Bitovi Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Bitovi

Sort:

Javascript Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bitovi in June 2016.

Interview

Tests you on Javascript theory in very in depth format. They don't care about HTML/CSS but only JS. It's not a real front end developer experience because you are only asked a very narrow topic but in very details.

Interview Questions

• To do well on this interview, all you have to do is watch that video on Frontend Masters. I'm a very experienced developer with 6+ years doing frontend development. I have built, scaled and maintained applications scratch, cleaned up other people's poorly written code. Even though one of my applications is being used by 5M+ users, I did not pass this interview. This approach to qualifying candidates this way is very elitist. Even though the developer I interviewed with had less experience than me when it comes to building a comprehensive and scalable applications, I didn't do well on the phone interview.

I feel that most of the JS concepts that was asked is very deep in theory but not something you use in practice. To do well, all you need to do is watch 9hr video from Frontend Masters. If you are a recent college grad and have time to watch that video and read the theory on Javascript, you will do well. This is why they are able to hire mostly college grads. However, even if you watch that video and know the basics on Javascript, it doesn't make you a good front end developer. In their video, they mentioned that there's one concept that 99% of FE developers don't know, which is true. It is also very elitist to say that makes a good FE.

Also, it seems that they are consultants to teach companies how to build Javascript applications, but they themselves don't write much code for their clients. They tell their clients how to write code, but they don't do it themselves. They also aren't experts with CSS, HTML5 or most modern libraries, such as AngularJS or React. So you have to decide whether this is the kind of experience you want to acquire over the course of your career. If you work for Bitovi, all you gain is theoretical experience and not practical experience, does it help your career?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bitovi (Chicago, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Interview process included a brief chat with a Bitovi developer. After, I worked on a JavaScript programming exercise. After that, I spoke again with another Bitovi developer for a pair programming session to work on a basic JavaScript problem. Finally, I interviewed in Chicago with the CEO and CTO along with three other developers.

Interview Questions

• How would you create a UI that allows users to select filters from a combo box component as well as a date range from a date slider component and display graphical results in a bar chart area.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bitovi (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process was spread out over weeks, with 3 phone interviews before a long on-site day in Chicago. The interviews were a pretty standard sequence of culture fit, technical interview, and general career discussions.

The process before the onsite involved several periods of silence for more than a week, and it took a while before they got back to me after the onsite.

The onsite involved mostly pair-programming tasks, including string manipulation, DOM knowledge, and advanced Javascript, as well as a general culture fit meeting with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• Can you draw the relationships between the various parts of Javascript's object oriented system? (the value of "this", Class.prototype vs __proto__, what "new" does, etc).   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They offered a better salary than what I had and I accepted.

JavaScript Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bitovi (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Pretty ridiculous interview. They wanted to do a web interview. I replied that my computer didn't have a microphone. They didn't bother responding, so I figured that was okay. I got on the interview and and my interviewer was all "What you don't have a microphone, I don't know what to do!" So I got on the phone. The interview focused on making diagrams and stuff. I'm not really good with all this Visio type stuff, so I didn't really get it. They asked how to implement the inheritance of a strongly typed language, like Java, in JavaScript. The answer involves calling the function that serves as the constructor of the super type in the constructor of the child type and then setting the prototype of the child type equal to the parent constructor. I tend not to remember all this stuff because frameworks like Backbone will do it for you, and also because JavaScript is duck-typed, so you can use the _.extend method from lodash or underscore. and if you don't rely on instanceof, you'd be fine.

Interview Questions

• Who do you simulate Java-type inheritance in JavaScript? Draw some Visio diagrams to explain it.   2 Answers

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bitovi (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone call, then a 1 hour coding test via screen share, and lastly I flew out to Chicago and had multiple hours of live coding challenges directly in front of the founders.

It was the most intense interview I’ve ever had, but I understand and respect the reasoning for it.

Interview Questions

• If I had experience or knowledge of their own open source products.   Answer Question