Boston Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 1, 2017

3.2

Grant Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dorchester, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Dorchester, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Originally I had applied for another position in the Health and Wellness Department, but that position was filled. So a few weeks later I received an email asking if I would be interested in applying for another position that they thought would be a good fit for me. I excitedly said yes! I was sent an assignment to complete, which I did and was then invited in for an interview.
    This was by far the WORST interview I have been on! I arrived a little early and was sitting in the office when I heard two ladies discussing the candidate they just finished interviewing for the same position. One of the interviewers stated: "I really like her, she's a great candidate! She will make a great addition to the A Team". A few minutes later I was taken in for my interview and needless to say those comments completely threw me off! I'm not sure why THEY asked me to apply in the first place, probably so they could boost their interview numbers.
    This was the most humiliating and unprofessional interviews I have experienced!

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain how I approached and completed my assignments   Answer Question

Boston Public Schools Teaching Fellowship - ESL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was soon granted a phone interview. A BPS teacher conducted it by calling me on the day and at the time promised. She seemed like a savvy veteran, but told me right off she could not answer any questions about the job, etc. and that I had to use the Fellowship email address that is slow to give replies. We were done in 20 minutes.
    I didn't think I did very well on the telephone interview, but was still chosen for an in-person interview. By the time I got back online to pick an interview day (the time was chosen for us), there were two options available; I have no way of knowing if other slots were filled before I could see them.
    The interviews were held in a high school after hours, so we got to see an actual environment in which we might soon be working, minus the people. Everyone I met, other applicants included, was upbeat and professional. There were 15-20 candidates. We grouped ourselves together according to the topics we chose to present and practiced our teaching demos, then critiqued each others' performances. Then we were split up into new groups so that no one had the same topic as anyone else in his group, and each group was taken to a different classroom. In my room were two BPS teachers who ran the process and a third person who was ignored while she constantly typed silently into a laptop. I assumed she was HR.
    We were told we were not competing against each other and to be a good "class" for each other. We gave our teaching demos. Some candidates used handouts and some others used visual aids. I think one used both.
    Next, we were carefully instructed in pairs about a specific way to engage the "students", then each one of us gave a shortened version of our original demo but included the new method. It was up to us which part of our demo to reuse. Then we were released, about 30 minutes early. When we left, it looked like all the groups of candidates were released with us.

All questions were headed off with "Any questions, use the email address we provided you...." The BPS people carefully avoided letting us know how many Fellowship positions were available, both overall and within each specialization. I wonder if anyone at all was hired. Also, even though I learned a lot from the process and from extrapolating from the reading material they gave us (I read all 452 pages of Teach Like a Champion 2.0 due to noticing something from the first version in our preparation packet), you know I'm going to give a poor overall rating because I failed the interview. That's just how it goes.

If I could provide some insight to management, here it would be: A little back-and-forth would be appreciated. It's normal at interviews to be able to ask questions so we can give focused replies and determine for ourselves if we have what you are looking for. I clearly did not have what you wanted, and if you hadn't played your cards so close to the vest, I may have figured that out before spending hundreds of dollars traveling to attend the in-person interview. Also, it's mean but I have to laugh that "plagiarism" was misspelled on a classroom display. I'm sure that teacher is pretty good, but he/she can't spell. Why not walk through the facility and just check on the impression you are giving? The cleanliness level was excellent, the atmosphere amongst the staff was great, but I wonder about the kids who think "plagarism" is bad.

Interview Questions

• What I bring to BPS. (This was during the telephone interview. During the in-person interview, they didn't ask us any questions; they just had us give our five-minute teaching demonstration.)   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools in October 2015.

Interview

Quick ....met with principal, checked references and i was hired. Had to do s little following up after i submitted my application. However once i made contact things moved fast.

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed at various schools. One last year, the interview was good but they embellished the day-to-day reality. The last interview for a different school this year was much better and more professional in the sense that not only the administration but also the teachers, the parents and the students were represented at the interview.

Spanish Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was rather standard. I was contacted by the head of the World Languages department and we set up a time and place to meet. We talked about the rigors of the job, my experiences, her experiences, and what the demographics of the district meant in terms of trying to reach all students.

Interview Questions

• How I could engage parents in order to make them feel welcomed in the school community.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation because the salary is collectively bargained.

Data Inquiry Facilitator Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools.

Interview

I submitted a resume and cover letter and was invited for a phone interview within a couple of days. The phone interview was with two people the director of Data inquiry and another facilitator. They asked pretty standard interview questions (e.g. successes, failures, descriptions of myself, etc.). I was sent an performance task within a few days which I was to complete within two days. The task consisted of manipulating an excel workbook of student standardized test scores in order to be better digested by teachers; creating a visualization of the the workbook (graph); and noting themes from the data. I was invited to an in person interview for which I had to prepare to facilitate a professional development session with teachers based on the data in the performance task. The interview was with several superintendents and the data inquiry team. I was also given a case study and asked to reflect on it and then role played based on the case. I was then had a final interview with a superintendent that led the Office of Data and Accountability. This was very basic and informal.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to lead people with more experience than you and a time that you were led by people with less experience than you and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Middle School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was painless and straight forward. Not as daunting as some experiences can be.
    I met one on one with the principal and we talked about the school, and the current work environment. Then I talked about my experience as a teacher, my philosophy of education, and some things I hoped to get out of the experience.
    After the initial interview, I had to meet again with co-teachers and talk about what the year might look like. We ended up having a lot to talk about and had a great experience sharing ideas about what the school day might look like.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

They call, you come for an interview, you teach a class. It is a rewarding experience to meet the students you might be working with and you're able to get a sense for the work in the classroom.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in April 2014.

Interview

2 interviews, sample lesson. I had a half hour phone Interview. I was asked about my previous teaching experience. I had a one on one interview then a panel. There were 5 set questions they asked everyone. I had a demo lesson. I had to teach a lesson in a classroom. That was nerve wracking!

Dean of Students Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Boston Public Schools (Boston, MA) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview was very straight forward. If you have experience working with students outside of school then you should mention that and give examples of difficulties, dealing with parents, teachers, or administration. Knowing people who already work within the school system helps also because each school's staff carries a different culture.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an unresponsive parent?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The job is set up so that you will enter at a good pay grade and then receive a raise every year.