Burns & Wilcox Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Burns & Wilcox Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

2.8

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview

There were three rounds of interviews. The first was a phone interview with an HR representative. Then I had an onsite with the Underwriting Manager. Finally I had an interview with the VP.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Overall a pretty good interview process with four stages: 30 minute phone interview, 1 hour in-person interview with underwriting team, 30 minute in-person interview with senior executives, then 30 minute interview with the CEO Mr. Kaufman. Mr. Kaufman was a little intimidating but he's a lawyer so it was expected. Questions weren't too difficult. I liked the company and the people I met with. I would've taken the offer but I took another one with better pay and benefits.

Interview Questions

• What did you do specifically in your internship where you made your mark that another person wouldn't have done?
      How do you stay organized?

Personal Lines Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Roseville, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very quick to schedule an in-person interview. Basic questions about situations and experience. Seemed desperate to hire someone ASAP. The hiring manager was all about "do you know how important we are in the insurance world? We are making tons of $$$$$$$ and it is awesome. He was not able to answer questions about work-life balance or how the other co-workers enjoyed their job. About a week later received an email saying I was not being considered any longer. Perhaps I came off too informed about the industry. Maybe they are looking for someone who is new and doesn't have any knowledge of how to submit new business? I don't understand.

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, Quick 10 minute interview with HR, followed by an hour phone caller with SVP, Then interview at the office where I met with lead underwriter HR and other assistants.

Interview Questions

• Time you made a mistake and how you fixed it.
      Do you prefer clear guidelines or flexibility in problem solving.

Underwriter III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Carmel, IN) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with department head. Separate HR interview. 2 in person group interviews all with senior managers. Required application filled out, 3 business references and credit and background check..

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Phone interview for several hours, trip to Corp HQ, Visit to remote office. Very long process.
    Each visit was a full day of interviews. AJK seems to involve the management team in a good way. Expectations for that you need to prepare for an interview a bit out of step with the market.
    Very long process

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Wilmington, NC) in December 2015.

Interview

2 interview rounds and I'm waiting to hear back. Very conversational no hard questions. Personality gauge not many behavioral questions. Brought in associate underwriters to describe job scope. Very nice people. Second interview is more about company culture.

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in October 2015.

Interview

Email correspondences and a quick phone call for additional details and the interview date. During the interview, I spent the first few minutes with the VP/Manager going over my background and what I knew about the company and position. Later on, he invited the underwriter whom the position reported to along with the other assistant underwriter. In short, the interview was a information session regarding the company, the position, and what the underwriter expected. That was about 75% of the time. The manager was surprised that I didn't have more questions at the end of the process but I exhausted all my prepared and on the spot questions during the conversation. I asked about the time frame of the their hiring process and he told me that it could take up to one month and that I shouldn't worry if I don't hear back any time soon. I had a feeling that I wasn't going to be considered at that point since the team and the manager stressed that they needed someone ASAP during the interview. 24 hours later, I got an automated thank you for your time email. Overall, the interview was fine, I learned a lot about the industry and the position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

The actual interview process was quite normal. I had a phone interview followed by a face to face panel interview. After the panel interview, I spoke with the CFO and the head of human resources on the phone. I was told by them that people would receive offers within the next two business days.

Not only did I not receive an offer, I did not get any sort of rejection letter either. I tried multiple times getting a hold of the right people to find out the status of my application. I left a professional voice message and sent an email to the human resource representative I was in most contact with during this entire process. Even after contacting multiple times, I received no response whatsoever.

I am disappointed by the lack of professionalism by this company. At the very least, they owed me a proper rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• What do we owe you as an employer?
      Tell me about yourself?

Burns & Wilcox Response

Sep 28, 2015 – Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write about your candidate experience with Kaufman Financial Group. We are deeply displeased to hear about the lack of communication between you and our employees ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with operations manager and the underwriting manager first. They asked basic questions about my strengths, past occupations, what activities I participate in (such as student organizations), and about my education. They seemed to want to gauge my personality more than question what they could already see on my resume.

Afterwards, I was allowed to ask them questions. I wanted to know more about the job scope and what a typical day being and assistant underwriter would be like. They then brought in two assistant underwriters that I was able to question and garner a deeper understanding of job roles.

They will also help further your education with classes at a local university and at Kaplan.

Interview Questions

Burns & Wilcox Response

Sep 28, 2015 – Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your interview experience at Burn & Wilcox. We are pleased to hear that the interview was positive.