Bigelow Aerospace Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bigelow Aerospace Interview Questions

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace (East Las Vegas, NV) in April 2017.

Interview

Its scheduled to be later today. I don't know yet the questions I will have during this interview process. But I'm trying to get more information on how are this process is being handled previously.

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace.

Interview

First is the Initial screen. This is followed by a test and questionnaire. Test asked about electrical schematic identifications and gauge accuracy. Then there was a Video conference interview, Then an on site interview. Company only pays for half of travel costs.

Interview Questions

• when would you use PSIA transducer instead of PSIG?   Answer Question
    • questions basically around if Mr Bigelow asked you to do something, would you, even if not the normal practice.   Answer Question

I read the reviews on here. The PTO policy around holidays, and the guys who were laid off earlier in the year on their first day were major factors in declining. I mean who wants to move their family half way across the country only to be laid off on your first day? I wasn't going to take that kind of risk.

Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace.

Interview

Asked to fill out application. Asked for SSN, DOB and whether you have medical insurance. As others have indicated this is unlawful.Asked to answer senseless question in handwriting. Then asked to type. Corporate recruiter said I was being discussed as a serious candidate and asked to call my references. During call with one reference, the CEO of a major corporation, she told him I was no longer being considered for job. He called me before she did and told me what she said. She said he was "rude" for telling me. Corporate recruiter is witless and lacks common sense. Heed what others have said and stay away---especially stay clear of the corporate recruiter there!

Interview Questions

• Questions that showed no understanding of the job---unless it was for stock boy.   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter with Bigelow regarding the position. When I indicated my interest, I was told I would need to pass a quiz on my engineering aptitude with at least 70% correct. I was provided the quiz via email and told to reply within 24 hours. I also was provided an employment application.

The quiz consisted of 12 questions. I submitted the quiz and application to the recruiter, who contacted me a day later informing me I had passed the quiz and was invited to schedule a telephone interview with the manager. While scheduling the interview, the recruiter said she needed to discuss recent changes to the interview process before confirming. She called me back several hours later to tell me that the process had changed and I would not be interviewing with the manager. Also, she told me that Bigelow would only be contacting former managers or supervisors as references.

Instead, I was requested to complete a 4 page interview questionnaire consisting of 25 questions. It was also requested I complete the questionnaire by hand and email a scanned copy of my responses. After emailing my response, the recruiter contacted me again to ask whether the contact information for my previous supervisors were correct.

It was another week before I received any further communication. When the recruiter finally contacted me, she informed me she had attempted to contact my previous supervisors and that she would need their responses before I could interview with the owner. She also informed me that the owner had reviewed the candidates' qualifications in the past week, and the owner felt I would be better suited for a newly created lead engineer position. Also, the salary would be less than my lowest expectations. When I asked whether I would have the opportunity to interview with other engineers or managers, she told me she didn't know. She said that the owner was only doing interviews right now and that I should ask him whether I would have that opportunity during my interview with him.

She sent me a copy of the newly created job req via email. At this point, I responded via email to inform her I would like to remove my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• What is/was the workload like at your previous/present position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent time when you had a substantial disagreement with your
      direct supervisor. How was it resolved?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the last time you made a significant mistake. What did you learn from
      the experience?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if the priorities on a project you were working on changed
      suddenly?   Answer Question
    • If we talked to your last supervisor, what do you think he/she would say? What
      would he/she say about your outstanding qualities? What shortcomings would
      he/she probably point out?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer/Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter saying that I had the experience that they needed for a manager position. I had a telephone interview that went well. The questions were typical. Nothing technical was asked. After asking about the hiring process, I was surprised to learn the phone interview was basically it. If I advanced, I would have a phone interview with Mr. Bigelow. I would have thought an in person visit would be of value. What this told me as a candidate was that they weren't too concerned with "selling the company to me" but rather, treating this interview in more of a self serving capacity. (This was the first red-flag I saw). I asked a lot of questions about management, it's philosophy and style. I got the impression that there are upper management issues and that there was likely turnover in these positions. (red-flag #2). The Layoff was mentioned- I was told that managers were being hired that had a better understanding that "time is money". This told me that executives in the company were not supporting managers and therefore the company as a whole. (Red flag #3) I was definitely told about the free cookies and coffee... but because I now work for a start up that gives it's employee not only that but breakfast and lunch, I dismissed the cookies. I withdrew from being a candidate because of the red-flags.

