CAL POLY Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CAL POLY Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2017

2.2

Event Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CAL POLY.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Just a phone call after emailing in regarding interest. Phone call lasted less than ten minutes.Don't know what else to say about this interview process as it was so simple and easy or straightforward process.

Student Solutions Facilitator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Application filed. Called back for interview within three weeks of application. 90 minute job interview with a panel of four where we went through a slate of 15 questions, several of them with multiple parts. All were geared around my experience and education and how those factors were applicable to bullet points in the job description.

Interview Questions

• Since part of this job pertains to customer service excellence, give an example of a situation where the customer/client was unhappy but through your efforts, their experience improved? Looking back on this example, what would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CAL POLY.

Interview

It was a good experience and had a great time during the process. Wish I was more available for a different time and date, but the office and myself were extremely busy. I learned a lot from this experience mostly just stay calm and find some common ground to speak on and loosen the tension in the room.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you turned on your car and nothing happened?   2 Answers

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

By Committee and seem to be truly interested in making sure that first employee is competent but the subjective do they like you and will you be a team player are looked at.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want the position.   1 Answer

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CAL POLY (San Luis Obispo, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

First, there was a 30-45min phone interview with a panel of 4 people. I was called back to come to the campus, however, was scheduled 3 weeks after the phone interview. The interview was 1/2 a day and had a one on one with the hiring manager, questions with the panel, questions with the staff, a presentation, more questions and then a lunch. It was a long day but they made you feel very comfortable (very conversational) and had a lot of opportunity to ask questions and get to know the staff. They really seemed to take the time to really get to know you and see if you would be a good fit for their team. They seemed like a very close group that worked well together. huge emphasis on "team"-- which is great. I was asked (based on my background) questions about how I could implement a certain program with all the issues surrounding it...I will admit I was taken back a little because I wasn't expecting a question like this....in order to really answer I would have to know more about how their advising works/the school and why there is so much "negative" surrounding this particular program... I was a little upset I couldn't provide a straight..."this is how we are going to do it answer"....

Interview Questions

• Behavioral...tell me about a time when?.... how to you prepare for workshops? If you had more time in your presentation, what would you have done differently? What do you think an appropriate referral is? Tell me about yourself? What do you know about Cal Poly? and Cal Poly's culture? What do you know about Advising here at Cal Poly? Advising philosophy? How do you keep a good rapport with students? NCAA experience? --   1 Answer

I am still waiting to hear...

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CAL POLY.

Interview

The interview process was very fast. It was one interview with your potential boss. He/she asks several questions about different situation and problem solving skills. Some questions are pretty straight forward and others are more conceptual. Come ready to answer questions about your technical skills, leadership skills, and problem solving skills.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which you do not get along with your boss?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at CAL POLY (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

general phone interview with four search committee members / explained research agenda / asked teaching & research & relevant professional experience / explained details about the recent publications/ it took me around 30 minutes

It is a teaching university, so they were more interested in my teaching experience than my research work or research skills.

Q&A time after the interview.
    Prepare for relevant questions

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

It was really relaxed and simple. They just want to see if you can look professional enough and hold a conversation. There wasn't anything difficult or stressful about it. Usually they just need a little extra help with managing offices. You come into the office and will meet whoever you will be working under. They will probably have your resume printed out just to ask some simple questions to get a better understanding of what you've done in the past.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at CAL POLY.

Interview

LONG.
    Application posted in December.
    Phone interview in the beginning of February.
    Group video chat about the role in late February.
    Conference Interview at NASPA/ACPA in the end of March.
    On-Campus interview in the end of April.
    References checked beginning of May. Supervisor told me they only asked 3 questions and one of them was "Has this candidate ever expressed any hostile tendencies?"
    Informal offer provided mid may. Offer letter not provided until 3 months into the job.

Campus Dining Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at CAL POLY in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process is very brief. Share your previous hospitality and food service experience. Be genuine. Do not forget to smile and be honest. Even though it is a campus dining position, remain professional.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with other?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A