a short interview over the phone and then a week later I was contacted to come in for an interview. My flight, hotel, and transportation were booked by Bettis and I was on my way. On the day of the interview, I met with an HR rep and two managers, each individually. Each session lasted about 30-60 minutes. After the interviews, I was taken to the airport. I flew in the night before and left immediately after the interview.

Interview Questions

• The majority of the questions were behavioral. They want to see how you handle yourself in certain situations.   Answer Question

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2010.

Interview

Interview process consisted of two interviews, one over the phone, and one on-sight. Initial interview consisted of basic questions regarding experience and education. Follow-on interview was performed under escort at the laboratory.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Mifflin, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (West Mifflin, PA) in July 2013.

Interview

Applied online. A month later, I received a call from the hiring manager. He discussed about the position and asked a little bit about my work experience. A week later an HR representative scheduled me for an on-site interview. They paid for my hotel and transportation. At the interview your HR rep will meet you first and discuss about the company, benefits, security clearance, etc. They will also give you forms for the drug test, physical exam, info about the relocation, etc. But these forms are to be filled out only when you have been extended an offer and you accepted the offer. Then you will have your picture and fingerprints taken just in case you will get an offer, this is to speed up the application process. After that, you will meet with the interviewer. My interview took about an hour with just the hiring manager, he discussed about their current projects and the things that the position will work on. As he discuss the project he asked me things on how am I going to solve those problems, it was mostly about how will I attack and solve a problem. There were some awkward moments when the interviewer didn't have anymore questions for me because HR scheduled the interview for an hour and a half and we pretty much covered everything in the interview in just about an hour. After that they will tell you the usual yadda yadda we will call you in two weeks. Then a car will be waiting outside of the company to take you back to the airport.

I suggest you get in touch with them in two weeks because I believe they really don't contact the applicant if he/she didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• Just review the job description and concentrate on the things that you have done before that relates to the preferred qualifications of the position. They are mostly interested in how you are going to solve a problem than the behavioral stuff. Also, if you can bring a sample of your previous work/projects that would really help.   Answer Question

Line Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Idaho Falls, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Idaho Falls, ID) in September 2010.

Interview

I talked with the guys from Bettis lab at our university career fair, and it went well enough to get a call back later in the day. The interview was on-campus, and it involved 2, 30-min interviews with two managers at Bettis. They were very friendly and asked behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone interview first, which consisted of the manager explaining the infrastructure of the company as well as me detailing my resume, skills and current occupational interests. Subsequently, we scheduled an on-site interview which consisted of a presentation of previous graduate research and one-on-one interviews with the site managers and the human resource person. Most individuals explained more about the company and what type of research the company performs and asked questions of my background and skills. A laboratory tour was given and I was able to meet and question the current group members. I was also able to meet the director of the entire facility. Overall, it was a great interview experience and I would recommend interviewing at this company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate. If you have previous experience working there, then that may be grounds for negotiation.

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Mifflin, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (West Mifflin, PA).

Interview

You will be invited to an off-site interview with a group of students. Some will be visiting from other cities. You will meet the manager for the group you will work in. Some people will meet multiple managers if they qualify for multiple positions. After the interview, you can rank the positions by preference such that HR can accommodate everyone's interests.

Interview Questions

• Are you an active member in any professional societies or clubs? If so, how do you participate?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very formal. A call from HR will include a wage with a job offer. You can always call back with a decision.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview

When offered an in-person interview, I asked the recruiter if I could stay a day or two after to explore and learn more about the area, as the area is more of a draw for me than the job itself. They offered a shuttle service from the airport, I said I had wanted to rent a car. That request was met with "on your own dime", well okay, whatever. I went through their travel agency to book a flight and the agent wouldn't expand the travel dates (even though I offered to cover the hotel) because it "wasn't authorized" by the recruiter. Frustrated, I didn't fiddle with it. I would have driven there if I had time... Anyway so the interview.... They schedule like 20-30 other interviews simultaneously with you offsite in a hotel so be prepared to be crammed into a little conference room for the orientation. Weirdest venue for an interview ever. They also give you a huge packet of paperwork(harbinger of things to come?) and let you know it will be over half a year before you could get a security clearance and start working there. I will say though, I kept an open mind and in the end of the orientation was rather impressed with the company. Then we we're sent to a little hotel room to function as our own interview location. Okay. Weird again. Towards the end of the interview I felt rather impressed and welcome on the team. If I get an offer, I will probably accept it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in which a customer changed their mind about what they wanted during the development process. how did you react?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for about 14 different positions at Bettis throughout my final year of my graduate degree (Nuclear Engineering), as Bettis is a leader in nuclear design and engineering and seemed like a good place to work from what little information I could find about them. I was contacted via phone about 2-3 months after applying online for the specific positions the hiring managers were contacting me about to bring me in for an interview. They offered to pay for all expenses for the interview and brought me to a hotel in Pittsburgh were they had brought about 40+ other people (over 2 days) in to interview for various positions. It started out with a presentation about Bettis, and they did an excellent job at selling the company, very appealing work environment overall. Then they had us go to various hotel rooms which they took the beds out of and replaced with a desk and chairs and whichever managers had scheduled an interview with us (most people had 2-3) would come in at scheduled times to talk with us for 45 minutes. The interviews were more so discussions than they were technical or difficult interview, I'm guessing that they brought us in because we have the credentials to work at the lab, but the interviews are more so to see where we would be a good fit. Both interviews I had were very enjoyable discussions, I would have loved to work for either, but I also got to rank which group I wanted to work with so that would be taken into account as well if I were to be brought on. Talking with other interviewees afterwards, they all had similar experiences. If I got an offer, I would almost for sure take it.

One word of caution though, all of the jobs at Bettis (I think) require some sort of security clearance, which means if hired, you will need to wait a few months before you can start working, so if money is an issue, they will not be very helpful in between the job offer and you getting your security clearance and being able to work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No option to negotiate