Interview Questions

• They did ask me specifically how many people I hired as a manager as well as how many I had to lay off and fire.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2016.

Interview

Long drawn. Face to face; and they din't pay for travel expenses. All models no real products. No real customers. Made a mistake by joining them. Now we are out; so we ask you to stay out or be prepared to worst time of your life.

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace (Las Vegas, NV) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied over two years ago to Bigelow. Conducted a phone interview and got a rejection email within two weeks. Saw Bigelow ads time-to-time and never applied. Then I get a call from H.R. (actually this is a recruiting specialist qualified, but prohibited from performing the professional duties of an H.R. administrator.) She asks questions about my background and explains the Bigelow way of doing things. I fill out and send back the completed application. During the phone call and on the application I point out I did little analysis and directed them to my online portfolio that shows the type of work I am capable of doing. Three weeks go by with an email explaining hiring managers are busy with a project. I get it, interviewing is not at the top of their ToDo list. Then I get an email from H.R. with an attachment for a Minimum Qualifications Test. First couple of questions about friction, angular accelerations and stresses are easy enough. There was a question about displacement in terms on natural logs, find the velocity and acceleration equations. I thought to integrate, Wrong, find the derivative. So, though I could be directed how to perform analysis, I failed, "good luck in your search".

Interview Questions

• Do you have insurance? Can you pay for half the airfare for an interview? Do you have analysis experience? Have you worked with gears, cams, springs, linkages, electronic packaging and elecrtomechanical systems?   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace (Las Vegas, NV) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied online in June. Phone interview with an engineering manager in August: pretty simple stuff, going over my resume, that kind of thing. They flew me out in November and paid for half the plane ticket.

The "campus" (read: "compound") is built like a fortress. I had to provide two forms of ID to get in, and I had to leave all electronic devices in a locker at the gate. I was met by an HR recruiter, who talked with me about the company and benefits for about an hour. A few red flags in this conversation, mostly because of the things I've read here, like throwaway comments about the insurance being bad and Mr. Bigelow being an arbitrary and capricious boss. I expected to have a few rounds of technical interviews afterwards, but nope, the HR rep just offered me a job on the spot.

No technical interview. Mr. Bigelow has decided, it was explained to me, that his engineering managers were spending too much time interviewing and not enough time working, so he removed them from the hiring loop. All hiring decisions are made by HR, with Mr. Bigelow personally reviewing each prospective employee's resume before they push the button. It should be noted the Robert Bigelow has, according to Wikipedia, a degree in "banking and real estate." After a few minutes of begging, I was finally allowed to talk to the least senior engineer in the department with the recruiter in the room. The engineer was perfectly nice, and she seemed smart--a recent Stanford grad--but had only been working for three weeks and couldn't tell me anything substantive about the company, especially not with regard to some of the ridiculously bad horror stories I've seen here on Glassdoor. Offer declined.

Oh, and did I mention they didn't provide an offer letter? Verbal offers only. It's company policy, apparently.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

My interviewers were late and they mostly asked me questions that were already answered on my resume. For example, how many years did I work for a previous employer... which was clearly written on the resume and also answered on the online application and the redundant written application that I asked me to scan and email back to them. (As another review pointed out, they ask you to check your Race/Ethnicity without the option of "Prefer Not to Answer" which I thought was shady.)

The interviewers also made no real effort to sell the company to me. The rattled off some facts that could already be found on their website and didn't even give a tour of any part of their facilities. I was surprised to receive a job offer, but I declined mainly because how the company is funded.

The company has almost no outside contracts and is entirely funded by the owner's profits from his real estate development business. Robert Bigelow is only a real estate developer with no science background whatsoever. And the company is his pet project which he dictates at all levels.

This is not a smart way to run an aerospace company. If you look up former employee profiles on Linked In, you'll notice that many people worked there less than a year. I wouldn't recommend to any scientists or engineers.

Project Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bigelow Aerospace (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2015.

Interview

It was professional. The interview lasted 2 and half hours. I mostly talked about what I did at current job. I think he was impressed by the questions he was asking. I explained that I understood the engineering process along with the supply chain process to compress schedules.