CAL POLY Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 11, 2018

2.3

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Simple, 1 on 3 interview process from current employees

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CAL POLY in August 2013.

Interview

Committee of three interviewers. Emphasis was on behavioral questions. They took turn asking questions. Jotted notes as I spoke. Casual feel matched the vision/mission of the department. Approximately 45 minutes long.

Interview Questions

• They provided a busy scenario and asked me how I would respond to the situation and prioritize the needs.   Answer Question

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Submit application online. Contacted for interview 6 weeks later. 4-person panel interview. 1 round.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none. completely locked in, with no room to negotiate.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cal Poly SLO, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CAL POLY (Cal Poly SLO, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

You reply to an email that mentions an opening. Whoever responds first and meets qualifications gets the job. Once the hours for the classes are decided you are contacted again and asked which time works best.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at CAL POLY (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

general phone interview with four search committee members / explained research agenda / asked teaching & research & relevant professional experience / explained details about the recent publications/ it took me around 30 minutes

It is a teaching university, so they were more interested in my teaching experience than my research work or research skills.

Q&A time after the interview.
    Prepare for relevant questions

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

By Committee and seem to be truly interested in making sure that first employee is competent but the subjective do they like you and will you be a team player are looked at.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want the position.   1 Answer

Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CAL POLY.

Interview

My interview was done over the phone, I spoke to three faculty members for about 15 minutes. They asked me general questions like what my teaching philosophy is, what my long term goals are as an academic, and to describe to them how an average class of mine would go. They also asked if I used any in-class technologies like clickers, masteringphysics, or simulations.

Interview Questions

• How do I deal with trouble makers, what's an example of a difficult situation in a classroom that I've handled, or a situation that I wish had gone better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because this was a lecturer position, I was not able to negotiate a salary.

Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

"Hi Professor [Redacted], do you need a student assistant this quarter."
    "Hello [Redacted], yes, a grader would be great!"
    "Okay, what do you need me to do."
    "[Redacted] will send you an email when you are added to the payroll."
    "Cool. Have a nice day."

Interview Questions

• Can you grade these in three hours?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

First applied through email (sent resume), then got a phone interview in which they tell me if I got the job in a few days. Questions were fairly simple, they just wanted to know more about me and if I would fit in with the rest of the employees.

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

It was really relaxed and simple. They just want to see if you can look professional enough and hold a conversation. There wasn't anything difficult or stressful about it. Usually they just need a little extra help with managing offices. You come into the office and will meet whoever you will be working under. They will probably have your resume printed out just to ask some simple questions to get a better understanding of what you've done in the past.