Bettis Laboratory Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.6

Multi-Disciplinary Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Mifflin, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (West Mifflin, PA).

Interview

Applied online through the company website. Within 2 weeks I received an email stating an interest of a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 40 minutes, and hiring manager explained the position, expectations and asked common situational interview questions. Following the phone interview I was invited for an on site interview nearly 2 weeks later. Company paid for flights and lodging. However, if you are interviewing at the West Mifflin site, the hotel the company has you stay in no longer offers shuttle service to the site, which was not explained prior. Had to rent a last minute uber to get to the interview on time.

During the interview, I met with 3 people. I met first with an HR rep who explained the lab's benefits package, then a potential coworker, and finally the hiring manager. Explanation of the role was ambiguous despite several questions, meanwhile all three candidates asked several stress test interview questions. The whole feel of the interview was odd. The interview took place in a storage room at the security station, since candidates do not usually have a DOE clearance which restricts site access. Additionally, hiring manager and coworker seemed extremely nervous and uncomfortable. After the interview I had to arrange for transportation back to the hotel since the shuttle service was inexplicably not working, which was a herculean task since cell phones are restricted on site.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to handle an emergency and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What do you like best and least about engineering?   Answer Question
    • This position requires a high attention to detail. Can you describe a situation which demonstrates your attention to detail?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for about 14 different positions at Bettis throughout my final year of my graduate degree (Nuclear Engineering), as Bettis is a leader in nuclear design and engineering and seemed like a good place to work from what little information I could find about them. I was contacted via phone about 2-3 months after applying online for the specific positions the hiring managers were contacting me about to bring me in for an interview. They offered to pay for all expenses for the interview and brought me to a hotel in Pittsburgh were they had brought about 40+ other people (over 2 days) in to interview for various positions. It started out with a presentation about Bettis, and they did an excellent job at selling the company, very appealing work environment overall. Then they had us go to various hotel rooms which they took the beds out of and replaced with a desk and chairs and whichever managers had scheduled an interview with us (most people had 2-3) would come in at scheduled times to talk with us for 45 minutes. The interviews were more so discussions than they were technical or difficult interview, I'm guessing that they brought us in because we have the credentials to work at the lab, but the interviews are more so to see where we would be a good fit. Both interviews I had were very enjoyable discussions, I would have loved to work for either, but I also got to rank which group I wanted to work with so that would be taken into account as well if I were to be brought on. Talking with other interviewees afterwards, they all had similar experiences. If I got an offer, I would almost for sure take it.

One word of caution though, all of the jobs at Bettis (I think) require some sort of security clearance, which means if hired, you will need to wait a few months before you can start working, so if money is an issue, they will not be very helpful in between the job offer and you getting your security clearance and being able to work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No option to negotiate

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview

When offered an in-person interview, I asked the recruiter if I could stay a day or two after to explore and learn more about the area, as the area is more of a draw for me than the job itself. They offered a shuttle service from the airport, I said I had wanted to rent a car. That request was met with "on your own dime", well okay, whatever. I went through their travel agency to book a flight and the agent wouldn't expand the travel dates (even though I offered to cover the hotel) because it "wasn't authorized" by the recruiter. Frustrated, I didn't fiddle with it. I would have driven there if I had time... Anyway so the interview.... They schedule like 20-30 other interviews simultaneously with you offsite in a hotel so be prepared to be crammed into a little conference room for the orientation. Weirdest venue for an interview ever. They also give you a huge packet of paperwork(harbinger of things to come?) and let you know it will be over half a year before you could get a security clearance and start working there. I will say though, I kept an open mind and in the end of the orientation was rather impressed with the company. Then we we're sent to a little hotel room to function as our own interview location. Okay. Weird again. Towards the end of the interview I felt rather impressed and welcome on the team. If I get an offer, I will probably accept it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in which a customer changed their mind about what they wanted during the development process. how did you react?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator (Entry Level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homestead, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Homestead, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

The Interview was held off-campus at a hotel in the waterfront. The process lasted 5 hours. My fingerprints were taken and I had four different interviews with different pairs of people. The interview process was very intense. Each pair of people spent about 45 minutes with me. Little to no break in-between interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a group policy prevented you from completing a task the way you normally would.   Answer Question

Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homestead, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Homestead, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The process was easy, phone interview first, then set up and off site interview at Homestead. However the process did not work well that day. Fingerprint machine was not working and they said everyone would know the results in 2 weeks. Check back 4 weeks later and the interviews had just finished. Never heard anything afterwards. They treat you well, I just think they are overwhelmed. I have heard similar stories from others.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview

I applied online after the company participated in a Fall college career fair (September-October). I got a phone interview in early to mid January. This was very easy going! They asked about my technical writing skills, leadership, etc. Then I got a call to travel done to stay in a hotel a week and a half later. I stayed in a Hampton Inn near Waterfront mall (paid for by Bettis). Everything for the interviews happen at the hotel. The morning started by watching a presentation at 7:30 with interviews starting at 9:00. There were about 20-25 people at the event being interviewed for different positions. I had a total of six interviews, each being 40 minutes long. These took place in a hotel room that was assigned to you. The interviewers came to you. The "interview room" only had a table, a few chairs, and some lamps. All interviews were very easy going. Each started by telling me what they did and what their group did. Then they went through your resume and asked you about what is on it. Mine was school projects, capstone design project, extra-curricular activities, etc. After all of your interviews, you are asked to rank the interviews based on which you would rather work with. This is great because interviews go both ways. You are also interviewing the company to see if it is a great fit for you. They take your input into consideration. Employment is subject to the passing of a urine drug test and security clearance.

Interview Questions

• Talk about projects you have done. It was more conversational than a Q & A.   Answer Question

Applied Technologies Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview

Online application submitted; about 1-2 months after initial application, a phone call will be received to ask about additional qualifications. If you satisfy initial questions, you will be asked to come to a location to interview directly for the position. You will then have a 2-3 week period before hearing feedback from the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a co-worker incorrectly evaluating a situation?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call a week or two later. Initial phone screening questions, nothing too difficult. Seems difficult to be able to move forward from the phone screening, as no hard-hitting or quality questions are asked at all.

Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bettis Laboratory (Pullman, WA) in October 2013.

Interview

First made contact with company at career fair. I discussed openings in the company and duties required for the positions. Was asked to interview the next day. Started by meeting with HR and discussed security clearance check and what happens next if offered a position. 30 minute interview, very easy going with 2 representatives from Bettis.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond if a technician was pushing a solution or plan forward that you believed to have an error/mistake?   Answer Question

Career Fait Interview

Interview

Basic Questions, very easy going review. Made me feel at ease.